Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I know, kidding. 1.5 in that river would be faster than 1.2
agree. It’s a fast swim for sure. 1.5 in that swim wouldn’t be a problem in my opinion. Hope they can find an all downstream section whether it’s 1.2 or 1.5 just so they don’t have to worry as much about cancelling.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:
I haven't made it through all the comments, but I will say thanks in advance for the feedback. Its never an easy decision to alter any part of the race. I thought I had this one. The fine folks at TVA did more than I asked for up at the dam, but we can't do anything about the creeks that dumped into the river once we lowered the water level. Mother nature wins. Im going to revisit a different start location for next year. If you think my math sucks for the IMChoo bike course, this might be another shining example of that...Great having 3000 of you race with us in Chattanooga. Look forward to seeing some of you in Muncie in a month or so.
Brian

Why not have the swim out at Chickamauga Dam??? You could arrange the bike course such that it ended downtown, and then the usual run. Don't know if you were in Chatt in the 80s and 90s but the original Chatt triathlon did exactly this from around 1982 or '83 through about 2005 or so. The race was approx Oly distance. We swam 1500 m in the lake above the dam, ran up the hill in the rec area to hop on our bikes, rode out to Sequoyah NP and back (25-30 mi, depending on where they set up the turnaround, which varied across the years), then ran down Amnicola Hwy to finish downtown (about 6.2 mi). No current at all above the dam. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Darren325 wrote:
Ironman has a swim problem. Big time. They cancel, cut and make it easy based on any pre-text they can imagine or conjure up. This sucks.

I think 90% of triathletes have a swim problem. Fix that, and we can have legit swims.

Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
The current was not strong on Sunday. There have been no heavy rains in the Chattanooga area as of late and the river has been pretty much "normal" for several weeks. All major rivers in the southern US are damn controlled so you cannot avoid that. TVA controls the current daily and if there have been no heavy rains they can bring the flow down so that you can barely notice any current. I am puzzled as to why they modified the swim yesterday.

-----
Thx this is what I was asking and looking for as to why they actually changed it.

There were heavy rains leading up to the week before the race and the volume from many miles upstream kept the current flowing pretty strong up to wednesday of race week. It started coming down thursday and friday, but was still running around 45,000-55,000 cfs. Sure they can manage it with the dam by opening or closing the gates. I saw that they had started closing down gates on saturday and saw it drop to 20,000cfs. Last I checked sunday morning it was down to 15,000 cfs, which is doable. What TVA cannot control is runoff from the tributaries feeding into the river. 2 years ago there was heavy rains the evening/night before the race and while TVA had the gates shut down, the runoff (surface water) was pushing the flow higher and they had to change the course. This year there was no rain leading up to the race, so my only guess is TVA couldn't lower the flow as much as the RD desired.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trigeekrusk wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
The current was not strong on Sunday. There have been no heavy rains in the Chattanooga area as of late and the river has been pretty much "normal" for several weeks. All major rivers in the southern US are damn controlled so you cannot avoid that. TVA controls the current daily and if there have been no heavy rains they can bring the flow down so that you can barely notice any current. I am puzzled as to why they modified the swim yesterday.

-----
Thx this is what I was asking and looking for as to why they actually changed it.

There were heavy rains leading up to the week before the race and the volume from many miles upstream kept the current flowing pretty strong up to wednesday of race week. It started coming down thursday and friday, but was still running around 45,000-55,000 cfs. Sure they can manage it with the dam by opening or closing the gates. I saw that they had started closing down gates on saturday and saw it drop to 20,000cfs. Last I checked sunday morning it was down to 15,000 cfs, which is doable. What TVA cannot control is runoff from the tributaries feeding into the river. 2 years ago there was heavy rains the evening/night before the race and while TVA had the gates shut down, the runoff (surface water) was pushing the flow higher and they had to change the course. This year there was no rain leading up to the race, so my only guess is TVA couldn't lower the flow as much as the RD desired.

I would really be curious what the flow rate was on race day. It sounded like RD made decision after the pros struggled or at least weren't as fast against the current as he would have liked. I really like the river swim. I think swimming under 3 bridges is nice and is pretty cool for the spectators. So I hope they can get an entry point a bit further upstream to allow for an all with current swim.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

If you’re Ironman and you know that every year there will be a large number of competitors that have to be pulled out from the water due to the swim course conditions, then the issue was one they created.

So it's IMs fault that some percentage of the athlete's are unprepared and cannot swim well enough to complete the course?

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I would place the blame solely on the athletes. Letting them suffer for their own lack of preparation sounds like the kind of race (life) experience they need.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it's IMs fault that some percentage of the athlete's are unprepared and cannot swim well enough to complete the course? //

Actually, yes it is. If you cancel or alter swims most years, then folks come to expect that. If you keep the swims hard, then folks will notice that too, and unprepared or just very slow swimmers will not even enter the event, moving onto something known to be easier. I think there are plenty of good enough swimmers to do the swim up and down river the way it was this year, but you have to show that your are serious about holding your swim first. And its not a safety issue, people will just realize that are not making any headway anymore, and they get to turn around and self rescue with the current, all at different times as to not overwhelm the volunteers...
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I talked to the guys in charge of the swim and, after they explained to me why they shortened the swim; splits were too long for the pros (not sure male or female) but they thought the splits were too long, they mentioned there is a spot they're looking at so they don't have to worry about shortening the swim. They said it was about .2 miles longer than 1.2 miles so I'm guessing this is the spot. Their concern is that people would be mad because they would have to swim longer than 1.2 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their concern is that people would be mad because they would have to swim longer than 1.2 miles. //

Why would people be mad to swim 1.4 if they go 3 to 5 minutes faster than normal?? IT is not distance swam, it is time spent in the water. I did a 1. 3 mile swim in 10 minutes once, pretty sure I was pissed about the "long swim"... (-;
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with the age group swim splits for Chatt 70.3? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said the same thing. Look I hate passing along he said she said type stuff, but what one poster said kinda confirmed what they were talking about. I'm be completely happy if they change the course. Kinda tired of one year swimming 24 minutes and another year swimming 16 minutes.

One person on my team swam 13 minutes (she swam at UT) and was initially disqualified because their system throws out outliers and that was definitely an outlier. lol
Quote Reply

Prev Next