Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2019 Ironman WC New Title Sponsor
Quote | Reply
http://www.ironman.com/...p.aspx#axzz5qkV4t9qV

It's the plant based nutrition company called Vega. I've been using their products for close to 10 years now, and am a big fan.

But wasn't last year Amazon? Vega is a much smaller company than Amazon. Interesting to see how much they put in, or alternatively, how much the Amazon deal fell through.
Regardless, I'm happy for the publicity for a company that I really enjoy.

Edit to add: I use their products because they agree with me, and taste good. This is no way an advocate for veganism/vegetarianism/carnivorism/cannibalism/any other isms there are out there. The primary source of protein in my diet is poultry and fish + good steak. I just like their products compared to other whey protein/recovery drinks I've tried.
Last edited by: vijeet88: Jun 13, 19 11:31
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Ironman WC New Title Sponsor [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh fantastic, I can add this plant-based nutrition on to my collection of Fords, Ventums, timex watches etc, all of which I ordered on Amazon last year.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello vijeet88 and All,

What do you think? .... 'Vega' just doesn't have the ring or import of 'Ford' or 'Amazon'.

Is this an omen of a trend for Ironman?

Even in Ironman Dayglow Green ..... Vega?

How the Chevy Vega Nearly Destroyed GM
The Chevrolet Vega turns 40 this year, and it's a car worth remembering­—for all the wrong reasons.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/...almost-destroyed-gm/

Of course, no one car and no one moment set GM on its downward path by itself. But the Vega embodied practically everything bad that was about to consume the corporation and, decades later, send it into bankruptcy. Maybe the Vega introduction isn't where GM went bad, but it's hard to come up with a more likely event.
Now the Vega is 40 years old. And it's worth remembering for all the wrong reasons.

Vega comes up strong on a Google search though .....

And has a nice website ...

https://myvega.com/

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Often that has been a kiss of death......a la K-Swiss, Ventum, and tons more. The independent expo at Uncle Billy's will probably have the Keto side..... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Ironman WC New Title Sponsor [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Oh fantastic, I can add this plant-based nutrition on to my collection of Fords, Ventums, timex watches etc, all of which I ordered on Amazon last year.

MyList. GoPro.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Ironman WC New Title Sponsor [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Even in Ironman Dayglow Green ..... Vega?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/...almost-destroyed-gm/

My first car was a Vega ... I kinda hoped it would grow up to be a Camaro

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vega makes great stuff. And I'm a meat eater.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Ironman WC New Title Sponsor [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been using Vega products for 5 years now. Their Sport protein contains more protein than whey for the same amount. Clean, delicious and it works well. I use their protein bars, recovery accelerator and pre workout stuff too. It’s a great company and product. I highly recommend. I tried Garden of life and Sunwarrior but Vega Sport protein is much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a brand vega is small.. (acquired for 550mm a couple years back)
But vega is part of whitewave (earthbound organic, silk, so delicious, and a bunch of other organic companies). And they all roll up to Danone. So a massive world wide company.

Alternative meat has had a ton of press... So, if Danone wants to capitalize, they'd use the brand they have that is tied to sports... And vega is certainly that.
Last edited by: dcohen24: Jun 14, 19 3:43
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Ironman WC New Title Sponsor [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like their protein powders, but their energy gels are the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I’ve been using Vega products for 5 years now. Their Sport protein contains more protein than whey for the same amount. Clean, delicious and it works well. I use their protein bars, recovery accelerator and pre workout stuff too. It’s a great company and product. I highly recommend. I tried Garden of life and Sunwarrior but Vega Sport protein is much better.

- Vega Sport has 30g protein/44g serving (68%) and costs $40/1.13 lb ($35/lb) on 10% sale
- Optimum Nutrition Whey (the most popular whey) is 75% whey and costs $10/lb at Costco

Unfortunately the price gap is still large, but I do like the company.

I find Vega is either very low on protein (non sport version), expensive even if it is on sale, or both (most of their stuff including sport). Plnt, Rawfusion, and Garden of Life can usually be had for much cheaper per gram of protein, and all taste great and cover amino acids in similar ratios as whey.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Ironman WC New Title Sponsor [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
s13tx wrote:

- Vega Sport has 30g protein/44g serving (68%) and costs $40/1.13 lb ($35/lb) on 10% sale
- Optimum Nutrition Whey (the most popular whey) is 75% whey and costs $10/lb at Costco

Unfortunately the price gap is still large, but I do like the company.

I find Vega is either very low on protein (non sport version), expensive even if it is on sale, or both (most of their stuff including sport). Plnt, Rawfusion, and Garden of Life can usually be had for much cheaper per gram of protein, and all taste great and cover amino acids in similar ratios as whey.

I’m a firm believer of animal protein, processed meat and grilled meat cause cancer so I don’t mind the price at all. It’s been working great for me and I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vijeet88 wrote:
Edit to add: I use their products because they agree with me, and taste good. This is no way an advocate for veganism/vegetarianism/carnivorism/cannibalism/any other isms there are out there. The primary source of protein in my diet is poultry and fish + good steak. I just like their products compared to other whey protein/recovery drinks I've tried.
Wheew wouldn't want people to confuse you with one of "them".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I’m a firm believer of animal protein, processed meat and grilled meat cause cancer so I don’t mind the price at all. It’s been working great for me and I love it.

I have felt better since reducing dairy in my diet, too. I still eat eggs frequently and occasionally cheese, but all of my protein powders are now vegan. It's just rare that I use vega because of their price. Plnt and Rawfusion seem to be far far cheaper for the same amount of protein and same amino acid profile. Good alternatives to Vega if you want to save some money or get some variety.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Ironman WC New Title Sponsor [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I like their protein powders, but their energy gels are the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted.

So you've not tasted the ironmannutrition.com gels then. On course nutrition in Oceania ironman races. I bought abox to use in training and didn't even finish it before realising I was going to be carrying my own gels.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice to see, originally a Canadian company and start-up in Vancouver, becoming the title sponsor.

I used to train a bit with Vega Co-Founder Brendan Brazier well before he was involved with Vega in Vancouver in the 1990's. A quiet guy, but savvy businessman! BB - has done a number of IM races. I think he may have broken 9 hours a few times!

Now Vega is part of Whitewave Foods, which is in part owned by Danone - a HUGE food company.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jun 16, 19 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Ironman WC New Title Sponsor [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you reference Ventum? Are they not producing bikes? I believe the 1st and 2nd place females were riding Ventum last weekend at IM Boulder?
Last edited by: r-b: Jun 16, 19 11:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought Vega Sports Protein Powder through Amazon based on their Ironman sponsorship. After using it as a base for my fruit smoothie, I had to pour it out because it tasted so bad. Peas and blueberries just don’t taste good together; glad I’m not a baby anymore 😆

And the taste was so bad that I got a refund from Amazon. So if anyone lives in Salt Lake City and likes this stuff, lemme know & it’s yours 😉

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Ironman WC New Title Sponsor [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Vega makes great stuff. And I'm a meat eater.

Same.

I got into the stuff when I went Vegan, but find their shakes and the nutrition of their shakes to be the best. I left being vegan, but kept this brand.

I've tried a variety of their products, including the pre workout and recovery. My current favorite flavor just to mix with water is the Mint Chocolate chip (all in one).

They are legit.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply