Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like I'm kinda in between - I didn't like him kicking the banner, mainly because it seemed disrespectful to the women holding it. Everything else I was fine with.
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Only the market can tell but he was getting lots of negative comments on Instagram. Reminds me of how Carl Lewis failed to cash in at the 1980 Olympics. 4 golds and a dick attitude wasnt the ticket. He learned the lesson and a very different personality appeared in the 1984 Olympics. I never heard of this guy and dont really care, but if he is looking to succeed in a broader market beyond Denmark he might want to consider how finish line behavior might affect his worth. That's just one person's opinion.

Thereā€™s a very good reason that Carl Lewis failed to cash in after the ā€˜80 Olympic Games....

I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that.
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, Janā€™s antics are probably 10% of what this guy did in Austria, second Jan has earned his right to be a bit over the top (but he really isnā€™t) by being one of the best all around triathletes in history, third his displays (again not really over the top) come usually in races with stacked fields (Oceanside, Frankfurt, 70.3 worlds, Kona...), not IM Austria which an important race certainly, is not in the same level than those, fourth, too much antics for this guy and I bet heā€™ll get smoked by at least 15 guys in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rodchaves31 wrote:
First, Janā€™s antics are probably 10% of what this guy did in Austria, second Jan has earned his right to be a bit over the top (but he really isnā€™t) by being one of the best all around triathletes in history, third his displays (again not really over the top) come usually in races with stacked fields (Oceanside, Frankfurt, 70.3 worlds, Kona...), not IM Austria which an important race certainly, is not in the same level than those, fourth, too much antics for this guy and I bet heā€™ll get smoked by at least 15 guys in Kona.

All you haters and curmudgeons need to take a Xanax and chill for a while. A 20 something year old just won and Ironman and this is the way he chose to celebrate it. Itā€™s raw, real and authentic. No fixing his kit for his sponsors. No happy smiles. No worrying if heā€™s going to get Mercedes Benz on board. A warrior that has vanquished his enemies. If you think this will hurt triathlonā€™s appeal with a broader audience you are living under a rock!
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I donā€™t give a sh*t about triathlon appeal. All I see is an a-hole celebrating a win. Just my gut reaction, I for one hope this guy melts in Kona.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SrSalitre wrote:
I donā€™t give a sh*t about triathlon appeal. All I see is an a-hole celebrating a win. Just my gut reaction, I for one hope this guy melts in Kona.

And all I see is a kid so freaking psyched that he can barely control his emotions. This is an amazing sports moment. I feel sorry for you that you donā€™t see it. Seriously.
Last edited by: RallySavage: Jul 7, 19 17:28
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say more like Ultimate Warrior from WWE. I wouldn't give him the MMA nod. Interesting that he picked up the banner and broke it over his knee for added effect... I guess it wasn't dead yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [vkanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vkanders wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Only the market can tell but he was getting lots of negative comments on Instagram. Reminds me of how Carl Lewis failed to cash in at the 1980 Olympics. 4 golds and a dick attitude wasnt the ticket. He learned the lesson and a very different personality appeared in the 1984 Olympics. I never heard of this guy and dont really care, but if he is looking to succeed in a broader market beyond Denmark he might want to consider how finish line behavior might affect his worth. That's just one person's opinion.

Thereā€™s a very good reason that Carl Lewis failed to cash in after the ā€˜80 Olympic Games....

I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that.

I was wondering who was going to be the first to post about that.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Similar to jan frodeno when he wins if you ask me.

I thought the exact thing too.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:

Should he follow some kind of USA standard for approved celebration in endurance sports??

I'm totally confused. I thought we in the U.S. invented the over-the-top celebration. E.g. Ali, NFL dances.

Though us Americans are sort of shizophrenic veering between crass, ostentatious self-promotion and ascetic puritanism. We're often confused about who we are.

I do agree that our endurance athletes tend to more the latter, and this is a little refreshing. TheRealStarky when he used to be funny parodied his well by sending out bland tweets about the organic chia oatmeal he had for breakfast, etc.

As one of my favorite sports writers, Nate Jackson, wrote about "excessive" NFL celebrations,

Nate Jackson wrote:
that act-like-you've-been-there stuff. This isn't a sacred institution. Act like youā€™ve never been there before and youā€™ll never be there again. Act like you're out of your mind, because you are. The energy on an NFL football field does not promote levelheadedness or rational contemplation. It promotes frothing and grunting and pushing the Nitro button all the way down. I say embrace it. Donā€™t put a lid on it.

I agree that our Ironman athletes can push the nitro button once in a while.

Last edited by: trail: Jul 7, 19 18:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn straight! I loved the raw emotion and excitement. So tired of the corporate bullshit in triathlon. Fixing the kit for the sponsors. Lol. So lame and predictable, yet some want more of it.

RallySavage wrote:
SrSalitre wrote:

And all I see is a kid so freaking psyched that he can barely control his emotions. This is an amazing sports moment. I feel sorry for you that you donā€™t see it. Seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I'm totally confused. I thought we in the U.S. invented the over-the-top celebration. E.g. Ali, NFL dances.

My first thought when watching was "He's acting like an American"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SrSalitre wrote:

I do give a sh*t about triathlon appeal. All I see is a winner celebrating a win. I for one donā€™t give a sh*t about Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An a-hole? A young guy overwhelmed with emotion after pulling off a win in his first ironman race. To see him walk the last 100m and stop to give his coach/something a hug and then walk to the finish line while his body shakes from the effort made me hope for a celebration to remember.

And he pulled it off. Awesome celebration, awesome athlete and an amazing performance. Started following him on instagram due to his performance (including his celebration) so I don't agree with you at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean 84 & 88 Olympics right?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He looks like a clown. When I first saw it I thought it was a fake video mocking someone doing an idiotic celebration. When I realized it was real...ugh

And if you look through comments from the IM posts on FB and IG, an overwhelming majority of people were put off by it too. In a sport where pros earn a living by engaging fans, followers, sponsors, etc...probably not a good look. Hey, do whatever you want. But be prepared to be heavily scrutinized if you act like a cocky a-hole at the finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anybody considered that maybe they should have held the banner higher?
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, thanks for the correction!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SrSalitre wrote:
No matter where you are... I am from Europe, and could not help but think to myself ā€œwhat an assholeā€ after watching his celebration. More than 500 comments to the Instagram post where it was shown, and 98% were of the same opinion (globally I guess).

I think you are getting carried away by the fact hat the guy is also a Viking, LOL

i wonder how those 98% react if there really is a problem lol. i guess all those posts are for the cry like a bitch thread.
its not my favrorite celebration either but at least its different.
more interesting the guy is 23 and did well
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope he wins again and does the same thing. Signature win celebration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
SrSalitre wrote:

Apparently this sport is supposed to be like Tennis in the 1940s...stoicism and wooden rackets.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [mlevans1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Either that, or he karate-chops or roundhouses the tape next time.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [mlevans1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he was leading I would surely watch to see his "Finishers Move", lol. That would be great.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Conor McGregor wins IM Austria [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing this definately makes it clear that an intercontinental title belt for triathlon is well overdue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Similar to jan frodeno when he wins if you ask me.

Yeah, agreed. However...he won a race over the weekend that wasn't Roth. I don't think the result calls for the over-the-top celebration
Quote Reply

Prev Next