Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM eTap AXS 1x - 50T or 48T chainring to go with 10-28T 12-speed cassette?
Quote | Reply
Tri bike that will be ridden in flat as a board area. I've looked at the gear ratio stuff but looking for some opinions.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap AXS 1x - 50T or 48T chainring to go with 10-28T 12-speed cassette? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on the time I spend in northeast Florida - 50 miles around Amelia Island with less than 400ft of climbing... I think the 48. It's a little bigger than a 52x11, so high speed is covered. The 48x28 will be lower than the 52x25 that I need to get over the Intercoastal and not get dropped on the Saturday morning ride - when I'm in shape. Which is not now... If you find the 48x28 is too easy, you could swap to the 10x26 cassette, but only the two easiest cogs change.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap AXS 1x - 50T or 48T chainring to go with 10-28T 12-speed cassette? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my TT bike set up 1x11 with 50 x 11-28 for a flat 70.3. I could spin out the 50/11 on flats with a tailwind at race pace. I'd go with the 50 to get you a little more in the middle of the cassette more often and have 50/10 as an "overdrive". I never went into the 50/28, I think i might have went into the 50/22 when i was on a false flat with a nasty headwind. But it's nice to have some bailout gears, especially in training when you are trying to just have a recovery ride.
Last edited by: CyclingClyde: Jun 14, 19 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap AXS 1x - 50T or 48T chainring to go with 10-28T 12-speed cassette? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
I had my TT bike set up 1x11 with 50 x 11-28 for a flat 70.3. I could spin out the 50/11 on flats with a tailwind at race pace. I'd go with the 50 to get you a little more in the middle of the cassette more often and have 50/10 as an "overdrive". I never went into the 50/28, I think i might have went into the 50/22 when i was on a false flat with a nasty headwind. But it's nice to have some bailout gears, especially in training when you are trying to just have a recovery ride.

50/11 at 90rpm is 32mph. At 110rpm, which is closer to spinning out, it's 40 mph. I think hardly anyone else here is doing that on flats with a tailwind unless it's a hurricane. lol
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap AXS 1x - 50T or 48T chainring to go with 10-28T 12-speed cassette? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
CyclingClyde wrote:

50/11 at 90rpm is 32mph. At 110rpm, which is closer to spinning out, it's 40 mph. I think hardly anyone else here is doing that on flats with a tailwind unless it's a hurricane. lol

I should add the caveat, that I do not spin anywhere near 110, or even 100 rpm. My comfort range is 80-85 and I greatly dislike spinning over 95. YMMV. Also, on flats raw power output (or W/CdA) or much more important so if the OP is a lower power rider, this may not be an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap AXS 1x - 50T or 48T chainring to go with 10-28T 12-speed cassette? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP is not a low power rider. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
The OP is not a low power rider. :-)

Ha! Then my advice stands...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Tri bike that will be ridden in flat as a board area. I've looked at the gear ratio stuff but looking for some opinions.

What did you end up going with?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap AXS 1x - 50T or 48T chainring to go with 10-28T 12-speed cassette? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50t

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your thoughts in running the 50t front with best rear combo?

Was looking at charts last night the 10-26 and 10-28 still seem to have a pretty good range

Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap AXS 1x - 50T or 48T chainring to go with 10-28T 12-speed cassette? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went with a 10-28 cassette.

The only small PITA is starting from a dead stop with a 50t after years and years of being used to shifting into a small ring. Not a big deal though.

A 1x makes sense and is a nice solution for flat land riding. There's no way I'd use it in hilly terrain though. A steep and long uphill would be punishing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think I will plan on training with a 10-33 and racing on a 10-28, not much difference btw a 10-28 and 10-26 main gearing is identical. I run 54/42 with a 11/25 or 11/28 for the vast majority of my riding now, so I dont think I lose a lot in terms of ratios. Unless you can provided me with more insight, this is what I have gathered from my one night of research.

Last edited by: Toothengineer: Nov 7, 19 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that some of the stores online sell the 52T SRAM RED AXS Power Meter Kit, does anyone have it on their bike or is it considering the upgrade?
Quote Reply