Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clear odorless mineral spirits for chain cleaning - where do you buy it from?
Quote | Reply
I looked in my local Home Depot and Wal-Mart - they don't have it and don't seem to be making it available online... so where do you get it from? Or should I use a regular degreaser instead for chain cleaning in preparation for waxing?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Clear odorless mineral spirits for chain cleaning - where do you buy it from? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it at just about every hardware type store that I go in, including Walmart, ACE, Home Depot, Lowes, K-mart, etc. Even some grocery stores have it. But I guess this might change from area to area. Anyway, just use regular mineral spirits if they don't have the olderless. Regular is a bit stronger, which can be helpful if your drivetrain is really dirty and greasy. But both do an effective job of cleaning the drive train.
Quote Reply
Re: Clear odorless mineral spirits for chain cleaning - where do you buy it from? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Clear odorless mineral spirits for chain cleaning - where do you buy it from? [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thank you! My hd probably is out of stock...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazon has a 55 gallon barrel, it's not Prime eligible though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't the smell part of the fun? Sort of like when I build wheels and the smell of the loctite is like a little reward for a wheel well built!

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Clear odorless mineral spirits for chain cleaning - where do you buy it from? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
Isn't the smell part of the fun? Sort of like when I build wheels and the smell of the loctite is like a little reward for a wheel well built!

same with gluing tires!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was planning to soak my chain in gasoline then light it on fire after to clean.

Cheaper and more fun.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Home Depot or Lowes.

And it's not really odorless (I removed my gravel bike's chain Monday and let it soak in a coffee can of mineral spirits out in the garage overnight and yesterday, took it out of the can and scrubbed/rinsed it in the basement laundry sink last night - my wife smelled the spirits as soon as she walked in the house).
Quote Reply
Re: Clear odorless mineral spirits for chain cleaning - where do you buy it from? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:

I thought a well built wheel didn't need loctite?
Quote Reply
Re: Clear odorless mineral spirits for chain cleaning - where do you buy it from? [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fb wrote:
joshatsilca wrote:

I thought a well built wheel didn't need loctite?

I don't even know where I might put locktite when building a wheel...???? Surely, you wouldn't put loctite on the spoke/nipple interface.
Quote Reply
Re: Clear odorless mineral spirits for chain cleaning - where do you buy it from? [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe not loctite brand per se.. but even the most well built wheel needs something for a variety of reasons, resistance to vibration, sealing out moisture, preventing galvanic corrosion. Those claiming to not need loctite are using grease + nyloc insert style nipples which is essentially the same difference.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, ok.

I thought you were specifically referring to their thread locking products---which I couldn't fathom. I either use Spoke Prep or anti-seize (if I can't find where I carefully hid the Spoke Prep from myself).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE Hardware also carries it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I looked in my local Home Depot and Wal-Mart - they don't have it and don't seem to be making it available online... so where do you get it from? Or should I use a regular degreaser instead for chain cleaning in preparation for waxing?

Clear, odorless spirit is Vodka. I buy it at the liquor store.
Quote Reply
Re: Clear odorless mineral spirits for chain cleaning - where do you buy it from? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Home Depot or Lowes.

And it's not really odorless (I removed my gravel bike's chain Monday and let it soak in a coffee can of mineral spirits out in the garage overnight and yesterday, took it out of the can and scrubbed/rinsed it in the basement laundry sink last night - my wife smelled the spirits as soon as she walked in the house).

It is odorless in the same sense that vodka is tasteless. You can smell (taste) it but you can't really describe it other than solventy (burny). Neither are expected to smell (or taste) the same as water.
Quote Reply
Re: Clear odorless mineral spirits for chain cleaning - where do you buy it from? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Ah, ok.

I thought you were specifically referring to their thread locking products---which I couldn't fathom. I either use Spoke Prep or anti-seize (if I can't find where I carefully hid the Spoke Prep from myself).

I've seen thread lock used in wheels by people claiming to be reputable builders. They use it and extremely high spoke tension to mask their sloppy building, and claim it as a "feature".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guess I am just old school, still using Linseed Oil on spoke threads.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Clear odorless mineral spirits for chain cleaning - where do you buy it from? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It turns out that mineral spirits are banned in CA and UT - that's why I could not find them!

What's the adequate replacement for them - just any strong degreaser?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gas.
Quote Reply
Re: Clear odorless mineral spirits for chain cleaning - where do you buy it from? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use linseed oil too.
Quote Reply