Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You go right ahead and order from that site. The one and only review left on that product page makes my decision easy...I’ll wait

MrTri123 wrote:
https://owowshop.com/products/nike-vaporfly-flyknit-4-mens-running-shoes?variant=18400597966963&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzunmBRDsARIsAGrt4mvhhoFeAtYpEAAM00LtE2FQQm52VCS_oz2bXSB0hkduhwQulyeK2oEaAoEsEALw_wcB
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These definitely look like fakes
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [Runninglab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure they didn't make a black flyknit 4%. Just the orange and blue
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [Runninglab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runninglab wrote:
You go right ahead and order from that site. The one and only review left on that product page makes my decision easy...I’ll wait

But every order comes with a 30day money back guarantee!

/pink
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [Blizzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blizzard wrote:
Question in subject line. Currently gone through multiple pairs of pegasus turbos where the sole peels away at ~100 miles.

Did you go back to the retailer or contact Nike ?

Doesn't seem the shoes are fit for purpose

You must be very loyal to sink more money into Nike shoes
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contacted Nike. They have great customer service
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
if someone hadn't run in Nikes for a very long time but might be interested in a 4%/next in the future what are good Nike models to help figure out fit and generally if you might like them?

The Zoom Flyknit, which is my daily trainer, has a very similar ride to the Vaporfly 4%. The Vaporfly fits a bit smaller (tiny bit shorter and noticeably narrower in the toe box), and has the advanced foam, but otherwise feels a lot like the Zoom Flyknit.

I don't agree with those who recommended the Zoom Fly or the Zoom Fly SP -- I have both of those, and they both have much stiffer foam and a much harsher ride than the Zoom Flyknit and the Vaporfly 4%. FWIW, the Zoom Fly SP seems to fit a bit smaller than the Zoom Fly, possibly b/c the SP has a less flexible upper. The SP is closest to the 4% in fit, but they feel very different when running.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [Blizzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only speak to the Peg 34's, I had the black heel rubber peel away after about 100 miles. Currently on the Peg 35's and they are near end of life (so says my STRYD reminder notification)...still humming along just fine and look like new. Can't speak on the Turbos, but my 4% has some heel peel after about 100 miles but nothing of real concern--plenty of life in them after 1 year of racing and multiple long runs in them.

On the NEXT %, if anything, the one thing that would be nice to have, is not the steep drop the 4% has, and better traction (the 4% sucks on gravel and dirt). That's what I'm looking forward to. Still waiting for more info on the 2020-21 "Carbon %" that is in testing phase now at a prototype level.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
OddSlug wrote:
if someone hadn't run in Nikes for a very long time but might be interested in a 4%/next in the future what are good Nike models to help figure out fit and generally if you might like them?

The Zoom Flyknit, which is my daily trainer, has a very similar ride to the Vaporfly 4%. The Vaporfly fits a bit smaller (tiny bit shorter and noticeably narrower in the toe box), and has the advanced foam, but otherwise feels a lot like the Zoom Flyknit.

The ride of the Zoom Flyknit is nothing like the 4%. Anyone who says they are "a lot alike" is talking utter rubbish and I'd doubt they've actually worn a pair of 4% or perhaps got counterfeit shoes. The "pop" of the 4% is unlike any other shoe on the market. They feel spring-loaded.

The fit of the 4% is also quite a bit less structured and less secure at the heel.

No one has any idea when the Next% will next be available. I'd just buy a pair of the 4% and see how you get along with them. Buy direct from Nike and you can return them in 30 days even if worn.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
dewman wrote:
OddSlug wrote:

The ride of the Zoom Flyknit is nothing like the 4%. Anyone who says they are "a lot alike" is talking utter rubbish and I'd doubt they've actually worn a pair of 4% or perhaps got counterfeit shoes. The "pop" of the 4% is unlike any other shoe on the market. They feel spring-loaded.

The fit of the 4% is also quite a bit less structured and less secure at the heel.

No one has any idea when the Next% will next be available.

Well, of course the 4% has more pop than the cheaper versions in the line. Why else would anyone buy them? The OP's question was which shoes were closest to the 4% for feel/fit. I have run in every iteration of the Zoom Fly / Flyknit / 4% line, apart from the original "Elite" model used at Monza. I have run probably 1000 miles in Zoom Flys and Flyknits and about 200 in 4%'s, including a PR in the half-marathon and a PR at Boston. (Pretty good counterfeit, I'd say.) The Zoom Flyknit is the closest to the 4% in ride, and the Zoom Fly SP is the closest to the 4% in fit.

You are correct (!) that the 4% is less structured in the heel.

The Next% launches this month in the U.S. I'm looking forward to the wider toe-box, as the 4% was tough on the smaller toes, especially on a hilly course.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
Well, of course the 4% has more pop than the cheaper versions in the line. Why else would anyone buy them? The OP's question was which shoes were closest to the 4% for feel/fit. I have run in every iteration of the Zoom Fly / Flyknit / 4% line, apart from the original "Elite" model used at Monza. I have run probably 1000 miles in Zoom Flys and Flyknits and about 200 in 4%'s, including a PR in the half-marathon and a PR at Boston. (Pretty good counterfeit, I'd say.) The Zoom Flyknit is the closest to the 4% in ride, and the Zoom Fly SP is the closest to the 4% in fit.

Fair enough. I apologize and stand corrected with respect to your qualifications to speak about the shoes. (I am new to both, having just picked up a pair of both shoes about a month ago, and am liking them). But they're really leagues apart.

It's like answering the question, "Should I buy a 911 Turbo, or wait for the next 911 Turbo" and answering "well, you could could buy a Boxter to see if you find the seats comfortable..." Similar interior finishing, but very different ride. (And I really do think they are that different).

Edit: Add, the only reason I'm kind of harping on this is I wouldn't want OP to buy a pair of Flyknits and be like... meh, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I wasn't overwhelmed by the FK, it was quick, but wouldn't have turned me onto Nike. But first time I ran in the 4% my mind was kind of blown.
Last edited by: wintershade: Jul 1, 19 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
...But first time I ran in the 4% my mind was kind of blown.

Have to admit, my experience was the same. I'd been running in the Brooks Pure line for several years now and decided I just had to try the 4%. It arrived only 2d before the marathon, and I ran probably 3 miles in it before going the full 26.2. I was definitely minutes faster than expected and just in awe of the spring in that shoe. The best thing I can compare it to is the surface that you find on playgrounds that has a notable bounce to it. Anyways, I've now somehow "settled in" to the Zoom Fly as my daily driver, as even it feels bouncier than my previous Brooks. And just like that, a 15+ yr Brooks loyalist is now a Nike convert.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [A527G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, another unexpected convert to Nike and the 4% here. I didn’t want them to work, haha!! But man are they something.

I’ve also settled on the Zoom Fly FK as a daily driver, and I’ll be buying a pair of the Next% to try out, too!!

You will never, in your life, have a chance like this again.
If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
Come on...what harm??
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [A527G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to derail OPs thread, but what do you think of the FK as a daily trainer. I'm also a long time Brooks loyalist here (Ravanna is my go-to trainer) thinking of switching to Nike because I don't like the GuideRails in the Ravanna 10.

Seems like ideal rotation (at least on paper would be):
- Zoom Peg Turbo (go-to shoe)
- Zoom Flyknit (speed work, tempo runs)
- Vaporfly 4%/Next (races)
- Epic React (easy/recovery)

I've been sprinkling the above into my current rotation with good results, and am contemplating making the full switch after the end of this season (no big changes 3 weeks from first A race).

For those of you running using the FK as a daily trainer, have you run into any issues with that carbon plate in a daily trainer? I've heard it can cause PF and Achilles issues for some higher mileage runners.
Last edited by: wintershade: Jul 1, 19 21:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in a similar mix, but reacts are my every day shoe.. Turbos I use for lon runs(a little more instability due to the softness of the sole) and I added vomeros for my recovery runs (on the more stable side for the sole)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:

No one has any idea when the Next% will next be available. I'd just buy a pair of the 4% and see how you get along with them. Buy direct from Nike and you can return them in 30 days even if worn.

Just ordered the Next%, should arrive on Friday.
Love my 4%, am really 4% faster on them on any distance as in any shoe I had before.
Looking forward to the Next% how they are.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jul 2, 19 5:24
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
wintershade wrote:

Love my 4%, am really 4% faster on them on any distance as in any shoe I had before.

Where did you get them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my Next% this week via Nike App in the UK. If you are a part of the Nike Run club (eg: App), you got a text last week that allowed you to buy or reserve in-store. It was a great experience and the shoes came quickly. I haven't run in them but they seem lighter and the upper is a lot better than the Flyknit. I've had version 1 and the 2 (flyknit) and excited to try these out. I think Version 1 was better than 2, let's see how the lower drop works (10m to 8m).

I think there will be a lot of these available, so just wait.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
wintershade wrote:

Where did you get them?

nike.com. in Germany.
It said the shoe is only for "members".
So I registered myself and then I could order.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had my first run in the Next% this morning with some 8x2min fast (for me it's around 3:55-4min/k). They are an improvement from the previous models. Everything they talk about is true, like the sole and the grip is much better. The Zoom foam is bouncy, but I don't feel like it was abnormal. The 'spring' is OK, but I'm sort of used to it now with a number of miles on the Zoomfly and Vaporfly. The drop is slightly lower and feels a better when going faster. The fit is better than the Flyknit in my opinion. Tough to say if I was way faster, but the efforts felt easier. I liked version 1 more than 2 (flyknit), but the Next is likely better than all of them.

I've used Vapofly 4%'s for training runs and they seem to last pretty long for me (over 300 miles), but for racing a newer pair is likely better. I think the Next% will last longer b/c the bottom seems more sturdy and grippier. Nice update, but that price is pretty high!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does the fit compare to the 4%? My 4% are thisclose to being too big, so if the Next runs a bit bigger I'll size down a half size.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jelana wrote:
How does the fit compare to the 4%? My 4% are thisclose to being too big, so if the Next runs a bit bigger I'll size down a half size.

Just got them in 44 1/2 as my 4%.
Just ran with the next% on the left and the 4% on the right. No difference in size.

The next% is a lot higher: at least 2 cm.

The next% does not have the clicking sound when you walk on your heels as the 4%. I did not remember though if the 4% had that effect when they were new.

What I do not like of the next% is that there are slits in the front if the sole. Looks like a catch for small stones. Probably I will close those slits with silicone.

Anyway, got an IM in 3 days and because the main rule of triathlon is to not try out new things in races, I'll run there with my "old" 4%s.

In the next couple if weeks I'll try the next% and see if they are as fast as the 4% (I do not think 1 % faster is noticeable, but 4% is and the 4% are for me a lot faster than all of the former shoes I had on all distances. I did a 5k under 19 minutes a couple of weeks ago: that was crazy with my nearly 58 years).
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jul 4, 19 3:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran with my "old" 4% flyknit today and they felt a little "dead," versus the next%. Like I mentioned, the version 1 seemed more lively than v.2 flyknit. The next% give a little further boost forward even though the heel-toe drop is relatively lower. The width feels slightly wider in the mid foot on the next%, which for me, is better.

Size wise, I went with the same size for the next% versus other vf versions, but tried the half size down. I was really really close to getting the half size down. I think I would've been fine with either the half size down, but kept the same size b/c it works a little better from a width perspective.

I think you should run the IM with the next%! :)
Last edited by: tri@thlete: Jul 5, 19 3:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a pair of Next% for a couple of months now (I got EXTREMELY lucky and was able to grab a pair during the first US release in April), figured I'd jump in with my sizing info.

Vaporfly 4% (Original) - Size 11
Vaporfly 4% Flyknit - Size 11.5
Vaporfly Next% - Size 11

Just for reference...
Zoom Fly v1 - 11.5
Epic React Flyknit - 11

I've raced in the Next% in one Olympic distance race that had several 180 degree turns. This is where I found the biggest difference in the Next% and the 4%, the soles are much firmer in turns and feel more "planted." The Next% soles are very fast, you crank the grease in these shoes and they go.

I'm racing Santa Rosa 70.3 at the end of the month and will likely wear the Next%, just need to wear them in a long session or two off the bike!
Quote Reply

Prev Next