Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Talking about riding long, RAAM is a couple days in now
Quote | Reply
I was thinking this was about RAAM time, so looked it up and they are just over 2 days in, here is the site to follow;

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/...WdeGOc9U6qvUOwNcdYx0

Warning though, it is a horrible site to navigate, who does these sites, certainly not athletes who know something about watching a race online..

I was remembering back when Kenny Souza, Tinker Juarez, and Jonathan Boyer did it, and they added a pro category and made it a kind of stage race. Are they still doing that, or is it all just fire the gun and go until you finish? If they do have prize money, they are keeping it a good secret on that website, or am I just blind??

Anyway looks like a veteran of the race is leading, and averaging 18 1/2 mph or so. That would be a very good finish pace, probably a record? I know the first days had to be brutal, it was 112 in Palm Springs the past few days, and that race spends the first days just crossing desert, so ouch!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Talking about riding long, RAAM is a couple days in now [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No pro/stage racing, just race right from the gun until you get to Annapolis. The leader, Christoph Strasser, is a beast - trying to become the first male 6-time winner, I think. Interestingly, Marlo Baloh, in second place overall, is racing in 50-59 age division. Even more interestingly, Seana Hogan, the only 6-time winner (I think), is the first female over age 60 to race, and she is currently second overall. Yay old people!
If you start watching, you will become an obsessive “dot watcher”, as you watch their progress across the country on the live tracker map. Enjoy!
Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Re: Talking about riding long, RAAM is a couple days in now [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Small piece of trivia - solo riders retain the number they are/were given the first year they raced. This year’s racers are in the 600’s. Seana Hogan is 161, Marko Baloh is 279, Christoph Strasser is 377. Tinker and Souza were 310 and 311, Jon Howard was 2. The full list is on the website, under “Racers” tab, Solo Numbers.
Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Monty,
We did raam twice as a 4 person relay and riding “long” wasn’t the issue. Even our first try where we did 1 hour pulls until we hit Missouri ... wasn’t about riding long as it was hard. Once we saw what the leaders were doing we switched to 20 to 30min pulls. That year we were second by like 90min !! It was super hard and oddly crazy fun.
The second time we did it 5 years later... we were better prepared as riders on what to expect. But our crew just.. well, wasn’t up to the task.
Both times we averaged just around 22mph. Got second both times. Argh. But what an event.... I always check in while it’s happening.

Daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the map on that their website the racers will ride the same roads I train on. Problem is that about 30 miles of that route in underwater right now due to the flooding here in the Midwest. Curious as to how they will re-route them.
Quote Reply