Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Margotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are people with the 2016 and earlier frame using for BTA hydration? I am looking at this https://shop.visiontechusa.com/...t-hydratation-system and want to know if the BMC stem protudes too far out for this system to fit properly. I made the mistake of purchasing the Torhans Aero 30 BTA bottle and the sharp angle towards the base of the bottle interferes with the stem setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Fresh79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TorHans 20 for me.

HED base bar, USE bars.
Last edited by: esox.flucius: Jun 2, 19 7:16
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [esox.flucius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my 2017 TM02. Built up with Alpha X Bars, Omega X front brake, Power2Max PM, Flo Wheels, Dash saddle, Ultegra mechanical. Raced on it for the last 2 years...only issue is the storage box has popped off a few times during rides (once during a 70.3).

Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [esox.flucius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello All,
I looked at these bikes many moons ago, and ended up at the time getting a medium trek SC, with med/far stem and 20mm spacer. I'm 178cm. My buddy is selling his 2012 BMC tm01 on the cheap, however he is 182cm and its a M-L. From my research most people, atleast at my height, are riding a M-S. With my armpad reach (bb to back of pad 413mm give or take since i have moved it a touch more forward than this retul sizing, but i digress, and pad stack of BB to pad top around 620mm) am i able to fit a M-L? i tend to ride fairly steep and quite forward, but i have heard the BMC fit is a bit 'funny'. FWIW my mate has a big ass cobra stem and no spare bolts, so i cant really test it in its existing set up as its perched way too high. I would purchase bolts and reduce stem length etc for fit. Anyone got any size input based on this? Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Watts.uhthedeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watts.uhthedeal wrote:
Here's my 2017 TM02. Built up with Alpha X Bars, Omega X front brake, Power2Max PM, Flo Wheels, Dash saddle, Ultegra mechanical. Raced on it for the last 2 years...only issue is the storage box has popped off a few times during rides (once during a 70.3).

What BTA mount do u use ? And saddle bidon holder ?
I am looking for one myself but don't know what to choose tbh.

Nice looking bike,
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Roflpain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 5' 8", still riding my 2012 BMC TM01, size M/S. You are 2 inches taller. Off the cuff, I think you would need a plain Medium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roflpain wrote:
Watts.uhthedeal wrote:

Nice looking bike,

I use the Tririg BTA Mount that came with the Alpha X kit. For the saddle mount, I use the XLab Delta 200.

Xlab Gorilla cages at both locations.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Hello All,
I looked at these bikes many moons ago, and ended up at the time getting a medium trek SC, with med/far stem and 20mm spacer. I'm 178cm. My buddy is selling his 2012 BMC tm01 on the cheap, however he is 182cm and its a M-L. From my research most people, atleast at my height, are riding a M-S. With my armpad reach (bb to back of pad 413mm give or take since i have moved it a touch more forward than this retul sizing, but i digress, and pad stack of BB to pad top around 620mm) am i able to fit a M-L? i tend to ride fairly steep and quite forward, but i have heard the BMC fit is a bit 'funny'. FWIW my mate has a big ass cobra stem and no spare bolts, so i cant really test it in its existing set up as its perched way too high. I would purchase bolts and reduce stem length etc for fit. Anyone got any size input based on this? Thank you.

I don't know if it helps....
I am 184cm, inner leg length is 91cm. I have long legs for my height and I have a TM01 medium/large.
I might have gone for one size bigger I think. Cause my saddle is very high and I have a huge stack of spacers in the front. I am not very bendy.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Watts.uhthedeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watts.uhthedeal wrote:
Roflpain wrote:
Watts.uhthedeal wrote:

Nice looking bike,

I use the Tririg BTA Mount that came with the Alpha X kit. For the saddle mount, I use the XLab Delta 200.

Xlab Gorilla cages at both locations.

Thx for the reply, the gorilla cage is the best. I already have this. GL with the bike ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all

i'm running a 2014 / 2015 (bought second hand) TM01. Had to brake hard the other week to avoid a car and the front wheel locked, sending me over the bars.

I'm running Zipp 808's & 25mm Conti GP4000 II clinchers. It looks like the integrated brake housing fouled the tyre, stopping the wheel. The clearance looks to be absolutley minimal under the fork.

Does anyone know if this is a known problem? Should i stick to a 23mm on the front?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Jwb_LDN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I had a 2016 TM01 I was unable to run 25s up front because of the rake. Wheel would spin but under load rubbed, just stuck with a 23
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 2018 model and there is also a 23mm front tyre recommended.
They called all models back to the shop to make sure u have enough clearance so... I also had a 25mm in front and changed it to 23mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you say, I have a 2018 as well now and just had it inspected yesterday at InsideOutSports. I need a new fork, at first my serial number and fork checked out but was emailed by BMC to have it checked out again. Same as you said, they (BMC) recommend a 23 up front until the fork is replaced. The headset was the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roflpain wrote:
They called all models back to the shop to make sure u have enough clearance so... I also had a 25mm in front and changed it to 23mm.

When you say all models, i assume you mean all the new models, rather than older models?

Seems like changing back to a 23mm is safest option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jwb_LDN wrote:
Roflpain wrote:

When you say all models, i assume you mean all the new models, rather than older models?

Seems like changing back to a 23mm is safest option.

Excuse me for the confusion. All 2018 models where called back.

But yes, 23 is the safer option i think. And the most aero ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone heard of any steerer tube failures? My 2014 TM02 has failed already.

Also does anyone have any forks? I'm awaiting a response from both my local dealer and BMC.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [blueathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently got a secondhand BMC Timemachine TM01 frame and fork. A 2014 model or thereabouts.

Firstly, thank you to everyone on this thread for your contributions. I read every post.

I wanted to share some of the things I did, in case they can help others who still ride (and love) this bike.

I equipped my TM01 with a Zipp Vuka Aero v2 handlebar and SRAM RED eTap clics and blips. I am using a knockoff K-Edge Gravity Top Cap Mount to hold the blip box. The blip and clic cables are secured with shrink wrap. The brake cables are Jagwire Elite Link, because they are easier to use with tight bends -- somewhat inspired by Kristin Armstrong's bike in Dan's "preparer" article.

One of the rear brake arms had a stronger return spring. To keep the pads off the rim I am using a small coil spring from an auto parts store. I ditched the original BMC 90-degree tubes and use cut-down, bendable V-brake noodles. To prepare them, I cut off the bottom, slide out the plastic sleeve, cut the bendable section down to 35-40mm long, put the plastic sleeve back in, and trim the plastic sleeve. The coil spring slides over that. The coil spring is a trick I learnt here.

To help others with fit when buying one of these: I am 183cm tall (6' 0") with a longer torso and 6' 2" arm span. I am on a M-L, matching a fit done by Rip at 51 Speedshop in Indianapolis several years ago. There is 13cm of armrest drop.

I have a Zipp Vuka Alumina BTA mount, but have not fitted it to this bike yet. I also tried to use 25mm Contintental GP4000S II, but they were too big. The rear wheel had to be set at the very back of the dropouts and the small amount of clearance between the front wheel and the frame made me uncomfortable. I went back to 23mm.
Last edited by: odds_and_ends: Jul 14, 19 10:34
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [odds_and_ends] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very well done.

The 25c of the Conti 5000 should fit no problem. I had to fool around with different noodle lengths and angles then shorten the brake housing to where I could fit a 25c 4000 in there since the brake was the limiter on tire clearance before the skewer went too far back in the dropout.

You seem pretty meticulous, but definitely run a steel skewer in the rear of that bike if you're not already. I tried a few different ones and kept coming back to the old, clunky steel ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the advice. On my frame, it appeared to be the rear wheel cutout and its plastic cover (for FD/Di2 access) that were rubbing. I will look at it again. I am using a Zipp skewer, so I will investigate that too.

Thank you both for the kind words. I enjoy the building almost as much as the riding. Although with internal cabling, it often takes longer than I would like!
Last edited by: odds_and_ends: Jul 14, 19 15:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a pic from the front where the stem grabs the basebar? I am interested to see how the Vuka stem cap fits over the BMC P2P stem
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Fresh79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question about the stem cap. I did a small amount of filing to get the bars as flat as I wanted. You're looking at the underside here.

I also added BTA hydration this afternoon. It's the Zipp Vuka Alumina BTA mount with Quickview. The cap on the bottle is a Speedfil A2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
odds_and_ends wrote:
Thank you for the advice. On my frame, it appeared to be the rear wheel cutout and its plastic cover (for FD/Di2 access) that were rubbing. I will look at it again.

Looking at it again may be all that it takes. I don't remember which one it was (maybe the bottom screw?), but I definitely had to put one in before the other or the cover didn't sit in there right and pushed out into the wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get a response on this from BMC? I also presume i need some replacement forks, but have been waiting for over 2 weeks for a response from BMC and got nothing. Exceptionally frustrating.

I found the below crack on the integrated 'stem', which i assume isn't good news.

If anyone knows the part number for the forks in this colour way, in a Medium Short, that would be very helpful. No idea where i'll try and find some, but it would be a start! Racing in 6 weeks and starting to get worried i won't have a bike...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you UK? Evans can get info but I got a decent response over a couple of days from BMC..... unfortunately they can't get blue. You might be in better luck with the integrated one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, UK based. Tried Evans and they basically said to go direct as it would be quicker...
Quote Reply

Prev Next