Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 HAWAI`I tips [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm lucky and right behind you but totally agree. I'll be swimming over a ton of people in the first group. And this hurts the slower swimmers just as much as the fast.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 HAWAI`I tips [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there anyone who biked fast that would be willing to share metrics? Or anyone who could confirm my suspicion? I forgot to calibrate my power meter the whole week being down at the race and I suspect my power was off. Below are my metrics, I am suspecting a low reading because BBS race analyzer is telling me I had a CdA of .2018 which is way off than anything it gave me before (usually .23-245 range) and I'm pretty sure is close to world-class CdA, which if you saw my turtling head you would know is not possible...

Power meter: Stages single left crank (perhaps the problem right off the bat?)
NP=232 / Avg=222
Weight=77kg
Time: 2:23:40
Distance 89.6km

Last time I did this race, I had an NP of 203 with a time of 2:42 and change with a different helmet and wheelset. I guess I am having a hard time believing that 30 watts makes that much of a difference.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't consider it fast but here are my metrics. I imagine my CdA is not the best so might be possible your numbers are correct. Also I got a bit long on the distance which messes the numbers up a little.

Power Meter: Garmin Vector 3
NP: 230
AVG: 221
Weight: 72.5kg
Time: 2:30
Distance: 91.6km
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 HAWAI`I tips [Blizzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blizzard wrote:
I wouldn't consider it fast but here are my metrics. I imagine my CdA is not the best so might be possible your numbers are correct. Also I got a bit long on the distance which messes the numbers up a little.

Power Meter: Garmin Vector 3
NP: 230
AVG: 221
Weight: 72.5kg
Time: 2:30
Distance: 91.6km

Thanks! pretty similar stats to mine, save my extra beer weight but given that, I have to think I am low by a bit. Granted it is n=1 but it certainly felt harder than 232

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think I had the 3rd fastest bike split overall: 2:16.45
PM: stages left side.
6’ft 2inchs 182 pounds
NP:268W.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 HAWAI`I tips [BrianMancini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianMancini wrote:
Think I had the 3rd fastest bike split overall: 2:16.45
PM: stages left side.
6’ft 2inchs 182 pounds
NP:268W.

Smokin! congrats on the AG win. Interesting as you seem to have a similar position to me (same bike too!). Sure there are many differences of course but it does make me lean back towards trusting my power reading.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 HAWAI`I tips [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm registered for the race next year. I've been to Kona 3x (the city, not the IMWC race) so I'm familiar with the area. I've also hung out in Waikoloa a couple of times, and have gone snorkeling around Hapuna. So once again somewhat familiar with the surroundings.

I only have two questions:

1. Am I correct in thinking the Fairmont is the no-brainer place to stay?
2. Hed Jet 6+ or Hed H3+ wheelset?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN 70.3 HAWAI`I tips [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I'm registered for the race next year. I've been to Kona 3x (the city, not the IMWC race) so I'm familiar with the area. I've also hung out in Waikoloa a couple of times, and have gone snorkeling around Hapuna. So once again somewhat familiar with the surroundings.

1. if you can afford, yes. parking otherwise is a bit annoying to deal with on the day before and day of. if you want anothe interesting yet expensive place to stay, Hapuna prince s next best as you would be by swim/T1. I normally stay in Kailua for my first few days there and do the minimum 4 or 5 nights at farmont just around the race.
2. I advocate shallower wheels normally for Kona however for the Honu, because it is earlier in the day we rarely get the epic conditions that sometimes hit the IM. but they still can...

fwiw, I will see you there, it will be my 4th time racing this.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

1. if you can afford, yes. parking otherwise is a bit annoying to deal with on the day before and day of. if you want anothe interesting yet expensive place to stay, Hapuna prince s next best as you would be by swim/T1. I normally stay in Kailua for my first few days there and do the minimum 4 or 5 nights at farmont just around the race.
2. I advocate shallower wheels normally for Kona however for the Honu, because it is earlier in the day we rarely get the epic conditions that sometimes hit the IM. but they still can...

fwiw, I will see you there, it will be my 4th time racing this.

Fortunately (or unfortunately for my bank account) I can afford the Fairmont. It looks like a real nice place and obviously super convenient so I'll probably book there. The special rates for the IM are a pretty decent discount (like 25% off) so that softens the blow somewhat.

I'm torn on the Jet 6+ or H3+. The H3+ is the same depth of 60mm but the blades are obviously going to add a fair bit of wind exposure. Probably the Jet 6+ because aero differences between the two are probably negligible at best and the Jet 6+ would certainly handle better.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We stayed in Waikoloa Village in the Kolea condos right next to the Marriott. We didn't find logistics to be an issue at all, easy to get to packet pickup and the race morning parking and shuttle went quick. I liked having the the extra room and being able to make some of our own meals staying in the condo vs a hotel. I flew with my bike so having some elbow room to assemble/disassemble was nice. Plenty of athletes stay around there, and since you know the area you know there are some restaurants, shopping, etc. We'd definitely stay there again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I went this year (Texas athlete here too)

1. Yes. Absolutely. Everything is there.
2. I used Jet 6+. It wasn’t an especially windy day this year. It was more than fine. I’d do the same again.

Dan
Quote Reply

Prev Next