Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am an absolute energy bar nut....I bet I do 3-4 a day on average. Probably more as I use them on long rides. I've ridden my bike 12,000 miles this year so far so I do a ton of volume and a ton of eating. Bars help me bridge the gap.

Clif....still like a candy bar to me and for some reason very satisfying. I'll have one on a ride as well. Under a buck a piece at Walmart.
GoMacro. Super healthy and man they have some good ones. Downside is they are very expensive.
Skratch bars. I like them all, but again pretty spendy. Good ingredients, but not super healthy stuff like GoMacro.
Amrita. Superfood ingredients. Spendy, but tasty as I've NEVER found a flavor I don't like. Pretty dry for on the bike nutrition. Hard to swallow on the bike.
Kates. Fantastic taste. Very expensive, but good calories and ingredients.
RX. I eat a ton of these. Not too bad cost wise at Walmart and egg white protein source. I do not generally use these on a ride.
Taos Mountain. Very nut based in general. Super ingredients. Expensive. Absolutely delicious. Not a ride bar for me.
Rice cakes - homemade. Cheap, VERY moist for ride nutrition. Very healthy. My go to for riding / long course riding.
Breakfast bars - oat and quinoa based...homemade recipe with maple syrup. Cheap, all superfood ingredients. Absolutely fantastic.

I'm missing a bunch...lol...

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What macro nutrient breakdown should one be trying to achieve to fuel long rides? Based on so many of the responses, there is a mix of fat, protein, simple carbs, complex carbs... I realize nutritional science can often be in the realm of speculation more than hard science, but what is the conventional wisdom for fueling long efforts?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel for short course carbs rule. Longer you go the more fat at least I like to see. Even Clif bars have some fat.

I tend to crave crazy things like PB &J on longer races like DAMn (240 miles of gravel), DK or IM type stuff.

My absolute go to for sure is pure maple syrup....but I am biased as my team has a great partner in Anderson's Maple Syrup. For any long course racing I carry a minimum of 5 ounces of syrup in a flask. I use that in conjunction with Endurelite Sustain. Sustain contains amino acids.

I'm racing Lutsen 99er this weekend (MTB Race). My fuel:
10 ounces of maple syrup 1000 cals
5 servings sustain 600 cals
4 rice cakes 660 cals (Apex recipe)
1 gomacro almond carob 230 cals

2500 calories for estimated 5.5 hours :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure where you are located, but sold at Meijer or Target as StroopWafel. $4.00 for a package of 8. Same thing as the more pricey ones, but designed for granny and her tea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For training, I use candy bars like Snickers because you can typically get them pretty cheaply in bulk. For racing, I never use bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the Amrita!

On the bike I have 3 bottles, carbo pro and Skratch in each for 70.3. No issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live and die by Clif Bar Crunchy Peanut Butter. That one's not too sweet in my opinion. And I love peanut butter, so it works for me. A lot of their other flavors are a bit sweet. You can get Clif Bars almost anywhere.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Jun 27, 19 4:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Homemade is a dangerous game for what are typically obsessive people...

With that being said, iterating here on granola, steel cut oat, banana, with a little semi dark chocolate bars. Been finding the right thickness, wife just removed baking powder on al batch to reduce the rise. It ends up being a whole new thing to optimize, but can't beat it for cost or taste.

On fulls I still prefer Infinit cause of the stomach and ability to just go and ignore aid outside of water.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [plant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant wrote:
Not sure where you are located, but sold at Meijer or Target as StroopWafel. $4.00 for a package of 8. Same thing as the more pricey ones, but designed for granny and her tea.

thanks for that...I will give those a try.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Bar (Nutrition) [dmorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmorris wrote:
For training, I use candy bars like Snickers because you can typically get them pretty cheaply in bulk. For racing, I never use bars.

I used to eat snickers for races but not a good idea. Sugar level in your blood goes up and down too quick. Try other bars people mentioned in here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Clif Kid ZBars - partly for the flavor and consistency, but also for the size. I also like (most varieties of) Waffles/Wafels. The ~150cal bar/waffle seems spot on for frequent eating during a harder ride/race - like I can swallow the last bite with minimal gagging and then chase with water. I could eat half of a larger bar, but managing partially eaten bars always seems to get gross.
Quote Reply

Prev Next