Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neighborhood kid picks up poo and mows lawn weekly. Cleaning person every other week. During the school year a nanny shared with another family picks up the kids from school and supervises homework then play til dinner two days a week.

I hire someone 4 hours a day to hang out with my mom in her nursing home too - so sheā€™s not as lonely or bored.

Honestly the young kid phase exhausting. Thereā€™s no medal for being the most burned out. Lots of people have help from family. Lots of people have a stay at home spouse. Lots of people hire help. Lots of people must just be really tough. Everyone seems to be exhausted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone cleans our house every 2nd Friday. That's it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
A service mows the yard; other than that, nothing.

Wait, don't you have four young kids? Or am I confusing you with another poster?

If so... How in the hell do you manage that?

I qualify for AARP and am closer to "GET OFF MY LAWN" age than diapers, but thanks for asking!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

Wait, don't you have four young kids? Or am I confusing you with another poster?

I qualify for AARP and am closer to "GET OFF MY LAWN" age than diapers, but thanks for asking!

You post really young though
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

Quit flirting. She's probably 30-40 years older than you are.

<dodging>
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Quote:
5. House cleaner here is $300 per visit.

Damn!! I pay $100 per visit.

How is that even possible.
We have gotten quotes for $250-400/visit for our house. It is 1200 sq ft. We have one bathroom.

Our downstairs 800sq ft suite costs us almost $200 if we use a professional service. Around half that if we use an independent random off Craigslist.

Ours is $100 per visit as well. 4 hours work.

Maybe you should move.

But then I'd have to live somewhere else...

Do you use a pro service or random independent person?

Independent. Not random, recommended.

Ditto.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
Daycare for the kiddo, otherwise it's all the wife and I. That'll change once my wife finds a new job, she currently has half-days on Tuesday and Friday's completely off and is able to run errands/do some cleaning during that time. Once we're both full time there just won't be enough time to get the cleaning/errands done on weekends.

We do get 3 dinners a week delivered (just $38 a week, for the convenience and good meals it's worth it). But we'll also get a cleaning service and possibly lawn care. I'm out of the house from 7:45am to 7pm, my wife from 7:45 to 5 or 5:30pm, and taking care of a baby on top of everything else is downright unmanageable as it is, even with the time off she gets.

What's the dinner company?

https://www.everyplate.com/

We had been doing HelloFresh, mostly would sign up with different emails to get their intro offer then cancel a few weeks into their regular plan because it was just too expensive - around $70 for three meals. This one is identical in quality, zero difference imo. Slightly less variety, and they don't package things quite as well--all the food comes in a big box that needs to be sifted through to organize one meal, but it's a tiny inconvenience given the affordability. If it catches on it very well may increase in price but we're loving it so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely none.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RockyMtnChic wrote:
Absolutely none.

Ok, you're the one with 4 young kids, right?

What's your schedule like? You're the type of person I want to hear from!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
RockyMtnChic wrote:
Absolutely none.

Are you going to ask every female poster that until one lies and says yes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
RockyMtnChic wrote:
Absolutely none.

Are you going to ask every female poster that until one lies and says yes?

Considering there's only a handful of the womens in this forum, yes, that is precisely what I intend to do.

Now go back to telling Sally how young she posts.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband got a roomba when I was gone for a particularly long stretch flying.
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

x2.

Resisted it for a long time but between how bad it made my spring allergies and the hot, sweaty timesuck that mowing the yard in summer is, I finally admitted how much I actually hated it and let my wife hire a service. Outside of lawn-mowing season, they also do leaf cleanup once in the fall, and a general cleanup in early spring. We also paid them to put down new mulch this spring.

x3
you are my twin brother..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have an Au pair that lives with us, A nanny that shows up at 6am to get the kids up and ready for school. The cook shows up at 7 to have breakfast prepared. Wife and I are out the door by 8. Nanny takes kids to daycare. Cleaning service shows up each day at 10 cleans till 2. Once a week we have a lawn mowing service, and the Gardner works about 3hrs a day 7days a week. Nanny picks kids up from afterschool daycare at 4 and brings them home by 5. Chef has a light snack ready for them. Tutor comes over at 6 tutors kids till 8. Chef has dinner ready at 8 wife and I get home some nights by 8 for dinner. Au pair reads to kids and tucks them in by 9. at least a few nights a week wife and I are home by 9 but some days we just need a break from the kids and house work so we meet up at a bar for drinks those nights we get home by 11 (only 2 or 3 times a week) Anyhow, if we are home by 9 we go into the kids bedroom and give them a kiss good night.
Then we head downstairs for a few drinks, as having kids and running a household is so much work.

Of course weekends are different our chef wont do lunches, so we make the Au pair feed the kids, so we don't have to leave the gym or spa to come home and make them a meal.

So i guess you could say we have a little bit of help, but I am sure others have far more.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Quote:

We have gotten quotes for $250-400/visit for our house. It is 1200 sq ft. We have one bathroom.

Our downstairs 800sq ft suite costs us almost $200 if we use a professional service. Around half that if we use an independent random off Craigslist.

You need to find a good Polish cleaning lady because that is bullshit

No real disagreement here, but in the D the Polish cleaning crews are....well I would like to say organized but more in a RICO way.

We pay for trust. We want someone in our house that will do a very good job, and won't steal from us. And in my experience, that is a 1:1 contact, not some guy who is ferrying 20 women around in a passenger van every AM.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
We have an Au pair that lives with us, A nanny that shows up at 6am to get the kids up and ready for school. The cook shows up at 7 to have breakfast prepared. Wife and I are out the door by 8. Nanny takes kids to daycare. Cleaning service shows up each day at 10 cleans till 2. Once a week we have a lawn mowing service, and the Gardner works about 3hrs a day 7days a week. Nanny picks kids up from afterschool daycare at 4 and brings them home by 5. Chef has a light snack ready for them. Tutor comes over at 6 tutors kids till 8. Chef has dinner ready at 8 wife and I get home some nights by 8 for dinner. Au pair reads to kids and tucks them in by 9. at least a few nights a week wife and I are home by 9 but some days we just need a break from the kids and house work so we meet up at a bar for drinks those nights we get home by 11 (only 2 or 3 times a week) Anyhow, if we are home by 9 we go into the kids bedroom and give them a kiss good night.
Then we head downstairs for a few drinks, as having kids and running a household is so much work.

Of course weekends are different our chef wont do lunches, so we make the Au pair feed the kids, so we don't have to leave the gym or spa to come home and make them a meal.

So i guess you could say we have a little bit of help, but I am sure others have far more.

So your Au Pair does nothing basically....pics or it didn't happen..

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
We pay for trust. We want someone in our house that will do a very good job, and won't steal from us. And in my experience, that is a 1:1 contact, not some guy who is ferrying 20 women around in a passenger van every AM.

So do I. I only use people for everything that I have gotten a personal referral for.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Quote:

Ours is $100 per visit as well. 4 hours work.

Maybe you should move.

Our's is 60, big house with dogs. We've told her she doesn't charge enough, she says she is fine. Every now and then we give her more, she says it is too much. Gave her a Christmas bonus, she cried.

That is the only help other than online grocery shopping. I really enjoy gardening and spend multiple nights a week and weekends doing that. Wife enjoys mowing, but she is shitcfor doing the trimming (all of it) so I have to do that.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nanny in the summer (his cousin)
Housecleaner every other week
Dog walker/sitter as needed when I Will be gone all day.
Landscapers treat yard, trim bushes, trees etc. I mow and weed whack.
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

So your Au Pair does nothing basically....pics or it didn't happen..

I think he forgot the pink; otherwise the au pair is for when wifey is too busy to be a wife and tucks him into bed. It worked for Schwarzenegger...until it didnā€™t šŸ˜‰

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
RockyMtnChic wrote:
Absolutely none.

Yep, thatā€™s me. Kids are 10, 8, 5 & 2.

Husband who works ridiculously long hours so Iā€™m pretty much mom and dad rolled into one, but thankfully I donā€™t work.

Iā€™m up around 6:00/6:30 when the first kid wakes up and usually in bed by 8:30, asleep between 8:30 and 10:00. Itā€™s really hard to get moving again after getting 4 kids to bed in the dark. Easier to just go to bed myself.

Outside work - thereā€™s not much to be done right now. Weā€™re renting, and the owner takes care of the dandelion forest that is supposed to be the yard, and in the past weā€™ve lived in condo complexes where the HOA does the exterior maintenance. In winter, all the major snow removal is taken care of by HOAā€™s or the owner but we had to dig out our parking spot and walkway. 2 winters ago it was no big deal, this winter was unreal. We didnā€™t even see any grass until the very end of May. Then we got 6ā€ of snow. Lots of shoveling by me. Husband would sometimes help if he wasnā€™t too late or if he needed to decompress, but I did most of it. Kids did as much as they could, but they built more snow forts than shoveling. The neighbor took pity on me and used his front end loader or his bobcat snowblower 3-4 times after monster storms to clear our parking spot. Without him, itā€™d have been a lost cause. We paid him in beer and gas money for the heavy equipment.

Inside - I do at least 1 load of laundry every day, often 2, some days 4. Depends on whatā€™s being done. Dishes pile up and get done before I start dinner usually. My oldest is getting into helping with dishes, heā€™s just not independent with them yet. The 2 older boys have started cleaning toilets and sinks, basic bathroom stuff because I got sick of cleaning their pee off of all surfaces. How is it possible to miss so badly when you literally have a hose to pee from?? They are getting better (at cleaning, not aiming) but I still have to go over and hit what they missed. Sweep daily, vacuum when necessary (if not daily, every 3 days), mop when thereā€™s a huge mess.

We live in a small house, so toys, LEGOS, stuffed animals and books are a problem.

Condos have always been small and overrun by kid stuff. Itā€™s everywhere and I just donā€™t notice it much, but itā€™s sad. Weā€™ve got 3 boys in one room, and my daughter sleeps part time in our bed and part time on a mattress on the floor in our room. So the bedrooms are nothing but beds and clothes. We do the best we can, but itā€™s messy. Even when we clean and organize itā€™s just cluttered.

We are building a proper house (havenā€™t lived in one since I lived with my parents) after living in small condos for the last 20 years (except for one winter), and we cannot wait. Weā€™ll have 4 good size bedrooms and a dedicated playroom. Closets for kids clothes, and room for dressers and beds. Itā€™ll be a new house, so Iā€™m hoping to hire cleaners to help keep it nice. I hate cleaning! Only thing here that seems to be decently priced - $20-25/hour. Snow removal will be on us (time to buy a blower and hire a roof crew), but no lawn, just a wildflower mix (itā€™s whats on the lot along with trees).

Iā€™ll be honest and say our house is always a mess. It just is. The second we sweep or vacuum, thereā€™s crumbs on the floor. After you pick up all the LEGOS- you step on one, stuffed animals and blankets are everywhere. And I donā€™t t care. 6 people in less than 1000 sq ft is just messy.

I do lunches, walk kids to school, drive them or put them on the bus - depends on where we live honestly (weā€™ve been moving around a lot since October 2017). I get them home, do homework, cook. If my husband isnā€™t home yet I get kids ready for bed and get them to sleep.

Thereā€™s more, but itā€™s past my bedtime and a kid just woke up. Gotta go!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am retired, and Mrs RG still works PT, so I am the Household Concierge (housekeeper, gardener, cook, shopper and bottle washer. And I still have time to exercise as much as I want... or not.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
We have a nanny, dog walker, cleaner for the rental downstairs (thinking of hiring one for our half of the house too), and occasional help around the yard. I also sometimes use one of my employees for odd jobs around the house.

My wife and I both work full time +. I'm usually out of the house from 430am-5pm. Sometimes it feels like we are just working to afford the services needed to maintain the life I don't have enough time to actually enjoy.

/Rant.

I can sympathize with that last point. Some services where I live (Florida) are skyrocketing in cost right now (e.g. landscaping).

I'm single and live alone in small house. Work full time and travel a lot for work. I have a landscaper and a pool cleaner. Everything inside the house I do on my own. My community has an HOA which maintains the common areas which have a lot of landscaping so I'm hyper-aware of those costs.
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
House cleaner every other week.
Use a lawn service just to do the spring clean-up of the yard.
Luckily my 15yr old like to mow the lawn.
Everything else we do ourselves
Quote Reply

Prev Next