Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2019 will be the last Ironman Boulder
Quote | Reply
https://303triathlon.com/...ast-ironman-boulder/

From 303triathlon..

The champion of Sunday’s race will be the last champion for the foreseeable future of a full-distance IRONMAN race in Boulder. For us at 303 Endurance Network, parent of 303Triathlon, it’s been an amazing 6 years of covering and racing this race.
The first race director of IRONMAN Boulder, Dave Christen shared his thoughts saying, “IRONMAN Boulder has been such a great event because of the people who raced it and those amazing volunteers who put the race on. Between Dan, Tim, and myself as the different Race Directors of the event for the 6 years, we all agree we have only played a very small role. The City of Boulder, Boulder County, and Colorado State Patrol, all hosted a world class event in a world class city. We are excited about the changes in the IRONMAN calendar as we are seeing athletes gravitating towards new experiences and new host communities. Boulder will always be in the IRONMAN calendar in some form and we are are proud of the athletes who raced one of the most beautiful and challenging courses in the series. I personally want to say thank you to everyone who played a role in the event and for those that provided such honest and constructive feedback over the years. I wanted it to be a race dictated by the athletes and I can say we did that. Congratulations to everyone who has and will conqour this race! “
Sunday’s race should be iconic with three former champions racing the men’s and women’s pro field and Boulder native pros Sam Long and Colin Laughery competing.
For us at 303Triathlon, this race has been our “Super Bowl” and covering it with the iconic Boulder creek path “flux capacitor” run course, the downtown finish line, and the amazing support of so many local triathletes made the atmosphere simply electric.
No doubt the race had declined in popularity and there are many possible reasons for that. When you look at the national landscape and see the decline in participation in some long standing races and the increase in participation in new venues, it seems to support how athletes do like different choices. Some races will be returning to their origins such as St. George and Penticton. So who knows, maybe a return to Boulder is possible someday.
Last edited by: marathoner31: Jun 7, 19 11:46
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 will be the last Ironman Boulder [marathoner31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aha! I predict it will return 'someday' as the 3rd leg of the new rotational series (St George, CdA, Boulder).

Still, not surprised but a bit sad as this was my very first IM. I know people around me in NYC and now PDX always mention the elevation as a reason to not do it but that's sad since it really isn't that bad...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 will be the last Ironman Boulder [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Aha! I predict it will return 'someday' as the 3rd leg of the new rotational series (St George, CdA, Boulder).

Agree

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aha! I predict it will return 'someday' as the 3rd leg of the new rotational series (St George, CdA, Boulder). ///

And dont forget Lake Tahoe too!! Unfortunately hard courses do not fit the profile of the bucket listers, or veterans chasing the meaningless PR's. The course profile with the altitude, just makes it too hard in peoples minds, and the amount of hard athletes out there, are not enough to make it successful.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 will be the last Ironman Boulder [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Aha! I predict it will return 'someday' as the 3rd leg of the new rotational series (St George, CdA, Boulder). ///

And dont forget Lake Tahoe too!! Unfortunately hard courses do not fit the profile of the bucket listers, or veterans chasing the meaningless PR's. The course profile with the altitude, just makes it too hard in peoples minds, and the amount of hard athletes out there, are not enough to make it successful.

Praying they bring back Tahoe, but sadly not holding my breath

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 will be the last Ironman Boulder [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta say that I was surprised by how much I was affected by the altitude having arrived from essentially the sea level (about 500 feet). It was my 4th day in CO and it really hit me when I got in the water and then in the last 10 miles of the run. Ran the slowest IM marathon... so the people's fears were not that far fetched....

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 will be the last Ironman Boulder [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Colorado and it was my slowest swim and marathon but like I always say, if it was easy, they'd call it football. I am drawn to courses that offer unique challenge... Canada for the climbing on the bike, Cozumel for the heat and wind. Haven't found much compelling about Florida, Arizona, Texas or Louisville. Attended my first IM race at Boulder the first year and volunteered every year. Sad to see it go especially since it seems like they finally got course figured out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Do you think this will be ironman's new thing? Instead of having long standing races in certain venues they will begin rotating venues between 3-4 different locations? Maybe keeping Placid, Arizona, Florida, Tremblant but then rotating all the other races by region. This is a stretch for region but say rotating Maryland, Louisville and Wisconsin. IM Texas, Tulsa and Chatt, etc. This would obviously cut down on the races per year that ironman has to offer but they might be able to get more cities on board since the race would only be ever 2-3 years.
Quote Reply