Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [rbm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

BigBoyND wrote:
Dang, they burn FLO badly in that article

Read this entire thread, and then get back to us...
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...el_Shootout_P6710888
Last edited by: exxxviii: May 16, 19 15:05
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for highlighting this thread!!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you share the datasource / comparison about Bontrager and swissside vs Enve?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
[quote Pun_Times I think it's fallen out of favor with triathletes as even with the H3 plus you need to run fairly narrow tires for it to shine,

Based on what do you draw this conclusion??[/quote]
I have an H3 Plus, HED says 25mm on the wheel. I’ve not ran the wheel, curious why more don’t run them.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's just referencing the much discussed Hambini article.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

BigBoyND wrote:
Dang, they burn FLO badly in that article

Read this entire thread, and then get back to us...
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...el_Shootout_P6710888

After 11 pages I can't go on. Worst reading recommendation ever!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [rbm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's only interesting in that he completely made up a bunch of data, forged a letter from some lawyers and slandered a company and it's founders...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
After 11 pages I can't go on. Worst reading recommendation ever!
Haha. Sorry. (Not sorry.) :)

tl;dr - did this guy even conduct a test?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious why, if deeper is more aero, did Zipp do away with the 1080?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My surmise is that it was more of a business decision. The 808 Firecrest was faster than the 1080 pre-firecrest. The handful of seconds a 1080 Firecrest would have saved would likely have been lost in a bobble or two due to wind. I suspect Zipp didn't sell that many 1080s, so it wasn't worth the cost of new molds.

As an aside, I think the super deep fronts are extinct. The deepest wheel I can think of is the 88 from Premier.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
As an aside, I think the super deep fronts are extinct. The deepest wheel I can think of is the 88 from Premier.

Flo's 90 measures 94.7mm deep both front and rear
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aerocoach is coming out with a 100mm front wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [bigsas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To go modern width at a fraction of the Shimano Pro or the modern HED costs..........anyone give the one Superteam trispoke a shot yet?

Most look like crap with a ridge on the spoke, but the one model looks really good to the naked eye in up close photos. They also even have the modern hole location for the tube and modern widths.

Anyone want to risk $250?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Mavic CXR80 sitting here brand new in the box, unglued $250! Just never got around to using it, complete with tire, glue, and wheel bag
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
[quote Pun_Times I think it's fallen out of favor with triathletes as even with the H3 plus you need to run fairly narrow tires for it to shine,

Based on what do you draw this conclusion??[/quote]
I run a Conti Supersonic 20mm on my H3+. Measures out to over 24mm on the rim.

I’ve tried a Corsa Speed 23mm and a Turbo Cotton 24mm on the wheel. The Corsa Speed and Turbo Cotton bulge out too wide on the rim, and I found handling was affected by it. The wheel has been great with the Supersonic.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxTT wrote:
I run a Conti Supersonic 20mm on my H3+. Measures out to over 24mm on the rim.

I’ve tried a Corsa Speed 23mm and a Turbo Cotton 24mm on the wheel. The Corsa Speed and Turbo Cotton bulge out too wide on the rim, and I found handling was affected by it. The wheel has been great with the Supersonic.

Here's a bit of data on that - 45kph, Cervelo P5.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Last edited by: Xavier: Jun 26, 19 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
I have an H3 Plus, HED says 25mm on the wheel. I’ve not ran the wheel, curious why more don’t run them.

Really!!??

I have a 22m on it and it mates perfectly. I would expect even a 23 not to fit as well. HED suggests a 25? Where do they say this?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Buzz,

I emailed them and asked the recommended size on an H3 +.

I have the wheel, but think I’m going to sell it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a set of superteam Tri spokes I used to train on. There is no aero research or thought gone into their design besides a basic wing shape. The hubs in them are absolute crap with a lot of flex and play. The first rear I got the tolerance of the bearing was so loose it flopped about the place and they sent me a video of how I could remove the bearing and score the outer face with a nice to make the bearing a tighter fit. I told them you must be joking! They sent me another wheel and I trained on them about a year and sold them but they aren't aero and I wouldn't race on a set.
I race with a Hed GT3 and train on Corima 4 spokes.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jun 26, 19 17:36
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [bigsas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigsas wrote:
Aerocoach is coming out with a 100mm front wheel.

hi guys, ronnie here...welcome to the workshop!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Aerocoach wheels now in their store, a 100mm (Titan) and a 78mm (Zephyr) option - https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/...ox-titan-aero-wheels

Their aero testing:

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder why they kept the spoke nipples out after going through the trouble of hiding the valve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
I wonder why they kept the spoke nipples out after going through the trouble of hiding the valve

easier to service which i think makes a lot of sense given the current main market -uk -has many rough roads.
and i think its a great idea with the valve ( at the same time on the pic the valve looks a bit short and you would have to use a screw on valve i guess to pump up proper , there will likley be many dazzled faces if they have to repalce a puncture in a race and use standard co2 canister)
the other point i wonder it was said the older aerochoach 100m mm wheel was already a hair faster than the hed jed 9 so it would app
ear the new wheel is like half a watt faster than the old one and lost its aluminum breaking surface.
i think its a pity that it looks like the aluminum rim wheel is not for sale anymore.
still it's great to watch that company grow.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest front wheel available? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The claim is the new one also handles cross winds better, so in the real world that would give a lot more speed advantage than the 0.5W in testing. Of course, how you quantify cross wind stability in a way that anybody else is going to agree with is another matter entirely!

Maybe also some weight savings from going full carbon? Doesn't matter too much from a speed perspective but lighter weight is always good for the marketing department...
Quote Reply

Prev Next