Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad.com [Chader09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wish we could know how close. I guess I am surprised to hear they haven't had it out for a while. Just figured it was a given. Thank you.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They posted a poll on the TR forum and asked if:
1. People wanted Outside Workouts"sooner" via stated prescriptions and no Head Unit Integration.
2. People wanted to "wait longer" for full Head Unit Integration with Outside Workouts from release.

The group in that poll sided with #1, so TR focused on doing what was quicker and easier by adding the Outside Workout pairing (to the Inside Workouts) along with the rider specific power prescriptions.
So, that is what they did.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [BigHammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigHammer wrote:
Apologies for hijacking this one.

Bryce, I was interested to see your advice with respect to the Sustained Build - perhaps being unsuitable (in standard form) for triathletes.

Does this mean that, if I had 8 weeks budgeted for a build toward a sprint triathlon, I would be better using the Sprint Build programme twice (ie 2x4 weeks Sprint Build) rather than using the 8 weeks Suatained Build?

If you have 8 Weeks budgeted specifically for Build, then yes two times through Sprint Build would be a better option because:

1. It is designed specifically for the Sprint distance event and caters to the demands you will see on race day
2. It accounts for the running and swimming stress as well. Having a complete picture of your multisport TSS allows us to create a better plan for you and better stimulate improvement.

As a disclaimer, be sure that you have time to complete both the Base and Specialty Phases before you choose to repeat Build. It sounds like you have that in mind, but I just wanted to be sure to I noted that.

Cheers!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
BigHammer wrote:
Apologies for hijacking this one.

Bryce, I was interested to see your advice with respect to the Sustained Build - perhaps being unsuitable (in standard form) for triathletes.

Does this mean that, if I had 8 weeks budgeted for a build toward a sprint triathlon, I would be better using the Sprint Build programme twice (ie 2x4 weeks Sprint Build) rather than using the 8 weeks Suatained Build?

If you have 8 Weeks budgeted specifically for Build, then yes two times through Sprint Build would be a better option because:

1. It is designed specifically for the Sprint distance event and caters to the demands you will see on race day
2. It accounts for the running and swimming stress as well. Having a complete picture of your multisport TSS allows us to create a better plan for you and better stimulate improvement.

As a disclaimer, be sure that you have time to complete both the Base and Specialty Phases before you choose to repeat Build. It sounds like you have that in mind, but I just wanted to be sure to I noted that.

Cheers!

Thanks, Bryce. Could I ask: in the context of a sprint plan, why is it necessary to complete the Speciality Phase before repeating the Build phase?

I ask because:

1. part of the beauty of the Speciality phase is the taper; it seems counter-intuitive to enjoy that taper 4 weeks before the scheduled race, and then conduct a repeated Build phase in the 4 weeks immediately before the race

2. in 2018, I completed the Sustained Build (all 8 weeks of it) before doing the Sprint Speciality Phase. The Sustained Build was tough...oh so tough!...but 8 weeks seemed achievable, and I could then enjoy the benefits of 8 weeks of Speciality, with a taper before the race.

I will be completing a full 12 week SSB before I commence the Build phase, so an 8 week Build seems achieveable. Or am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [BigHammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigHammer wrote:

Thanks, Bryce. Could I ask: in the context of a sprint plan, why is it necessary to complete the Speciality Phase before repeating the Build phase?

I ask because:

1. part of the beauty of the Speciality phase is the taper; it seems counter-intuitive to enjoy that taper 4 weeks before the scheduled race, and then conduct a repeated Build phase in the 4 weeks immediately before the race

2. in 2018, I completed the Sustained Build (all 8 weeks of it) before doing the Sprint Speciality Phase. The Sustained Build was tough...oh so tough!...but 8 weeks seemed achievable, and I could then enjoy the benefits of 8 weeks of Speciality, with a taper before the race.

I will be completing a full 12 week SSB before I commence the Build phase, so an 8 week Build seems achieveable. Or am I missing something?

Hey Big Hammer,

Reading my previous response I can see that I was not as clear as I could have been. What I meant to say is that if you are doubling up on Build, be sure that you are not skipping the other phases of your training in order to accomodate

In other words, doing Base/Build/Build/Specialty is a good approach.

But skipping Base and doing just Build/Build/Specialty is not recommended. With that time alottment, it would be better to do Base/Build/Specialty.

I hope that makes a bit more sense. From what you've told me, it sounds like you have the right idea :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hi Bryce
This may be a stupid question, I completed the 20 minute ramp test and determined my FTP. I realized the settings on my PowerTap P1 pedals for crank length were set at 170 mm rather then the 155 mm cranks which I am using.
I reset my pedal settings to 155 mm, my question, is my FTP accurate or do I need to re do the ramp test?
I am currently in the middle of the specialty phase of the half tri mid volume plan.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got two 70.3s 7 weeks apart (8/24 and 10/13). Currently wrapping up Build not in prep for the first. Any thoughts on repeating the build plan for the 1st 70.3 and then doing week 1 and weeks 3-8 of the specialty for the 2nd? The 10/13 is the A race for season with the 8/24 race being a A-/B+ race.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Mniels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mniels wrote:

Hi Bryce
This may be a stupid question, I completed the 20 minute ramp test and determined my FTP. I realized the settings on my PowerTap P1 pedals for crank length were set at 170 mm rather then the 155 mm cranks which I am using.
I reset my pedal settings to 155 mm, my question, is my FTP accurate or do I need to re do the ramp test?
I am currently in the middle of the specialty phase of the half tri mid volume plan.

Hey there!

We ran the numbers and to switch between the 170mm and 155mm cranks and you just need to multiply your earned FTP by 1.1.

We won't make you repeat your FTP test if we can help it :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
I've got two 70.3s 7 weeks apart (8/24 and 10/13). Currently wrapping up Build not in prep for the first. Any thoughts on repeating the build plan for the 1st 70.3 and then doing week 1 and weeks 3-8 of the specialty for the 2nd? The 10/13 is the A race for season with the 8/24 race being a A-/B+ race.

With Races spaced like this, your best preparation will be:

Half Distance Base
Half Distance Build
Half Distance Specialty
A Race (8/24)
Half Distance Specialty (Weeks 1-5)
Half Distance Specialty (Weeks 7-8)
A-/B+ Race (10/13)

This will allow you to properly taper for both events, and should leave you feeling prepared and ready for both events :)

You may wish to take a recovery week following your first event, in which case, trim off Week 5 of Specialty and just do Weeks 1-4 followed by the Week 7/8 taper.

I hope this helps!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it 155/170 = .91 or 170/155 = 1.1
One would give me an FTP of 225 the other an FTP of 270 !
I'm getting conflicting answers between here and the Trainerroad Forum.

My pedals were originally set at 170mm when I tested my FTP. Then adjusted to 155mm.

Just making sure, I guess if all else fails I can just retest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mniels wrote:
Is it 155/170 = .91 or 170/155 = 1.1
One would give me an FTP of 225 the other an FTP of 270 !
I'm getting conflicting answers between here and the Trainerroad Forum.

My pedals were originally set at 170mm when I tested my FTP. Then adjusted to 155mm.

Just making sure, I guess if all else fails I can just retest.

It seems like there was a miscommunication with our agent who did the math, we had it backwards. It should be 0.91. I will post the worked out math in the TR Forum for clarity.

Sorry about that!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Problem ! Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm jumping over to TR from Zwift for a build up to my A race this year, a 70.3 in late August. I have about 8 weeks, and have done a few different training plans on Zwift (Build Me Up and TT Tuneup, which I had to abort after 2/3 of the way through). My training the past 4 - 6 weeks has been less consistent, with more long outdoor rides and some random Zwift workouts but at a lower volume. I've basically lost a little on the bike and gained some on the run, so I'm looking to build the bike up before the race. Ideally I'd have indoor rides Tuesday and Thursday mornings, long outdoor rides on Saturday, and an optional Sunday ride.

Obviously I'm starting late here and can't do the ideal Base, Build, Specialty plan, so I'm wondering what my best approach would be for the next 8 weeks. I was considering either doing the Half Distance Build for 4 weeks, then the Half Distance Specialty for the final 4, or maybe just doing the full Half Distance Specialty starting now. Maybe another approach is even better - any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have swapped over from Zwift to trainer road

Its like a breath of fresh air

I can get on with what I wanted to do structed training

I had a few issues with Zwift power dropping off but staying on my Garmin!

So far in 3 weeks trainer road has never missed a beat,

The plans have various option and interesting
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crentist wrote:
I'm jumping over to TR from Zwift for a build up to my A race this year, a 70.3 in late August. I have about 8 weeks, and have done a few different training plans on Zwift (Build Me Up and TT Tuneup, which I had to abort after 2/3 of the way through). My training the past 4 - 6 weeks has been less consistent, with more long outdoor rides and some random Zwift workouts but at a lower volume. I've basically lost a little on the bike and gained some on the run, so I'm looking to build the bike up before the race. Ideally I'd have indoor rides Tuesday and Thursday mornings, long outdoor rides on Saturday, and an optional Sunday ride.

Obviously I'm starting late here and can't do the ideal Base, Build, Specialty plan, so I'm wondering what my best approach would be for the next 8 weeks. I was considering either doing the Half Distance Build for 4 weeks, then the Half Distance Specialty for the final 4, or maybe just doing the full Half Distance Specialty starting now. Maybe another approach is even better - any thoughts?

With 8 Weeks of training before your event, I would recommend the first 6 Weeks of the Half Distance Build Phase, followed by Weeks 7 and 8 of the Specialty Phase.

The reasoning behind this is that in order to take full advantage of the Specicalty Phase, you need to have completed the Build portion first. The Build is the Meat and Potatoes, while the Specialty phase is the garnish. It will add to your fitness, but not so drastically.

Week 7 and 8 of Specialty are the Taper weeks, and these will help prepare your mind and body for your event by cutting back on overall volume, while retaining a bit of intensity to keep the snap in your legs on race day :)

Welcome to TrainerRoad and I wish you the best of luck in your preparation!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com - No Computrainer? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just updated to the latest TR version. TR is not finding my Computrainer, and CT is not on the dropdown list of smart trainers. I just rode with no issues yesterday. What happened and how do I restore?

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com - No Computrainer? [Hed Case] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trainerroad sent out an email a few days ago stating that computrainer was no longer a supported platform going forward. There was a link to a legacy software version you could download.
As a long time user of trainerroad with a rock solid CT, I am not happy about being desupported
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com - No Computrainer? [rkalish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rkalish wrote:
Trainerroad sent out an email a few days ago stating that computrainer was no longer a supported platform going forward. There was a link to a legacy software version you could download.
As a long time user of trainerroad with a rock solid CT, I am not happy about being desupported

Huh, never got that email. I’ll look for an earlier version. Thanks.

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to my wife and I yesterday. Never got an e-mail either. Finally figured out that you can use the computrainer w/a legacy version of TrainerRoad. If you go to the Trainer Road site online and click support, then Browse TrainerRoad support, then technical problems, then Device Pairing Troubleshooting, then Device Walkthroughs, then Computrainer, there is a link to download the legacy version. Works like before, I used it today. Need to e-mail TrainerRoad though to see what the future will hold. Pretty disappointed if they will no longer support it, love the platform but will not buy another trainer to use it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here’s the email in case you can’t find it

We're specifically reaching out to you to let you know some of the older devices we used to accommodate in our older apps, such as the RacerMate CompuTrainer, are no longer supported in the new apps. That said, you can still use the "Legacy" version of TrainerRoad with your CompuTrainer to continue knocking out workouts.

The links for the version you’ll need to download to continue using the CompuTrainer are listed below:

Mac: https://trainerroadcdn1.blob.core.windows.net/...ainerRoad_Legacy.pkg
Windows: https://trainerroadcdn1.blob.core.windows.net/...ainerRoad_Legacy.exe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rkalish wrote:
Here’s the email in case you can’t find it

We're specifically reaching out to you to let you know some of the older devices we used to accommodate in our older apps, such as the RacerMate CompuTrainer, are no longer supported in the new apps. That said, you can still use the "Legacy" version of TrainerRoad with your CompuTrainer to continue knocking out workouts.

The links for the version you’ll need to download to continue using the CompuTrainer are listed below:

Mac: https://trainerroadcdn1.blob.core.windows.net/...ainerRoad_Legacy.pkg
Windows: https://trainerroadcdn1.blob.core.windows.net/...ainerRoad_Legacy.exe

This is perfect, thanks for sharing these links.

Sorry to everyone who did not recieve an email, I know that it's frustrating going to start a ride and not be able to connect your trainer. With the links above, you will not be asked to update and you can stay on the previous version indefinitely. For Computrainer and PowerBeam Pro users, the Legacy Apps will be your best option.

Cheers,
Bryce

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com - No Computrainer? [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce,

Would this software package allow us legacy CT users to utilize the new software?

https://perfprostudio.com/CTSmart.aspx

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rkalish wrote:
Bryce,

Would this software package allow us legacy CT users to utilize the new software?

https://perfprostudio.com/CTSmart.aspx

Thanks

Hey rkalish,

We don’t officially support this setup, but we do have some users who have successfully connected their device in this way. Since we haven’t tested it in-house we can’t make any promises, but if PerfPro works as advertised in that article, it should be able to connect your Computrainer to the new TrainerRoad apps :)

Quote Reply
Trainerroad.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been using TR this year and I'm very happy with it! Here's my question:

This week I'm finishing my oly mid volume base, from 13-21 I'll be traveling for work and will only be able to run... I have a C sprint race on 28-July, a B sprint duathlon 11-Aug and my A Olympic tri on 15-Sept. How should I schedule my training after I return from my work travel?

Thx Bryce
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Jonny89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it looks like you have 8 weeks in which to prepare after you return from your trip.

With that time-table, I would recommend:

Weeks 1-2 Olympic Build
Week 3 Build Mo-We, Week 8 Olympic Specialty Th-Su
B Race Duathlon
Weeks 3-5 Olympic Build
Week 7-8 Olympic Specialty
A Race Olympic Tri

As far as how the C race factors in, you will just "train through" that race. What that means is that you will replace your weekend workout with the race on that day, but you won't make major changes to your plan to accomidate. You keep your eye on the prize (your A race).

Good luck!

Quote Reply

Prev Next