Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Good insight this morning from retired NHL referee Paul Stewart: https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=99851

Both he and fellow retired ref Kerry Fraser have been critical of how the league has handled the officiating issues that have happened throughout the post-season across practically every team/series. With the game becoming ever faster and the available technology improving, it makes more sense to have a third official off-ice who can weigh in on this stuff. They currently have the offside challenge where someone's skate blade can be mere fractions of an inch on the line as a team gains the zone and scores 45 seconds later be a reviewable/reversible call, but should also have a process in place to address the other issues that have occurred throughout this post-season.
Yeah I've heard the elsewhere and totally agree. Off-ice official sitting at press level who's mic'd up to the on-ice officials and can weigh in on 50/50 calls or call out egregious on-ice decisions. It doesn't need to slow down the game or lead to reviews, it just puts an official where they can see the whole game the best: above ice level. Now, that doesn't solve everything - the non-call last night, the major penalty in the Sharks series, these are calls best made on the ice and they were flat-out misjudged by on-ice officials, but it would give a different perspective to officials trying to call a fair game.

I don't know what can be done about terrible calls beyond holding the refs more accountable in some manner, or as the article says better recruitment and training. It's a damn fast game, something like the Tarasenko dive is 50/50, missing the Chara slash depends on who's looking where/who's blocked from view. Those are real tough calls. Even the major penalty in the Sharks series was really tough, though on review it should be a slam dunk. Coaches should be able to challenge more imo.

The game is already fast enough, a few extra minutes for coaches challenges, and an off-ice official to get a better view of the game would really help improve the NHL product to me.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But you already have 2 on ice refs. Adding someone off ice just adds an extra opinion. An extra judgement caller. I am good with video review for all scoring plays, but not penalties. If the two guys out there blow it, so be it. Grade them after the fact, train them up, or sit them down.

What about offsides whistles that aren't really offsides. You can't review that and put everyone back where they were and restart. Some things are just judgement calls and always will be.

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Game 7 Wednesday night.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sooo... anyone else been playing Doc Emrick Drinking Final? Terms we've been using:

Ricochet
Shoveled
Knifed
Sachet
Gotten on by

Anyone else got any?

Game 5 sucked... Doc was all over the Ricochet the first two periods...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Game 7 Wednesday night.
Rask stole this one before the B's offense woke up. Could've been a 3-0/3-1 game before the 3rd if he hadn't stood on his head, CLEAR Conn Smythe if they pull this off in game 7.

That said this team is resilient, they were getting pounded all night and pressed on, the Carlo goal was a softie but they poured it on after that.

Now we get a win-or-go-home for the Cup, nothing better than that! Wednesday is gonna take forever to get here. LET'S GO B'S!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't have a horse in this series but do enjoy the fights...

https://twitter.com/...ers-joe-douglas-jets
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
Sooo... anyone else been playing Doc Emrick Drinking Final? Terms we've been using:

Ricochet
Shoveled
Knifed
Sachet
Gotten on by

Anyone else got any?

Game 5 sucked... Doc was all over the Ricochet the first two periods...

Doc is the best! I sooooo love his pregnant pause icing call. Game seven says he is good for "and they will soon be shaking hands in center ice" call during one of the more physical, after the whistle, face washing moments.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ladled...........

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blues up 2-0 at beginning of 2nd period. I don't have a horse in this race, but it would be cool for St Louis to get their first Cup. Game 7, baby!
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And BLeP wins the pool.

Suck it bitches. Suck it long and suck it hard.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to the Blues and their fans. Well deserved.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a great series. Binnington was the key allowing them to weather the early storm and put on a couple of opportunistic first period goals. Both teams played great and the final score could have easily been 4-1 Boston.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gloria ...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=355Fk8drgZE
Last edited by: TriFloyd: Jun 12, 19 20:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:

Class, especially from someone in MA. Unlike Blep, who gloats about winning a pool that most of us have never heard of.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs [TriFloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<insert gif of Robert Redford nodding>

Hell yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well considering despite the thread title, the thread was bout the bracket. So please, clean the sand out of your pussy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:

Class, especially from someone in MA. Unlike Blep, who gloats about winning a pool that most of us have never heard of.

Its BLeP and I'd prefer that you just call me Mr. Hockey.

https://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/...ues/st-lavender-room

Last edited by: BLeP: Jun 13, 19 5:05
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man did that suck and blow at the same time.

The game, to me, came down to two things: Binnington standing on his head in the first (maybe getting a little lucky on a few chances, but making the saves regardless) and a late-period defensive breakdown (what was Marchand doing making a line change w/ 12 seconds left???) + Rask not making a save he'll make 80% of the time. If the score is 1-0, 2-1, 1-1 going into the second this is a DRAMATICALLY different game. As is the Blues went into a trap game and they're VERY VERY good with the trap, lots of big bodies and active sticks disrupting the Bruins forecheck. The 2nd was just a futile period of the B's not adjusting to the Blues sitting back at the blue line. They made some good adjustments in the 3rd - lot of cross-ice dump ins helped generate a forecheck - but Binnington hung on and the Blues capitalized on the few chances they got.

I won't blame anyone for the loss but it's disappointing. That said the Blues had a hell of a postseason, a hell of a SC Finals and dominated the most important game of the year. I'm happy for them and their fans. Leila (sp?) on the ice with the Cup was beautiful to watch. Good sports town, I'm happy for them, just wish we were celebrating in Boston but they were the better team. Oh well, until next year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only watched the 3rd period but a couple of things I noticed. The ice was horrible. That doesn't help the team that desperately needs offence. Thanks June Hockey. Also that pad save Binnington made midway through the 3rd was massive. It was still 2-0, that would have made it 2-1 then St. Louis scored about a minute later to put the game away.

Massive, massive save.

Seeing Marchand crying after the game gave me warm, fuzzy feelings. I felt for the rest of the Bruins though; I can't imagine how much losing that game sucks.

Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I only watched the 3rd period but a couple of things I noticed. The ice was horrible. That doesn't help the team that desperately needs offence. Thanks June Hockey. Also that pad save Binnington made midway through the 3rd was massive. It was still 2-0, that would have made it 2-1 then St. Louis scored about a minute later to put the game away.

Massive, massive save.

Seeing Marchand crying after the game gave me warm, fuzzy feelings. I felt for the rest of the Bruins though; I can't imagine how much losing that game sucks.

Spot on with the ice! I heard some sports talk nitwits flaming the Blues GM for tearing into the ice crew for not having it ready in time for their practice and all I could think was 'yeah well the ice is SHIT to begin with, he should be pissed'. Watching the puck bounce all over - worse and worse as the game went on - it made the Blues first period lead that much more important. If you're the 'finesse' team needing a few goals against a big, physical, defensive-minded opponent the last thing you want is shitty ice.

Agree on the Binnington save (it was on Nordstrom), however if you didn't see the first there were probably five or six saves that Binnington made which just as impressive. The Bruins were ALL OVER the Blues in the first...after their first goal I shrugged, the Bruins were rolling and would surely pot one eventually. After goal 2 - with 7 second left in the period - I was shitting bricks, knowing the Blues could trap the B's into oblivion the rest of the game. They played a real smart game but it was a '90's Devils style of hockey they could only afford to play because they had a two goal cushion. I think a few puck bounces in the first would've made for a dramatically different game last night.
Last edited by: Brownie28: Jun 13, 19 12:05
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs [TriFloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

https://www.nhl.com/...ory-song/c-304750776

Glad to help

#flyeaglesfly

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fucking hilarious

https://deadspin.com/...winning-t-1835484884

In other news, I heard Doc Emrick say "... um ..." at some point in the 3rd period while trying to divine who had the puck somewhere behind the goal

I didn't know "um" was in his vocabulary

Doc calling the play-by-play construction of his own signature @primantibros sandwich

https://twitter.com/...965786574848/video/1

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Nordstrom save was huge, as was the one in the first when Krug basically lobbed the puck in to Krejci down low where he slipped behind both D and was all alone in front. I had a bad feeling at that point where that was like the third or fourth ridiculous save Binnington had made by then (about 1/2way through the first), so he was definitely feeling it and locked into a zone. Very similar to Game 5 where the Bruins threw everything at him in the first period and had nothing to show for it. The first goal was tough where it was deflected, the second one was the killer where Marchand just blew that one defensively. Game was over at that point where the Blues went into shutdown mode.

Speaking of, the Blues showed that the heavy game isn't dead, using a similar approach that teams like the Kings and Bruins used earlier this decade to win Cups before the league transitioned to a more speed-oriented game. It'll be interesting to see where the NHL has traditionally been a copycat league if other teams follow suit.

Two other final thoughts - I loved what the Blues did with the little girl Laila where she flew on the team charter to and from Boston in addition to being on the ice and holding the Cup. I also stayed up to watch the Cup ceremony just to hear the F bombs fly around on live TV as the players took their turns with the Cup. Always entertaining.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough series for me and other Bruins fans. I think we’re a better team but the scoreboard doesn’t lie and congrats to the Blues.

Not sure who stays or goes during offseason, but would like to see a big time goal scorer join the club. Very pleased with Carlo and Krug development. Need to mix the lines up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next