Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How much help do you have around the house?
Quote | Reply
We have a nanny, dog walker, cleaner for the rental downstairs (thinking of hiring one for our half of the house too), and occasional help around the yard. I also sometimes use one of my employees for odd jobs around the house.

My wife and I both work full time +. I'm usually out of the house from 430am-5pm. Sometimes it feels like we are just working to afford the services needed to maintain the life I don't have enough time to actually enjoy.

/Rant.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, as one of the other 99%, I can say I don't have anywhere near that!

I have a kid who cuts my lawn. I hired him as a favor for his parents. That's it.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A service mows the yard; other than that, nothing.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My kids go to school/daycare (couldn't be bothered to raise them myself).

Other than that it's mostly on me. Getting better now that my husband has a more "normal" job with predictable hours.
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who makes even less than a lawyer, I too have none of those services. In fact I do everything around my house myself.

Granted, I am single with no children. So the mess is kept to a minimum. But I do have a large yard (measured in multiple whole acres) that I have to mow in the summer and a greater than 300 foot driveway I need to plow in the winter. My current project list of odd jobs includes finishing installing my laundry room cabinets with countertop and sink which includes some minor electrical, install new steps for my deck including making and burying the footings and installing a railing on my deck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neighborhood kid to biweekly mow the lawn, monthly cleaning lady, and handyman that comes to repair/odd jobs around the house around every six months.
Last edited by: patentattorney: Jun 25, 19 13:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spent most of our life with no help, For the past two years have had a cleaning service every other week.We will probably end that when the kids are off at college (in one year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a dog walker and a cleaning lady who does the bathrooms, kitchen, kids laundry and vacuums the stairs once a week. I'm out of the house from 8am to 10pm and my wife from 820am to 6pm. I mow the laws and do the gardening but that's a weird affectation that stems from me needing to do man stuff after spending the week behind a computer - everyone else on the block uses a service.

We also have a kid-sitter generally 1 or 2 nights a week.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what the hell do you do that you are out of the house from 8am-10pm?
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:

They're probably better off without you anyways ;-).

Do you have any free time?

Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8-8:15 - walk kids to school
8:15-9:05 - (MTA dependent) - subway to work
9:05 - whenever, typically 8:30 or later - work
8:30-10 - run home.

I would expect a patent attorney could sympathize!

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently am at the office from around 7:30-5PM each day. I work much less now than I used to.

Back when I was working longer hours, I would just work 6 days a week. (I in NO way advocate for this lifestyle)
Last edited by: patentattorney: Jun 25, 19 13:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cleaning lady every other Friday and a motivated type-a wife who abhors clutter.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Well, as one of the other 99%, I can say I don't have anywhere near that!

I have a kid who cuts my lawn. I hired him as a favor for his parents. That's it.

I'm almost certain you make more then me.
I guess I spend my money on such services and not race cars and shots of Pappy!

How much free time do you have? Does your wife work?

My wife has a 40hr/week job but often gets called in for an extra shift, sometimes overnight. So, she's 50+ hrs.

I'm usually around 50 but my work creeps in to my evenings with clients texting me. Also, my brain rarely fully turns off of work with planning, adjusting schedules, etc.

We have a 2 year old kid and 2.5 year old husky/German Shepherd. They require a lot. We are AirBnBing our rental right now and that is a surprising amount of hands on work.

Between organizing my business, then all the other people we employ and juggling their shit (nanny calling in sick, Airbnb cleaner cancelled on us last minute, guess we are cleaning till midnight tonight) our life just seems like it has so many moving parts. When things are running smooth, it's fine. When something goes wrong it's chaos.

The crazy thing is, we have it relatively easy. No commute, we are in good health, it's not like I'm a specialty surgeon working 100+ hrs a week, etc.

Most nights, By the time we get home and spend time with the kid and dog, eat and put our daughter down it's 9ish before we even look at chores, lawn mowing, etc. I'm just curious how other people seem to manage busy lives, multiple kids and other responsibilities with more ease, and find time for themselves. I just feel exhausted most of the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I'm just curious how other people seem to manage busy lives, multiple kids and other responsibilities with more ease, and find time for themselves. I just feel exhausted most of the time.

They are in the same boat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
We have a dog walker and a cleaning lady who does the bathrooms, kitchen, kids laundry and vacuums the stairs once a week. I'm out of the house from 8am to 10pm and my wife from 820am to 6pm. I mow the laws and do the gardening but that's a weird affectation that stems from me needing to do man stuff after spending the week behind a computer - everyone else on the block uses a service.

We also have a kid-sitter generally 1 or 2 nights a week.

Re: man stuff.

I do man stuff for a living. I LOVE the days when I'm 'stuck' In front if a computer doing paperwork!

That being said I still love mowing the lawn and working around the house. I just never have the time to enjoy those tasks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We hire out some things on an irregular basis (just had someone paint our fence but I power washed it) but other than that absolutely zero.

We both work and I started a new job that has me questioning my sanity, so we may start hiring for more routine stuff.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None. I also do all my own “house work “. That includes any issues with electrical plumbing, furnace, air conditioner, appliances, cars whatever. I even roofed my house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yard guy every week in the season. Cleaning woman every 3 weeks.
Wife stays home with 2 small ones.

used to do all of it on our own but realized that little bit of free time (1.5 hours for yard weekly, 3 hours deep cleaning every 3 weeks) is well worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:

They're probably better off without you anyways ;-).

Do you have any free time?

Yup. I do all the morning routine stuff, including getting the kids to daycare/school, then I drive directly to work. My husband picks them up. I get home, do dinner/empty lunch bags etc. After supper it's play with the kids/get them to bed. By 8ish they are all settled in and then I dog walk/clean/laundry/sit on my ass and watch tv.

Weekends are a mix of family/hobby/chores - no set schedule.

I work out a lot at lunch - so that helps free up time. I feel like I have down time now - the kids are 7 and almost 3, so life is getting "easier" all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
A service mows the yard; other than that, nothing.

x2.

Resisted it for a long time but between how bad it made my spring allergies and the hot, sweaty timesuck that mowing the yard in summer is, I finally admitted how much I actually hated it and let my wife hire a service. Outside of lawn-mowing season, they also do leaf cleanup once in the fall, and a general cleanup in early spring. We also paid them to put down new mulch this spring.
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turtleherder wrote:
None. I also do all my own “house work “. That includes any issues with electrical plumbing, furnace, air conditioner, appliances, cars whatever. I even roofed my house.

Do you work?
I'm a home Reno guy.
Reno's at home take 4x what they take me at work.

Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OakCliffTri wrote:

used to do all of it on our own but realized that little bit of free time (1.5 hours for yard weekly, 3 hours deep cleaning every 3 weeks) is well worth it.

Definitely. I realized, when I was running with my mower, that something needed to change.

Those services frees up hours of time. It doesn't take nearly that long to work enough to cover those costs (minus the Nanny, that one's a big chunk of change).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing. None.

Quote Reply

Prev Next