Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Age group world championship questions [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, highly likely it's going to be the same course as this year. Hilly and technical, but I would still favor the TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Today, the Government of Spain has announced that general elections will take place on Sunday the 28th of April, coinciding with the Standard Duathlon event of the Pontevedra 2019 ITU Multisport World Championships.
Due to this issue, the organisation is in communication with all the authorities to study the situation and assess the possible alternatives in the case that, finally, it were to be impossible to hold the event on this day.
We understand that participants will be concerned about holding the event on this day or a possible change of date for the race, and we will resolve this as soon as possible. We are in coordination with Pontevedra City Council, local government delegates and with the sports authorities in charge of the organization of the 2019 Pontevedra Multisport World Championships and will give you an answer as soon as we can."

Unforunately this is the distance/race I will be competing in. As an age grouper that has already paid for flight/lodging/fees/etc I am gutted, but understand that it is out of my control. Has anyone else been through events like this? Were you able to get refunded for the registration fee because they moved the date? Does the event usually switch dates or is the race coordinator able to work around the logistical mess?
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [pkeys00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a new one for me. the entry fees are usually non-refundable, so not sure how much luck you will have (they did some date changes last year at Multisport worlds after the initial announcements that caused some people headaches with travel... Likely the event would only move one day in either direction to get around the conflict, otherwise it potentially impacts more races, which is generally what the RD will want to avoid... I generally try to book myself a buffer before and after my race so that if ever there is something like this that comes up (or major t-storms that end up pushing a race back by a day), I'm not S.O.L.

With all of this, I'm kind of glad I am skipping the festival this year (although I likely would have raced the sprint Du, not the standard), but it sucks when something unpredictable like this potentially messes up people's race plans...

In terms of the case itself, doing some reading, my guess is the race moves to the Monday, given that Spanish elections always occur on Sundays (which is bizarre to me), and that it's illegal to hold things such as sporting events on election day... Given that the cross Tri was planned for Tuesday, the only logical option is to move the Standard Du to Monday (moving it to Saturday would be problematic for anyone who had planned to race both Duathlons, so I can't see that happening).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lausanne just released their course maps - for anyone interested:
https://bit.ly/...1-6D1p_HCLHmic-G9EQg

Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get that climbing cassette ready! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [pkeys00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://pontevedra2019.org/...-call-for-elections/

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you see the elevation map?

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One section is marked on the map as a 10% grade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
Where did you see the elevation map?

The sprint course is marked as having a 10% climb and 12% descent (look for the little triangles), There's nothing marked on the standard map, but the same two sections feature in that course as well... I'm not racing Lausanne this year, but it makes me happy that there's a fierce climb on a street named Ouchy...
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [Bib02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bib02 wrote:
Yes, highly likely it's going to be the same course as this year. Hilly and technical, but I would still favor the TT bike.

I'm interested to know if those that are going to Lausanne are planning on a TT bike or road bike after seeing the maps? It looks like 3 hills, one a cat 5 but only an average grade of 3.3% (max of 9%). I'm torn....I also mapped this out on map my ride. There are 446 meters of elevation over the two laps on the standard.
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [Birch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birch wrote:
Bib02 wrote:

I'm interested to know if those that are going to Lausanne are planning on a TT bike or road bike after seeing the maps? It looks like 3 hills, one a cat 5 but only an average grade of 3.3% (max of 9%). I'm torn....I also mapped this out on map my ride. There are 446 meters of elevation over the two laps on the standard.

here for comparison is the 2006 Lausanne worlds route, which included the same climb of 9-10% on Vallee de la Jeunesse as this years',

One unexpected feature of that route was a steep descent on a cobbled road, which resulted in several crashes.
Check this years' route to see if they have included a surprise like that ;-)

Given the hills and number of turns and numbers of racers on the course, I chose to race a road bike with shorty aerobars, ITU-style, like Tim Don who won the actual championships..

my wholly unwarranted over-long race report from Lausanne 2006 is here..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the Strava profile, any recommendations TT or roadie for standard distance?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/41934966
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long is the cobblestone section and where on the AG course are they located?
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sprint is draft legal so no choice but to run a road bike. Will put on a 32 cassette for that climb just in case. Looks like a fantastic course can't wait to get out there and test it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [mdiet22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the cobblestone section is in this year's course.
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would get penalized in our local race series for unbuckling on the way to the racks in T2
I've raced and marshalled and that's our instruction.
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [awesomeaunt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No cobblestones, three climbs, one steep but very short. Rest if FAST. TT bike all the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
No cobblestones, three climbs, one steep but very short. Rest if FAST. TT bike all the way.

Is d'Ouchy the steepest one?
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [awesomeaunt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avenue des Bains is steeper than Ouchy (but slightly shorter). Vallee de la Jeunesse is longer but the steeper bit is very short (about 200 meters). Downhills are fast and non-technical for the most part, the rest if flat and fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Avenue des Bains is steeper than Ouchy (but slightly shorter). Vallee de la Jeunesse is longer but the steeper bit is very short (about 200 meters). Downhills are fast and non-technical for the most part, the rest if flat and fast.
Good to know... I ride a 1x 54 with 11-28... was wondering how much climbing there would be on the course. Sounds like I should be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
sonofdad wrote:
Unfortunately I am one of those idiots. There was nowhere to try on a one piece within 3 hours of me, so I defaulted to the two piece. Those who are unlucky enough to see my gut can blame the manufacturer or rep.

Anecdote: I raced both the Standard and Sprint Du in Fyn last summer, and the morning of second race I was stopped by a representative of Triathlon Canada who handed me some safety pins and told me that they had been warned that any "uniform infractions" that day would be penalized.

The safety pins worked fine. Two in the front and two in the back - no problem. I used my uniform a couple of times later in the summer, and found out that if you hike up your shorts and tighten the drawstring properly, everything stays in place (this is 2XU - don't know what brand you have). But if racing ITU events: be prepared and use safety pins.

But I am taking the safe route and ordered myself a one piece for next year, even though I can use the two piece again.

Perhaps it's less common for the mens, but for many womens, kit roll- and slide-up is a real thing! I would suggest sewing some poppers (snaps) onto your kit. I put mine on the "corner" seams, two on front, two on back, with the male side on my shorts facing out. It's helpful if you can have someone put a mark at the point on your back that your kit sits when you're in aero, otherwise you'll likely find that the kit is a bit tight when you're bent over.
Quote Reply
Re: Age group world championship questions [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
You would get penalized in our local race series for unbuckling on the way to the racks in T2
I've raced and marshalled and that's our instruction.

In an ITU event, you would for sure be penalized for unbuckling before your bike is racked (I've raced and officiated at that level).

You can find the equipment rules in the ITU Rulebook, for the sprint, it's draft-legal, so it's a straight up traditional road bike with no aerobars. For standard distance you have options...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know of about the availability of pumps/wrenching equipment?. I don't want to bring a floor pump, and would rather not buy a hand pump.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
Anyone know of about the availability of pumps/wrenching equipment?. I don't want to bring a floor pump, and would rather not buy a hand pump.

If you're part of TeamUSA, they should have bike mechanics available at the team hotel.
Quote Reply

Prev Next