Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Run with own bottle, refill at aid stations?
Quote | Reply
I'm probably overthinking things, but I like to carry my own water bottle when running and would like to do so during my upcoming IM. Will I be able to fill the bottle at aid stations (w/ water or gatorade or whatever), or do the volunteers only allow fluids to be delivered via dixie cups?
Quote Reply
Re: Run with own bottle, refill at aid stations? [eisforurgent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done this at 70.3's. Depending on the volunteers, they may dump the cups into your bottle for you, or you may have to grab the cups and do it yourself. I'm not sure if they'll take it from you and fill it from the cooler. It's probably faster to do the cups anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done it for the fulls that I did and the halfs. Carry a bottle from the start, and in the full distance grab the second at special needs pickup. I've had volunteers dump a handful of cups into it, or grab a pitcher if they have one there and dump that in too. I prefer it to the small cups, and I can actually get a real amount of fluid in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m planning on doing the same; having a bottle waiting for me at T2 and another bottle at special needs. I’ve been looking for an answer to this specific question in the athlete guide, but such an issue is not mentioned.

I suppose that if others have successfully been able to fill bottles at aid stations, you’ll be able to do the same at your IM.

The best way to know is to ask at the athlete meeting.

Which IM are you doing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it a lot for hot races. You can keep topping it off with ice and dribble ice water on your head and arms (arm coolers) to keep from overheating. Works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this for a couple of IMs. You will be fine, but be patient with volunteers at aid stations. Some might be able to help, some might not
Quote Reply
Re: Run with own bottle, refill at aid stations? [SBRLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRLaw wrote:
Which IM are you doing?

IM Zurich this weekend. Couldn't find anything in the athlete guide either. I'll give it a whirl, worst case scenario I just dump the bottle and stick to the dixies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also freeze it the night before. Then there's more possibility of it being cold. If possible, you could also have a very small cooler at your transition that you keep the bottle in to keep it cold/frozen.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done it several times in Kona. Worked very well.
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done it lots at IM and 70.3 No issues and just run up with the top off, volunteers will gladly put whatever you want in it. Can't say as I've ever had to do it myself, but i'd be fine if that was the case
Quote Reply