Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
40-Tude wrote:
3 jury duty experiences, never served.

3. Got another jury summons for a car accident case but wasn't selected during voir dire, then got questioned/lectured later in chambers by the judge about the importance of being impartial. I said sorry, but I can't and wouldn't weigh expert testimony equally if one expert is an Ortho, and the other expert is a Chiropractor. I would give greater weight/expert credit to the Orthopaedic. Still would today.

Interesting interpretation of impartiality by the judge since it is the jury's duty to determine the veracity of the expert.

I know we got very clear instructions not to weigh the testimony of the police officer any different than anyone else, but do they say the same for an expert witness? I assume they get that distinction since they have been qualified as an expert. Does that mean then that all expert witnesses testimonies should be viewed the same? Why? as a jury I have the right to decide who's testimony I believe. Then again just cause one is Ortho and one is a Chiropractor doesn't mean flat out the ortho's testimony should win. Ortho, might have been a complete idiot or argument and ignored the facts in front of them. There are degreed scientists, who have some very unscientific beliefs and will testify to them. So just having a title in your name or degree in your pocket should not mean much, need more evidence to believe your special.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
Can't wait to get selected again.

Perhaps you can ask to volunteer, as it may ne long before you will be called again.[/quote]
Unfortunately the US system does not allow that, it is purely random.

On of my fellow Jurors Aunt had been called 11 times. This was the 5th time for another Juror.

It will be at least a year..

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the court room the jury does decide veracity but the court “qualifies” an expert , ie do they have sufficient knowledge, experience, training and education to educate the jury on an issue that is not common knowledge. If qualified, it isn’t for a jury to dismiss the osteopath because he or she is a quack on that basis. If they testify in ways that make them a quack, that’s different
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(Edited because the indent function puts stupid blue boxes around things making the post difficult to read)

Update:

Round 1- just after this thread was started- ended in a no go. They gave me a juror number and a had to call in on the day before I was expected to report. When I called, they said I didn't have to report.

Round 2- about a month later- got another summons letter. Apparently I'm on the hook for up to 90 days after the initial summons and them excusing me the day before doesn't count. This time when I called, they said I had to report. I showed up in federal court this morning.

8:10- Arrival. Summons said to show up by 8:15. Security took my garmin watch out of fear that it could be a smart watch. I got ushered into the perspective juror waiting room. People slowly trickled in for the next 20 minutes. I was so bored that I took demographics:

Total Perspective Jurors= 28
African American= 2
Hispanic= 1
Asian= 1
Women= 12
Under 30= 2
Over 60= 8
Mohawk haircut coupled with a manbun= 1

8:40- Propaganda video- apparently they need to make people feel good about serving by forcing you to watch a 25 minute video telling you to feel good about serving. The most annoying part was that the sound was about 1/10th of a second out of synch with the lip motions of the people speaking.

9:15- Apologies for the AC not working very well.

9:40- Invited into the courtroom where we sat awaiting the judge to make an appearance.

9:50- Judge makes an appearance and felt the need to explain why we should feel good about serving by telling us to feel good about serving.

10:00- Judge gives synapsis of the case. It was a civil case so 'unreasonable doubt' wasn't in play. It was a 'who do you believe more' kind of case. The deputy randomly selected 16 of the 28 to sit in the box for the elimination rounds. I was not selected to sit in the box and was stuck in the pews as a potential backup plan. The plaintiff/ defendant were not allowed to ask questions. The judge did all of the questioning. No one was eliminated by the judge during this process.

11:45- The litigants used their peremptory exclusions to eliminate 8 of the 16 in the box. They were dismissed along with the rest of us yahoos who got to sit there doing nothing.

And, apparently, since I didn't get called to actually sit on the jury, I'm still on the list to be summoned again in the next 40 days or so.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tri-Banter: Jul 15, 19 15:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"10:00- Judge gives synapsis of the case."

Well, that was nervy of him.

I was on jury duty this month too. Sat in a jury room for 90 minutes, got to watch a similar stupid video. Finally the judge came in, thanked us for showing up, and explained that the defendant had decided at the last minute to plead guilty thus we were all excused.

I'm proud to do my civic duty but I wish there was a more efficient process for jury selection.
Last edited by: eb: Jul 15, 19 15:25
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

---

Upon further review, we're both wrong. That was very meiotic of him.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

---

Upon further review, we're both wrong. That was very meiotic of him.

Ha! - TIL "synapsis" is a real word.
Quote Reply

Prev Next