Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacing Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick. Gp 4000s?
Quote | Reply
last year I bought my first tri bike. It’s a Fuji Norcom Straight. It came with Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick tires. 790x23.

I had a few pinch flats this year and I thought upgrading to a 700x25 tire might be in my best Interest. The consensus seems to be they will help improve ride quality as well. Also maybe help me avoid flats because I’m a bigger guy. The website claims they will fit up to a 28.

This morning I got a nice chunk of my sidewalk taken out by a broken piece of concrete that just jumped right out in front of me.

The rim is fine but it’s the end of the road for this tire.

The GP 4000 ii seems to be a popular choice.

Do they offer enough flat resistance to be an every day tire? Or should I go with a gator skin? I’m not going to change tires out between training and races.

I have gator skins on my road bike. They are bullet proof. I’m not sure I need such a tough tire on my tri bike.
Last edited by: jonp9576: May 27, 19 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick. Gp 4000s? [jonp9576] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonp9576 wrote:
I’m not going to change tires out between training and races.

Do you care about your race time? How many races do you do?

Latex tubes are hard to pinch flat, fyi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GP 4000 is a good all around tire. Going up to 25s will likely improve your ride quality as well.

I bought a cheap set of trainer wheels for my tri bike that I keep gatorskins on for outdoor riding. I keep my race wheels loaded up with Vittoria Corsa Open G+. It’s a good bit easier to swap wheels out than tires. That would keep you from having to switch tires out.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick. Gp 4000s? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
jonp9576 wrote:
I’m not going to change tires out between training and races.

Do you care about your race time? How many races do you do?

Latex tubes are hard to pinch flat, fyi.

I do mostly sprint and Olympic distance races. I’m also never close to a podium either. If we’re talking under a minute for an Olympic, I don’t really care. I have way more work do do on my engine before I need to look for places in my equipment t to shave time.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick. Gp 4000s? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
The GP 4000 is a good all around tire. Going up to 25s will likely improve your ride quality as well.

I bought a cheap set of trainer wheels for my tri bike that I keep gatorskins on for outdoor riding. I keep my race wheels loaded up with Vittoria Corsa Open G+. It’s a good bit easier to swap wheels out than tires. That would keep you from having to switch tires out.

Over the next year or two I plan to save for a set of nice wheels. At that point I’ll probably go with nice tires on them and gator skins for my trainers.

But for now I would like one all around setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes to GP 4000s. With the introductions of the 5000s, the price point is getting better too.

The 4000s not only have a lower rolling resistance ,that little bit of tread on the side of tire "trips" the air making the tire more aero while helping with cornering.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t see any reason to go GP4000 when you can do the 5000. It is just a better tire in just about every respect, except price. They are fast, durable and resist flats quite well. There are some slightly faster tires out there, but they will be more of a compromise in terms of durability and flat resistance.

Shame on you for riding Gatorskins. There really isn’t a slower tire out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go to GP5000
GP4000sII are good, but the GP5000 looks better unless you cant find them for a reasonable price.

I would advise that Gatorskins are a mistake, for most people, regardless of training or racing, summer or winter.
I average under 1 puncture per year on GP4000s and GP4000sII.
Try and identify the reason for your punctures.

I'd take them off the road bike too. Cycling should be enjoyable and Gatorskins detract from that IMO
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick. Gp 4000s? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I'd go to GP5000
GP4000sII are good, but the GP5000 looks better unless you cant find them for a reasonable price.

I would advise that Gatorskins are a mistake, for most people, regardless of training or racing, summer or winter.

I'd take them off the road bike too. Cycling should be enjoyable and Gatorskins detract from that IMO

I never really understood the emphasis on tire "feel" for training and didn't notice much difference in riding fun across tires, even when I racing on tubulars and training on clinchers with tire liners. I guess I'm not sensitive enough, or else to me riding is fun enough in general and doesn't require light tires to enjoy it. YMMV clearly.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick. Gp 4000s? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
I'd go to GP5000

I never really understood the emphasis on tire "feel" for training and didn't notice much difference in riding fun across tires, even when I racing on tubulars and training on clinchers with tire liners. I guess I'm not sensitive enough, or else to me riding is fun enough in general and doesn't require light tires to enjoy it. YMMV clearly.
I don't notice a significant difference between reasonable tyres. I have noticed a ride difference with gatorskins, and noticed no real puncture avoidance benefit. I also cover more ground on better tyres which is always nice, and lastly but outside the scope of your comment, I don't need a change for racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonp9576 wrote:
last year I bought my first tri bike. It’s a Fuji Norcom Straight. It came with Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick tires. 790x23.

I had a few pinch flats this year and I thought upgrading to a 700x25 tire might be in my best Interest. The consensus seems to be they will help improve ride quality as well. Also maybe help me avoid flats because I’m a bigger guy. The website claims they will fit up to a 28.

This morning I got a nice chunk of my sidewalk taken out by a broken piece of concrete that just jumped right out in front of me.

Do they offer enough flat resistance to be an every day tire? Or should I go with a gator skin? I’m not going to change tires out between training and races.

I have gator skins on my road bike. They are bullet proof. I’m not sure I need such a tough tire on my tri bike.

If you get a flat on Gatorskins you race may be well over as they are bastard tires to remove, they are also heavy and slow.

You could try Specialized S Works Turbo in 24mm or 26mm. Fast smooth, more feel than Conti GP4000S but maybe a less durable.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick. Gp 4000s? [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowboy7 wrote:
jonp9576 wrote:

If you get a flat on Gatorskins you race may be well over as they are bastard tires to remove, they are also heavy and slow.

You could try Specialized S Works Turbo in 24mm or 26mm. Fast smooth, more feel than Conti GP4000S but maybe a less durable.

Ya the Specialized tires are a good option. The Turbo Cotton is a reasonably durable tire that is also pretty darn good for racing. Specialized had no flats from the Bora and QuickStep rider at Roubaix this year. That is pretty impressive to go about 3000 total miles over cobble stones with no flats
Quote Reply