Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel Sanders one day of eating
Quote | Reply
Has a new video

How healthy or unhealthy would you say his one day of eating was?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moderate but he does not care he just wants the calories there are alot of things he could improve on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After seeing inside Patrick Lange's fridge, full of Coca-cola cans, makes me wonder how strict a diet many pro's follow during their build periods. Obviously when you're training 30 to 35 hours a week, you need a lot of calories regardless if they're processed/whole foods/simple vs complex carbs/ etc.

Hats off to Talbot on that video though, the editing was excellent. Not easy to make a cohesive storyline and topic for each video. Well done TC!!

And as a fan, it's really fun to see LS behind-the-scenes. He has a great personality. Genuinely a funny dude.
Last edited by: BT_DreamChaser: Jul 13, 19 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [Rayan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He goes from a crap diet to an hardcore plant based diet and back to shit. Total shit diet. Sure he’s getting the cals but damn fruit loops, chocolate milks, lunch with a gallon of BBQ sauce. Tons of sugar. Then a massive pizza loaded with fat and sodium? First thought is how so lean? I know he’s burning a crap ton but still. At least he’s not depleted, but can’t this guy find middle ground? All or nothing with everything. There’s not a lot of stability. I like his humor and transparency though.

Rayan wrote:
Moderate but he does not care he just wants the calories there are alot of things he could improve on.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel is a former drug addict. Self torture, self loathing, and self flagellation is his style.
He became a monster while fueling on garbage. The second he domesticated himself (marriage), started eating "right" (vegetarian/eating disorder), his testosterone dropped and he lost his edge. It's just what happens to monogamous men. Instability is the area where Lionel is proven to thrive. The idea that he should emulate Lange or Frodo is antithetical to his success, and he proved it last year. Lionel needs to do Lionel.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He doesn’t need to go to an extreme diet one way or another. He could eat healthy and not exist solely on lettuce and carrots. He can also get in a lot of cals without smashing fruit loops and pizza. Not everything has to be healthy but he’s taking in a lot of sugar, sodium and fat. Eating like that daily isn’t built for long term success in sport or health.

FasterTwitch wrote:
Lionel is a former drug addict. Self torture, self loathing, and self flagellation is his style.
He became a monster while fueling on garbage. The second he domesticated himself (marriage), started eating "right" (vegetarian/eating disorder), his testosterone dropped and he lost his edge. It's just what happens to monogamous men. Instability is the area where Lionel is proven to thrive. The idea that he should emulate Lange or Frodo is antithetical to his success, and he proved it last year. Lionel needs to do Lionel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get what you're saying but you may not understand the truth about eating clean. If you need 6,000 calories a day just to maintain your weight and you eat them all "healthy" (chicken/broccoli/brown rice), you're taking in so much fiber you'll explode. The highest decorated Olympic athlete of all time was burning so much that he was crushing pizzas and ripping bongs just to maintain weight and to stay hungry enough to eat.

What is "healthy" for someone eating 1200-2000 calories a day (hitting minimum values), is not ideal for someone who needs to pack in 6000+ a day (likely going so far over recommended values that they suffer from adverse affects of health foods). Their needs are entirely different.

Of course, this all changes depending on goals and time of year, cut, bulk, building..etc.

The idea of eating 6000 "clean" calories is mostly reserved for World's Strongest Men and body builders (ie. sendentary individuals (no cardio) interesting in maximizing muscle gains with minimal fat gains) during a training block. An endurance athlete crushing 6000 calories of broccoli, white meat chicken, and brown rice/pasta is simply unsustainable, imo.

Nutrition is one thing. Fueling for sustained continuous top-level athletic performance is something totally different.

Bone density, for one, is easily affected by changes in diet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a day he had people over at his house for a game day. Why does everything have to be sooooooo on point. When you look at the Rock's diet. Think about how much work it takes to eat a pound of cod at breakfast.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
He goes from a crap diet to an hardcore plant based diet and back to shit. Total shit diet. Sure he’s getting the cals but damn fruit loops, chocolate milks, lunch with a gallon of BBQ sauce. Tons of sugar. Then a massive pizza loaded with fat and sodium? First thought is how so lean? I know he’s burning a crap ton but still. At least he’s not depleted, but can’t this guy find middle ground? All or nothing with everything. There’s not a lot of stability. I like his humor and transparency though.

Rayan wrote:

Yeah I do love him, but feel if he can't become a little bit more stable and grounded there won't be a happy heading to the Lionel Sanders story. You obviously get down when you're injured, but lying on the couch for 3 weeks, depressed, playing video games till 2am.... that ain't good. And the fix isn't to get over the injury and get back to training, the fix is to figure out a way to not be manically depressed when you're injured.. the guys going to have a nervous breakdown, or top himself or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Yeah I do love him, but feel if he can't become a little bit more stable and grounded there won't be a happy heading to the Lionel Sanders story.

I've only been paying attention for 3 years or so, but it seems to me that "stable and grounded" has been poison for his performance.
Certainly, stable and grounded is great for some. Others, not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Then a massive pizza loaded with fat and sodium? First thought is how so lean?

hmmm.... makes you think. Like, maybe fat and sodium are important?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Pizza gets a bad rap. It's not so terrible. If you ate the ingredients of a pizza separate and in a more froufrou form, it'd be thought of differently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good clean day of eating. I'm sure Jan would crush meatlovers za' if he is ever desperately trying to qualify for Kona to save his career.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go into a local pizza joint and tell me how many skinny people you see. The answer will be zero. They’re usually loaded with processed meat, heavy bread (fattening carbs), ridiculous amounts of high fat cheese, and marinara sauce (lots of sugar). That’s just the base pizza without extra toppings. The food itself is very heavy as well. Put it this way, if you eat pizza you’re coming in a couple pounds heavier the next day. Thin crust is better, but it’s still a far cry from being part of a healthy diet.

In my honest opinion, eating pizza, chips and soda can’t be any worse of a diet and many people’s sustenance comes from such a diet.

HardlyTrying wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Pizza gets a bad rap. It's not so terrible. If you ate the ingredients of a pizza separate and in a more froufrou form, it'd be thought of differently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train quite a lot and I also eat a lot of calories.

For a long time I tried to eat very healthy. The amount required to eat was enormous and often workouts would suffer form digesting issues and I often felt very full but still ravenous.

A while ago I started a different approach. My main meals are often healthy and balanced with a good amount of vegetables and stuff. I still snack a lot on fruit. But I would also cover some of my calories with chocolate, cake and ice cream. During very hard training blocks I would also drink coke. And every now and then a good pizza is heaven.

The funny thing is that my body feels way better when I have a bit of junk in my diet. And the training also goes better.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the YouTube channel battle world this instability of Lionel makes me respect him less and more to triathlon taren who can stick to a plan / lifestyle. I like freshii but he is making them look bad with his fruit loops (partially hydrogenated oil).
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
In the YouTube channel battle world this instability of Lionel makes me respect him less and more to triathlon taren who can stick to a plan / lifestyle. I like freshii but he is making them look bad with his fruit loops (partially hydrogenated oil).

You respect him less for having a bowl of cereal?? Talk about petty.... I hope you don't read up on Michael Phelps diet on his way to winning a million gold medals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

I bet they really care what you think too. Good thing you posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:
I get what you're saying but you may not understand the truth about eating clean. If you need 6,000 calories a day just to maintain your weight and you eat them all "healthy" (chicken/broccoli/brown rice), you're taking in so much fiber you'll explode. The highest decorated Olympic athlete of all time was burning so much that he was crushing pizzas and ripping bongs just to maintain weight and to stay hungry enough to eat.

What is "healthy" for someone eating 1200-2000 calories a day (hitting minimum values), is not ideal for someone who needs to pack in 6000+ a day (likely going so far over recommended values that they suffer from adverse affects of health foods). Their needs are entirely different.

Of course, this all changes depending on goals and time of year, cut, bulk, building..etc.

The idea of eating 6000 "clean" calories is mostly reserved for World's Strongest Men and body builders (ie. sendentary individuals (no cardio) interesting in maximizing muscle gains with minimal fat gains) during a training block. An endurance athlete crushing 6000 calories of broccoli, white meat chicken, and brown rice/pasta is simply unsustainable, imo.

Nutrition is one thing. Fueling for sustained continuous top-level athletic performance is something totally different.

Finally someone with a bit of sense!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This type of diet is one thing for the average Joe, but quite different when competing for world championships. Maybe this was a cheat day. That’s okay on occasion, but pizza is something I eat once every month or two. It has to be thin crust and usually one meat only. To each his own, but smashing pizzas on occasion seems fine, more often than on occasion and it’s not good. He’s lucky he’s not in his forties. You inhale air and gain weight.

playero wrote:
FasterTwitch wrote:

Finally someone with a bit of sense!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are many reasons I will never be FOP in IM and I’m happy to add my diet to that list. Don’t get me wrong I don’t have the worst eating habits but not the greatest either. I try to eat reasonably healthy and have enough GI issues that crushing pizzas is not an option. But if I have a bunch of hard workouts over the weekend I’m not shying away from taking in some bigger calories. especially knowing I’ve got months of big weeks of workouts ahead. And a nice coke after a workout is the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
There are many reasons I will never be FOP in IM and I’m happy to add my diet to that list. Don’t get me wrong I don’t have the worst eating habits but not the greatest either. I try to eat reasonably healthy and have enough GI issues that crushing pizzas is not an option. But if I have a bunch of hard workouts over the weekend I’m not shying away from taking in some bigger calories. especially knowing I’ve got months of big weeks of workouts ahead. And a nice coke after a workout is the best.

The issue isn't the calories, but the processed Frankenstein food stuff that cannot be measured in calories. They effect hormones and all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get that but it can be a bit more challenging to get a lot of calories eating very clean. Not impossible of course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys it was one day of eating. Chill out

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders one day of eating [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You realize 1,500 on the pizza alone is a large pizza in its entirety. It’s less than 1/4 of what he took in that day. That’s nuts. His age, level of activity and metabolism are definitely in his favor.

mickison wrote:
I get that but it can be a bit more challenging to get a lot of calories eating very clean. Not impossible of course
Quote Reply

Prev Next