Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't tell if you guys are trolling thinking this is an accurate daily portrayal or if you've been successfully trolled my Lionel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
This type of diet is one thing for the average Joe, but quite different when competing for world championships. Maybe this was a cheat day. That’s okay on occasion, but pizza is something I eat once every month or two. It has to be thin crust and usually one meat only. To each his own, but smashing pizzas on occasion seems fine, more often than on occasion and it’s not good. He’s lucky he’s not in his forties. You inhale air and gain weight.

playero wrote:
FasterTwitch wrote:
I get what you're saying but you may not understand the truth about eating clean. If you need 6,000 calories a day just to maintain your weight and you eat them all "healthy" (chicken/broccoli/brown rice), you're taking in so much fiber you'll explode. The highest decorated Olympic athlete of all time was burning so much that he was crushing pizzas and ripping bongs just to maintain weight and to stay hungry enough to eat.

What is "healthy" for someone eating 1200-2000 calories a day (hitting minimum values), is not ideal for someone who needs to pack in 6000+ a day (likely going so far over recommended values that they suffer from adverse affects of health foods). Their needs are entirely different.

Of course, this all changes depending on goals and time of year, cut, bulk, building..etc.

The idea of eating 6000 "clean" calories is mostly reserved for World's Strongest Men and body builders (ie. sendentary individuals (no cardio) interesting in maximizing muscle gains with minimal fat gains) during a training block. An endurance athlete crushing 6000 calories of broccoli, white meat chicken, and brown rice/pasta is simply unsustainable, imo.

Nutrition is one thing. Fueling for sustained continuous top-level athletic performance is something totally different.

Bone density, for one, is easily affected by changes in diet.

Finally someone with a bit of sense!

Ok, so I must be some sort of dietary unicorn then -
I’m in my 50’s and eat pizza 2-3x a week, plus drink 1-2 beers pretty much every day.

My BF % is in the single digits.

And I only train single digit hours in a typical week.

So - I’m sure a guy who trains as much and as hard as LS does, can eat pizza if he wants to.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dexa scan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Go into a local pizza joint and tell me how many skinny people you see. The answer will be zero. They’re usually loaded with processed meat, heavy bread (fattening carbs), ridiculous amounts of high fat cheese, and marinara sauce (lots of sugar). That’s just the base pizza without extra toppings. The food itself is very heavy as well. Put it this way, if you eat pizza you’re coming in a couple pounds heavier the next day. Thin crust is better, but it’s still a far cry from being part of a healthy diet.

In my honest opinion, eating pizza, chips and soda can’t be any worse of a diet and many people’s sustenance comes from such a diet.

And yet, very few people in this forum are or even have been world class athletes. Ask Monty or Dan what they ate when they trained in their peak. You're over analyzing a day of eating. I highly doubt that is a normal day. However, Chad Johnson...got it, NFL, and not Ironman used to eat McDonald's every day. For most of us pizza doesn't fuel performance. But for someone like Lionel who trains 4-5 hrs/day and has elite genetics this day is northing to him.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Go into a local pizza joint and tell me how many skinny people you see.

Depends where you live. I've also seen plenty of skinny people who eat inordinate amounts of sh!t.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems according to STers, 100% healthy eating is the ONLY option
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed after a few hard days of training coupled with clean eating, I snap. It probably stems from not enough calories. It doesn't help that I don't get hungry until noon most days, and like to stop eating around 6-7 since I'm usually in bed around 8-10.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Guys it was one day of eating. Chill out

Exactly. I doubt he eats a whole pizza every night.

People still insist that Michael Phelps "one day of eating" thing from years ago was what he ate every day even though he said it was not typical.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude if you respect someone less because of what they eat...……...you need to take a look at yourself
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:
I get what you're saying but you may not understand the truth about eating clean. If you need 6,000 calories a day just to maintain your weight and you eat them all "healthy" (chicken/broccoli/brown rice), you're taking in so much fiber you'll explode. The highest decorated Olympic athlete of all time was burning so much that he was crushing pizzas and ripping bongs just to maintain weight and to stay hungry enough to eat.

What is "healthy" for someone eating 1200-2000 calories a day (hitting minimum values), is not ideal for someone who needs to pack in 6000+ a day (likely going so far over recommended values that they suffer from adverse affects of health foods). Their needs are entirely different.

Of course, this all changes depending on goals and time of year, cut, bulk, building..etc.

The idea of eating 6000 "clean" calories is mostly reserved for World's Strongest Men and body builders (ie. sendentary individuals (no cardio) interesting in maximizing muscle gains with minimal fat gains) during a training block. An endurance athlete crushing 6000 calories of broccoli, white meat chicken, and brown rice/pasta is simply unsustainable, imo.

Nutrition is one thing. Fueling for sustained continuous top-level athletic performance is something totally different.

This^^^^^^^ pretty much ended the discussion. Spot on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sodium and dietary fat don't make you fat, calorie surpluses do. You can be 5% bodyfat eating entirely junk food as long as you're not in a surplus. In fact it's impossible to gain any considerable body fat without being in a surplus.

Blood tests can determine if his cardiovascular/blood health is suffering but if those markers are all in the right range and his energy levels are up there's nothing wrong with his diet.

It's likely healthier food would improve overall energy/recovery but a so-called unhealthy diet is vastly overrated by most standards. How much time do we spend analyzing max fuel absorption rate for IM distance events? For a guy that burns close to 7k cals per day, aka 300 cals per hour, he needs dense energy sources at all times. Are there healthier sources? Absolutely. If his blood markers and hormonal levels are in check and his training is going well, changing his entire diet around could easily create more stress and harm through dissatisfaction than it could help.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He ate a damn banana on the bike. Cut the guy a break FFS.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:

This post/thread are really opening my eyes. I struggle to get enough calories eating clean without nearly tripling daily fiber recommendations and/or getting moody. Thought this a problem with me.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tour de France cyclists eat 5,000 cal per day for the flat course and 7,000 cal for the hilly course. Lionel's diet is crazy. Anyway, I just hope he gets Kona slot, so he can make IM more interesting.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...our-de-france-182775
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps he doesn't eat this much garbage and isn't as unknowledgeable about nutrition, rather he is trolling other competitors , just like someone trolled him into the sub caloric vegan diet he recently attempted
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Has a new video

How healthy or unhealthy would you say his one day of eating was?

My biggest concern was the workout, 5 X 5 minutes at 315 Watts. Are his watts still limited due to his injury? He was hoping to do 330 Watts for 4 hours in Kona, that aint happening based on that workout whatsoever. I guess his biking has really fallen a lot during the injury, his watts were WAY WAY higher pre injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Perhaps he doesn't eat this much garbage and isn't as unknowledgeable about nutrition, rather he is trolling other competitors , just like someone trolled him into the sub caloric vegan diet he recently attempted

For any young athletes reading this thread in particular, I think it's essential not to overthink these nutrition choices or label any food as garbage. Pizza is basically a key food group of many top endurance athletes and I wouldn't object to a healthy athlete eating it every single day. The same goes for fries or ice cream or whatever else brings you joy and works for your body. Being at dinner tables with pros with long careers, the main thing that unites them is eating enough always and not worrying too much about the little details.

------
David Roche
"The Happy Runner" book: https://www.amazon.com/...Longer/dp/1492567647
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

More likely that he (and Talbot) is trolling the people on this board that over analyze 10 minute snippets of what the guy does once every 3 weeks. I'm really surprised people fail to see this when viewing his videos.
Last edited by: pvolb: Jul 15, 19 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the compliment man. This was such a fun video to make. Of course, it's not Lionel's everyday diet lol. This was a random day of hard training plus a pizza party for the NBA Finals and cupcakes for my birthday celebration. Woot Woot

I will say this though I think everyone on this blog ST would absolutely crap their pants if they saw what most of these athletes eat. I have had a chance to spend time with pretty much every top-level athlete in our sport. (Outside of Jan) and watch their daily routines and diets. I can assure you a lot, a lot, a lot of junk food. From Ryf, To Lange, too Gwen, Tim and Rinny, Ellie, Lucy Charles. This is extremely normal for these types of athletes. Speaking of that if I had a $ for every time we were at a race and Tim and Rinny had me run to the store to get Ice cream I would be $$$$.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re 100% spot on Talbot. These pro triathletes are generally in their 20’s to early 30’s and doing a tremendous amount of volume. Due to age,
training and genetics most can get away with bloody murder in the diet department.

Compare that to your average ST AG’er that’s 40-55 years old and doing 1/2 to 1/3 of the training load and intensity and crushing pizzas, cupcakes and pints of ice cream just isn’t going to work to stay lean and healthy.

talbotcox wrote:
Thanks for the compliment man. This was such a fun video to make. Of course, it's not Lionel's everyday diet lol. This was a random day of hard training plus a pizza party for the NBA Finals and cupcakes for my birthday celebration. Woot Woot

I will say this though I think everyone on this blog ST would absolutely crap their pants if they saw what most of these athletes eat. I have had a chance to spend time with pretty much every top-level athlete in our sport. (Outside of Jan) and watch their daily routines and diets. I can assure you a lot, a lot, a lot of junk food. From Ryf, To Lange, too Gwen, Tim and Rinny, Ellie, Lucy Charles. This is extremely normal for these types of athletes. Speaking of that if I had a $ for every time we were at a race and Tim and Rinny had me run to the store to get Ice cream I would be $$$$.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:

Missing the point. Ice cream is fine if needed for energy just intake, made from real milk , sugar and eggs. Ice cream with hydrogen bombed oils, monoglycerides, etc... Will catch up to the athlete eventually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
I can assure you a lot, a lot, a lot of junk food. From Ryf, To Lange, too Gwen, Tim and Rinny, Ellie, Lucy Charles. This is extremely normal for these types of athletes.

Thanks for the nice video. I really enjoyed it. No kidding. I eat really healthy and clean mostly plant based, but after the race I crave a big ass Whataburger with fries and soda which I never want to eat usually. I can tell my body is screaming for high calories and carb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would have to be eating a significant amount of "bad" fats, day after day, with greatly reduced physical activity for it to take a serious toll on your body. Diet is all about balance, and pro athletes are not in the dark about this. If you balance your protein/carb/fat intake and make sure you are getting proper fruit/vegetable intake for fiber and micronutrients, the high performing athlete will not suffer from eating ice cream, pizza, etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
You’re 100% spot on Talbot. These pro triathletes are generally in their 20’s to early 30’s and doing a tremendous amount of volume. Due to age,
training and genetics most can get away with bloody murder in the diet department.

Compare that to your average ST AG’er that’s 40-55 years old and doing 1/2 to 1/3 of the training load and intensity and crushing pizzas, cupcakes and pints of ice cream just isn’t going to work to stay lean and healthy.

talbotcox wrote:

Quote Reply

Prev Next