Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually just heard about TBT, their deadline is August 24. I actually haven't thought about what I would do with the down time while I'm there, so much to do! And actually it looks like the flying straight to Nice is the cheapest option at around $670

Unfortunately I cannot take anymore days off work, and luckily the Tuesday to Monday flights also seem to be the most affordable option.

By issues with Airbnb I wasn't really talking about Airbnb itself (though it would suck to have the host cancel on me). I'm more concerned of the lack of 'support' so to speak that a hotel could give if you know what I mean. With Airbnb you're kinda just on your own.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like I am the only European waving his 70.3 WC Nice flag so far!? ;-) Still I can add some comments on travel etc.:
- Oversees travel: I would also typically go with the "1 day per 1 hour time difference" rule of thump. Plus, it definitively helps if you get up early morning in the days before the travel. That typically helps me (when travelling to the East) to fall asleep on the plane. Stay awake the day you arrive in France and try to get to bed to usual times. Other than that: Nice is beautiful. Great food, nice beach, good shopping, gorgeous in the mountains! Take your time to enjoy. I will actually bring my family and stay a full week.
- Weather: Should be wetsuit legal. Can be hot on the run (with aid stations every mile, so should not be an issue).
- Airbnb: Typically reliable and not an issue in Europe (stayed in many different countries via airbnb). I easily found an apartment that is in walking distance to the start/finish. Overall, Nice is pretty expensive though.
- Bike: You go uphill for quite a while. You will descent 3.000 ft. Maybe it's just me, but I will take my road bike with clip-on bar. Just don't like staying in aero in uphill sections (which does not make sense if you drop below 10~12m/hr anyway from my pov) and I feel more comfortable on the road bike for bike handling on the descent.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [smoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just received an email from Ironman about the bike rental program they work with. They have an option for a TT bike (Ventum) and several toad bikes., as well as race wheels and power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
having ridden those roads a lot, no question. TT bike.
Now I'm super-torn. Your comment gave me confidence that riding a TT bike is the key. Then a friend of mine and I floated the question to a former pro cyclist with some tri experience who has also ridden those roads, and he said road bike with clip-ons is the no brainer. So, I now have two opposing no-brainer views. His thought was that the road bike gives the best of both worlds for the technical nature (up and down) of the course.

You are the true TT guy, so I am leaning heavily your way on this. Plus, I bet all the pros and most of the top AG people are on TT bikes. It's my first race at this level, so I want to maximize the experience.

So, I will probably do a couple test rides on a similar course near Greenville to see how my TT bike goes. If I am comfortable on the uphill and can stay in the drops most of the time on the way down, then I will stick with the TT bike. Otherwise, I will do a total reconfigure of my road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Slowman wrote:
having ridden those roads a lot, no question. TT bike.

Now I'm super-torn. Your comment gave me confidence that riding a TT bike is the key. Then a friend of mine and I floated the question to a former pro cyclist with some tri experience who has also ridden those roads, and he said road bike with clip-ons is the no brainer. So, I now have two opposing no-brainer views. His thought was that the road bike gives the best of both worlds for the technical nature (up and down) of the course.

You are the true TT guy, so I am leaning heavily your way on this. Plus, I bet all the pros and most of the top AG people are on TT bikes. It's my first race at this level, so I want to maximize the experience.

So, I will probably do a couple test rides on a similar course near Greenville to see how my TT bike goes. If I am comfortable on the uphill and can stay in the drops most of the time on the way down, then I will stick with the TT bike. Otherwise, I will do a total reconfigure of my road bike.

Having done the Nice race at the WC years ago, I concur with Tri bike. Practice descending and you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Climbed Mt Lemmon on my tri bike. About 4mi to climb then 22mi of climbing, short decent to the top and then back down with the 4mi in the wind to the finish. A lot like the Nice course. 2 things I didn’t count on were the pain in my triceps’s and wrists. Climbing on the basebar and especially the pads was not fun.

Anyone know if the roads will b closed on both sides in Nice.

Was also thinking how are they going to enforce drafting?

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Climbed Mt Lemmon on my tri bike. About 4mi to climb then 22mi of climbing, short decent to the top and then back down with the 4mi in the wind to the finish. A lot like the Nice course. 2 things I didn’t count on were the pain in my triceps’s and wrists. Climbing on the basebar and especially the pads was not fun.

Anyone know if the roads will b closed on both sides in Nice.

Has not been in the past

Was also thinking how are they going to enforce drafting?

They don't. Very little in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [HudsonTriBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those of you shipping your bike, how do you coordinate when it arrives to the venue versus when you arrive? I will need to ship mine out from a location that is a good distance away from where I live and it will not ship on the same day I am leaving. Can you ship your bike in advance of your travel day and pick it up fairly easily when you arrive in France (at the venue)?

I have never done this before so appreciate any logistical advice and all of this and how it works.

Thanks guys and gals!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike choice will be here on the 20th....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ironman youtube account just posted a bike course preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oB7n2TjSMw

That decent is going to be wild..

Strava
Last edited by: mstewarttri: Jun 19, 19 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [mstewarttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a beautiful bike course!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT bike. If you're qualified you're serious about your performance and the TT will end up faster. That said don't hope for huge gains, road bike won't be penalized a lot. Still they LL suffer a bit the long stretch near start finish. Downhill TT is also marginally faster on this course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will someone redo that video and slow it down just like 50%. That’s tough to watch. Hey there’s a bunch of sharp turns coming up..... well show em to you at 20x speed lol

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but you can play it back at 50% speed using the settings on youtube.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just watched youtube video

TT Bike for me the decent looks great only counted a few really tight bends ,we did alpe d huez long course on a TT bike and did not lose any time on decents and they a lot steeper than nice

hopefully all the numpty decenders keep to side of road
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
For those of you shipping your bike, how do you coordinate when it arrives to the venue versus when you arrive? I will need to ship mine out from a location that is a good distance away from where I live and it will not ship on the same day I am leaving. Can you ship your bike in advance of your travel day and pick it up fairly easily when you arrive in France (at the venue)?

I have never done this before so appreciate any logistical advice and all of this and how it works.

Thanks guys and gals!

I'm using tribike transport. Cost for me is $650 and they claim it will be ready at Ironman Village on Wednesday the 4th, and after the race you just hand them your bike and they take care of the rest.. I've never used them before but my LBS gave a rec. And it's much simpler than having to take it on the plane.

Just finished my Itinerary. Will be flying to IAD to Paris, and taking a domestic easyjet to NCE, Then Fly back to Paris Monday morning and departing for IAD at 5PM
For me this was the most cost effective solution by $1k an d avoids a 10hr overnight layover. AND I paid completely with credit card points :)

I gave it a lot of thought and chose to book my hotel with Endurance Sports Travel. Double the price of a basic airbnb but I think It'll be worth it

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/...amp;index=7&t=0s

your welcome.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
Y-Tri wrote:

Thanks guys and gals!

I'm using tribike transport. Cost for me is $650 and they claim it will be ready at Ironman Village on Wednesday the 4th, and after the race you just hand them your bike and they take care of the rest.. I've never used them before but my LBS gave a rec. And it's much simpler than having to take it on the plane.

Just finished my Itinerary. Will be flying to IAD to Paris, and taking a domestic easyjet to NCE, Then Fly back to Paris Monday morning and departing for IAD at 5PM
For me this was the most cost effective solution by $1k an d avoids a 10hr overnight layover. AND I paid completely with credit card points :)

I gave it a lot of thought and chose to book my hotel with Endurance Sports Travel. Double the price of a basic airbnb but I think It'll be worth it

If you've never flown easyjet before, just make sure you read all the baggage limits and check-in procedures. I've flown it a bunch and it's fine, but Easyjet/Ryanair/etc are budget airlines that simply don't exist in North America and they come with some quirks that may be unfamiliar. Ex. Your carry-on from your flight over there may be too big for easyjet so you'll have to pay or check it, etc. You also should check-in before you get to the airport, since I'm pretty sure they charge for airport check-in as well.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea I noticed all the nickel and diming when I reserved the seat. It added %50 to the original cost

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shows how much I use YouTube lol

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another good option Paris to Nice.....

https://www.raileurope.com/...18f9b26a2f1b7002b3e5

"The average travel time between Paris and Nice is 7h09 minutes. The quickest route is 5h37 minutes. The first train leaving Paris is at 07:11, the last at 21:57. There is an average of 27 trains a day between Paris and Nice, leaving approximately every 35 minutes.

Travel from Paris to Nice in comfort & style on-board the high-speed TGV train at speeds of up to 200mph. Competitive fares & e-tickets are offered for TGV trains."
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, depending on when you arrived at CDG airport that might be a great option!

Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [stivrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stivrunning wrote:
Just watched youtube video

hopefully all the numpty decenders keep to side of road

I'll apologize now -- I'll be the guy on the right side smoking some brake pads. I think it'll be hecku fun and I've raced/ridden in the mountains plenty but after watching the video, I think I'll need some breaks from *not* braking ...

Thanks for posting the video, really cool and helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I have any intention of attempting to be competitive here (This race is mostly going to be used as a really cool way to have a training day for an upcoming IM), but what is the best power strategy for a profile like this?

Hammer the first half of the bike course hard, and relax totally on the second half? My usual strategy for courses of this profile is to keep it easy on the first half, and hammer the second half thus starting to pick off those who overdid the climb. However on a course like this with all the twisty descending, that strategy doesn't look like it will work right.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Not that I have any intention of attempting to be competitive here (This race is mostly going to be used as a really cool way to have a training day for an upcoming IM), but what is the best power strategy for a profile like this?

Hammer the first half of the bike course hard, and relax totally on the second half? My usual strategy for courses of this profile is to keep it easy on the first half, and hammer the second half thus starting to pick off those who overdid the climb. However on a course like this with all the twisty descending, that strategy doesn't look like it will work right.

We rode the 70.3 WC Nice bike course last week after a week in the Dolomites and Alps of Italy. After descending Giau and Stelvio we didn't find the Nice course descent all that technical. We had disc brake road bikes in Italy and planned the same in France renting from FBR the IM partner, but most of us ended up with rim brake road bikes. I had to laugh because the rep explained away the disc discrepancy by telling us he preferred rim brakes. I was actually more bummed about getting a bike with a 30 while the others came with 32 cassettes! We rode the course the same day with thunderstorm clouds looming all day. Then in Saint Jeannet the sky opened up with something greater than 1"/hour of downpour. I kept thinking back to the rim brake conversation and laughing that I was two for two with my last two France rides and descending in thunderstorms (see my earlier post about Pay's d'Aix last year). At least I had aluminum wheels and not carbon clinchers.

The rest of the week was clear and hot leading into the current heat wave. We also rode most of the IM France bike route too as we were based in a Vence VRBO and traversing Nice to the east was tough with a music festival and FIFA WC underway.

The Col de Vence climb that has been focused on in this thread is definitely noteworthy. It was less difficult than expected and can be reasonably paced throughout. More noteworthy was just how nasty we found the climbing starting around 12k to be. They aren't long climbs, but are steeper than any section of the Col de Vence and they come early in the bike.

There is a lot of descending, but the higher elevation descending allowed for a lot of visibility. The lower elevation descending felt a bit more risky due to vegetation and terrain shadowing the road in places. On road bikes we just kind of rocked through it, but more care will be necessary on a tri bike. It reminded me a bit of some iterations of the Vineman courses where there can be nasty pavement conditions in the shadows. The IM bike course map info below the turn by turn description gives solid information on where to proceed with caution. They were marking the IM course while we were there and highlighting all pavement and road hazards with spray paint ahead of the hazard and at the hazard if was a pavement issue. There were a lot of recent pavement repairs on the higher course and the equipment was still out there parked. Nothing was repaired on the lower part of the course when we were there.

The other item to note is that we logged around 4,300-4,500 feet of climbing on our ride and this included a solid climb from our rental to where we hit the course. So, the advertised 5k is probably a little bit high.
Quote Reply

Prev Next