Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Aging of the IM field
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the IMLP start list. It’s not news that the M45-49 AG surpassed the M40-44 AG a couple years ago in size. This was the first time I noticed M50-54 surpassing M40-44 in size. I’m sure it has happened in other races, but this seems notable. Three years ago, the early 40s men were the most crowded AG. Now, as those guys have gotten older, there haven’t been a lot of new entrants to the sport behind them.

Also notable that for slot allocation, we could see races where you need to be top 3 in M40-44 to qualify. A 50 yo could grab what would have once been the fourth slot.
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The amount of people willing to pay $800+ for a race entry is aging...

Those 40yr olds still have kids to put through college and 401(k)s to fund lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is indicative of when many of the current racers started and how few are coming in behind the current 10 year generation (45-55).

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This..
The entry for Nice and Frankfurt that came out today is ridiculous. €560!
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The AWA priority price for Des Moines 70.3 is $325!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are gradually priming us for prices of $1000 for a full and $500 for a half.

Oceanside tier 4 registration will be nearly $500 after fees.
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:

Not to mention all of the incidental expenses of racing an IM. For example, most IMs don't allow packet pickup the day before. The extra hotel days (2?) adds enormous cost onto an already expensive trip!
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
The AWA priority price for Des Moines 70.3 is $325!!!!

And that was before a $30 service fee & $20 in taxes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO this has more to do with demographics and generational differences than with folks’ financial situations.

I just bumped into 35-39 AG and I do not see a lot of folks either in my age bracket, or younger (25-29, 30-34) who are interested in the sport.

Folks who would have gone into tris in the past are going into cross-fit, tough mudders, video games or just are traveling/hanging out with friends.

Tris are seen as a mid-life-crisis type undertakings, where in the past you’d buy a sports car now you Lycra-up and get an expensive bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think both of the observations are correct.

The aging of the "participation generation" seems to be hurting the younger age groups in all participation sports -- even the reasonably priced races.

And silly-high entry fees naturally also skew the demographics of the entry list -- while making IM into a one-and-done bucket list event.

IM needs to take a lesson from golf. With an aging and dying demographic, golf participation has been falling for years. Hundreds of golf courses have gone out of business. A similar wave has begun in triathlon. It's time for the powers at the top of the sport to take measures to turn it around.
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:

The aging of the "participation generation" seems to be hurting the younger age groups in all participation sports -- even the reasonably priced races.

And silly-high entry fees naturally also skew the demographics of the entry list -- while making IM into a one-and-done bucket list event.

IM needs to take a lesson from golf. With an aging and dying demographic, golf participation has been falling for years. Hundreds of golf courses have gone out of business. A similar wave has begun in triathlon. It's time for the powers at the top of the sport to take measures to turn it around.

Agree, yet wonder if triathlon is still "cool". It used to be a cool / bucket list / bragging rights kind of thing to do. That doesn't seem to be as prevalent as it once was across age groups. There could also be some resentment if you are way healthier than your peer group these days.

Sports these days need to be aware of what has been mentioned - video games - and reinvent themselves virtually. I think we have a better chance getting someone hooked on Zwift than riding on the road. Hopefully the virtual reality experience creates a desire to actually do it outdoors. Or I'm being too optimistic about that happening...

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if WTC can really make that change. Are they really doing a lot to attempt to attract new athletes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the problems with current society is that the younger generation, as a whole, are not getting the kind of wages that earlier generations got.

Here in Toronto the average wage is pushing $60,000 pa, but I would defy most people to find anyone under 30 earning that. And that level of income is $100,000 shy of the income required to own a house. I had owned 6 houses by the time I was 30 and most of my friends had owned more than one.

What does this do to a sport that with time (which has a value), equipment, travel, and entry fees is fast becoming untenable for many, if they are to establish themselves economically. It's a problem in many sports that have become expensive in terms of time and money.

That the age groups are skewing to the older, established financially, sound populations is just one symptom of what will kill the sport if we don't get smarter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been in the biggest AG at every IM I've ever done since 2007.

Poon wrote:
I was looking at the IMLP start list. It’s not news that the M45-49 AG surpassed the M40-44 AG a couple years ago in size. This was the first time I noticed M50-54 surpassing M40-44 in size. I’m sure it has happened in other races, but this seems notable. Three years ago, the early 40s men were the most crowded AG. Now, as those guys have gotten older, there haven’t been a lot of new entrants to the sport behind them.

Also notable that for slot allocation, we could see races where you need to be top 3 in M40-44 to qualify. A 50 yo could grab what would have once been the fourth slot.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liability costs have grown high, and right of way closures spike in costs as population density grows. Race directors aren't gouging prices, it's just expensive.

Triathlon hasn't been cool in a while, and even if that changes, it won't draw new people unless we somehow reverse the vanishing of the middle class.
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a friend that is considerably younger than me, who is in great shape. He’s around 30 and I’m 41. He runs and bought a Peloton. He proudly wears his Peloton tee to the gym. One day I asked him if he ever considered triathlon. It was like I was speaking another language. The idea had never remotely entered his mind space. He had a glossed over look just at a mention. I thought WTF...I realized later that the younger generation 35 and under has very little to no interest in triathlon.

IT wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:

Agree, yet wonder if triathlon is still "cool". It used to be a cool / bucket list / bragging rights kind of thing to do. That doesn't seem to be as prevalent as it once was across age groups. There could also be some resentment if you are way healthier than your peer group these days.

Sports these days need to be aware of what has been mentioned - video games - and reinvent themselves virtually. I think we have a better chance getting someone hooked on Zwift than riding on the road. Hopefully the virtual reality experience creates a desire to actually do it outdoors. Or I'm being too optimistic about that happening...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Cork 2020, 615 Euro (basically $700) after the admin fees.
You may or may not get to swim again for that money.
Oh and to be shuuure, Ireland is fecken expensive to visit.

It's becoming even more of a rich man's game. Or as others say a 1-and-through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the proliferation or races, finishing an Ironman doesn't have the same cache it used to. Furthermore, the fact that half or more the people who actually are doing it are old enough to be grandparents has demystified the accomplishment for younger folks. And while the older generation is so fixated on IM's and HIM's, short course racing, which would be more accessible to somebody still in the family formation and career building stage of their life, is struggling to stay afloat.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jul 8, 19 16:37
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
indianacyclist wrote:

Not to mention all of the incidental expenses of racing an IM. For example, most IMs don't allow packet pickup the day before. The extra hotel days (2?) adds enormous cost onto an already expensive trip!

That's been the case for at least 20 years. Hard to blame it for the changing demographic.
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Poon wrote:

Me too. I’ve always been in the largest AG. M35-39, M40-44, M45-49, and next year I move to 50-54.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
indianacyclist wrote:

The hotel issue has always been an issue. It's not new, and thus it is not a valid reason behind the aging demographic.
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
jhammond wrote:
indianacyclist wrote:

The hotel issue has always been an issue. It's not new, and thus it is not a valid reason behind the aging demographic.

I think the real problem is you cannot do a local club sprint tri for $20 or a local Olympic tri for $50 anymore. When you could do that, there were plenty of athletes out of college or building your families who could do tris. You need an affordable feeder system to attract young people. The price of a club entry has to be in the range of multiple drinks at the bar. Once you are talking entry fees that are somewhere in between a monthly cell phone bill ( a must have) and a car payment (optional, but more likely to need that), then its hard to get young people to allocate money to this sport, which then means you have no new blood.

I would be interested in slowman's demographics around here on ST. I doubt it is much different. A bunch of middle age upper income white guys posting and spending on this sport (oh, and a few token none white guys, but we fall into the same disposable income range).
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
With the proliferation or races, finishing an Ironman doesn't have the same cache it used to. Furthermore, the fact that half or more the people who actually are doing it are old enough to be grandparents has demystified the accomplishment for younger folks. And while the older generation is so fixated on IM's and HIM's, short course racing, which would be more accessible to somebody still in the family formation and career building stage of their life, is struggling to stay afloat.

I think you nailed it....the future looks dull....
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember in the 90s the 30-34 men’s group was by far the largest age group, I recall then looking forward to getting into the 40-44 age group to have a smaller number of competitors, I guess many of us kept doing it(?)
Quote Reply
Re: Aging of the IM field [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

I think we're pretty much the same age (45). We are 'peak triathlon'.

I think there need to be more high profile short events, to get people into the sport more gradually, without the physical & financial pain. Maybe Ironman could make more of the 5150 distance....(but then you really have to be honest with swim training!). Either way, those of us who started out in the 80s/90s didn't do Tri because it was the popular thing to do! It's just a shame a lot of the smaller/shorter quirky races are dying-off.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply

Prev Next