Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law
Quote | Reply
I was just reading about the driver of the truck that hit the motorcycle riders being charged with 7 counts of negligent homicide. It dawned on me that NH has no helmet law. What do you think, were any of the motorcyclists wearing helmet?

It's all cool let the wind blow through your hair until something like this happens.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be surprising if any of them were wearing helmets, and unlikely it would have made any difference one way or the other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helmets don’t matter much when you are hit by a bigger vehicle.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A group of motorcycles are run over by a drunk driver and your worried about if they had helmets?
Dude has a drunk driving conviction in MA, a drunk driving ticket pending in CT, and possession of a crack pipe in Texas. ICE wants to deport him back to the Ukraine
Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also had a substance suspected to be heroin on him when he crashed into them from what I read
Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guy also must of had a class 1 drivers license provided by State of MA which doesn't seem to be taking notice inthe press, how can one with his history get/keep a class 1 license?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell ya what: you put on any helmet you want to, and I'll run ya over with a 3/4-ton truck. Lemme know how you make out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu offered condolences to the families of the victims and asked that the media respect their privacy as they grieve.
“Yesterday’s tragedy has clearly struck our state and our citizens in a very serious way,” Sununu said.
Asked if the incident might lead to New Hampshire enacting a helmet requirement for motorcyclists, Sununu said he didn’t “see any movement on that.”
“There’s no evidence, given the horrific significance of what happened, whether it was helmet or no helmet was going to provide for survivability.”

https://www.masslive.com/...shire-killing-7.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The motorcycle club consists of former Marine's and their spouses. According to several reports, a number of the members in the club were medics and were scrambling to secure tourniquets to wounds, but, at least 3 people bled out. A helmet would not have prevented that.

Now, that said, I live in WI, home of Harley Davidson, and a state that does not require helmets, and I think that is nuts. I don't ride, but, I never, ever rode my bike without a helmet and would never ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

However, it does not appear helmets would have made a difference in this particular case.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Jun 25, 19 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, sad to say that helmets wouldn't have have done much to prevent what had happened in this case. MA head of the registry of motor vehicles has just resigned given their inaction when notified by CT last month. This kid driving was literally an accident waiting to happen.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell ya what: you put on any helmet you want to, and I'll run ya over with a 3/4-ton truck. Lemme know how you make out. //

Well since they all didn't die, and looking at some of the bikes and how they survived, it looks as if there were at least 3 in the margins that survived the crash. No telling if there would have been more with helmets on, I suspect so. That's the thing about Moto crashes sometimes, you get thrown well away from the bike, and if your head survives, the rest of you likely will too. I've been in a couple of road crashes on a Moto, and too many to count on a pedal bike at over 30 mph, and each time the helmet did its job, and either saved my life, or kept me from playing checkers with Gary Busey...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
I was just reading about the driver of the truck that hit the motorcycle riders being charged with 7 counts of negligent homicide. It dawned on me that NH has no helmet law. What do you think, were any of the motorcyclists wearing helmet?

It's all cool let the wind blow through your hair until something like this happens.

Helmets just raise insurance rates.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Tell ya what: you put on any helmet you want to, and I'll run ya over with a 3/4-ton truck. Lemme know how you make out. //

Well since they all didn't die, and looking at some of the bikes and how they survived, it looks as if there were at least 3 in the margins that survived the crash. No telling if there would have been more with helmets on, I suspect so. That's the thing about Moto crashes sometimes, you get thrown well away from the bike, and if your head survives, the rest of you likely will too. I've been in a couple of road crashes on a Moto, and too many to count on a pedal bike at over 30 mph, and each time the helmet did its job, and either saved my life, or kept me from playing checkers with Gary Busey...
Ha! Love that line!

Yes, I never get on my bicycle without a helmet. I don't ride motorcycles but have plenty of friends who do. None of them wear helmets.

Wish I could change their views on that, but it ain't gonna happen.

That's the beauty of this state: you actually have a choice, right or wrong - it's *your* choice.

For those that think that is dumb, that's fine: stay out of my state and leave us alone, we like it just fine here, thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Yeah, pretty much this. Especially in urban areas. I saw more dead motorcyclists in 25 years in LA than all other deaths combined thru the course of my life. However that also takes into consideration GMR and other weekend-warrior riding areas.

Guy I work for used to be a Superbike pro. He won masters a couple of years ago. His son is (I believe) the only US Ducatti sponsored pro...trying to get to the bigs. Neither of them would ever think about riding without a helmet, even for fun. Wind blowing in your hair doesn't matter when your brains are across 10' of pavement.

But I'm all for Darwinian selection when it comes to most motorcyclists.

Though agree that this isn't about helmet law, but lax cross-state databases.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't ever ride without a helmet. Just pure stupidity. No more needs to be said.
Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

Helmets just raise insurance rates.

Its a lot cheaper to bury them than to rehab the survivors. No wonder insurance companies are behind the no helmet laws.
Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Don't tell that to the bicyclists.

I wear a helmet pretty much any time I am on two wheels. But I also understand that in a lot of circumstances it is just decoration.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
BLeP wrote:

I wear a helmet pretty much any time I am on two wheels. But I also understand that in a lot of circumstances it is just decoration.

I'm not a motorcyclist so I don't want to comment here, but my cycling helmet (yeah yeah TTSTTTF) has saved my ass repeatedly over the years. Cyclists, especially crit/competitive hit the deck a lot (relatively). Not sure about motos....but whether it by cycling, snowboarding, or skateboarding I'm wearing (and insisting on my kids wearing helmets).

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
j p o wrote:
BLeP wrote:

I'm not a motorcyclist so I don't want to comment here, but my cycling helmet (yeah yeah TTSTTTF) has saved my ass repeatedly over the years. Cyclists, especially crit/competitive hit the deck a lot (relatively). Not sure about motos....but whether it by cycling, snowboarding, or skateboarding I'm wearing (and insisting on my kids wearing helmets).

In 20 years of training I have hit the deck once. I ride in the country, my most feared and likely accident here is getting hit from behind by a car that never saw me. Helmet isn't helping much there. So i wear hi-vis yellow and use bright lights to the rear.

I've tried riding the motorcycle sans helmet, it feels really stupid. Used to ride to work all the time and would go to lunch without a helmet, then saw a video of a crash test dummy t-boning a car at 30, it led with its chin.

But I still don't count on the helmet saving me.

Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
mopdahl wrote:
j p o wrote:
BLeP wrote:

In 20 years of training I have hit the deck once. I ride in the country, my most feared and likely accident here is getting hit from behind by a car that never saw me. Helmet isn't helping much there. So i wear hi-vis yellow and use bright lights to the rear.

I've tried riding the motorcycle sans helmet, it feels really stupid. Used to ride to work all the time and would go to lunch without a helmet, then saw a video of a crash test dummy t-boning a car at 30, it led with its chin.

But it might save your head. As for the rest of you there are armored jackets, armored jeans/trousers, chest protectors, neck braces, etc. etc. None is guaranteed, but you're guaranteed safer than the guy riding his motorcycle in shorts, t-shirt, sandals and no helmet.

Also, wear a full face helmet. 42% of motorcycle injuries to the head are face planters. A friend of mine lost two front teeth and a broken nose with an open face helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
j p o wrote:
mopdahl wrote:
j p o wrote:
BLeP wrote:

But it might save your head. As for the rest of you there are armored jackets, armored jeans/trousers, chest protectors, neck braces, etc. etc. None is guaranteed, but you're guaranteed safer than the guy riding his motorcycle in shorts, t-shirt, sandals and no helmet.

Also, wear a full face helmet. 42% of motorcycle injuries to the head are face planters. A friend of mine lost two front teeth and a broken nose with an open face helmet.

Usually I'm wearing the helmet and nothing else. Just have to make sure to keep my balls off the pipes.

I wear everything, mostly it is so I am in a nice neat package when the drugged in the truck runs over me.

My biggest complaint about helmets isn't wearing them. It is the lack of research to make them better. Everyone designs to the standard, but the standard doesn't have much to ensure that is the best standard. The more you look into that aspect the less confident you get in them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you think, were any of the motorcyclists wearing helmet?

You're kidding, right?
Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a buddy who raced motorcycles professionally. I think he stopped counting at 20 broken helmets. His worst injury was a wrist that needed to be fused with pins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know the NH state motto...

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: 7 dead, no motorcycle helmet law [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One day my husband was on a ladder with a chainsaw and I made him put on his motocross helmet.

I figured it might be the difference between being in the ICU and being in the ICU drooling.
Quote Reply

Prev Next