Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used a bike hard case with United many times. If you're using a soft case and it's under 50lbs you should only be charged $35. That said, EVER United airport interprets their policies differently, and even when having them printed in hand I end up in arguments.

For domestic on United I end up paying $100 each way (consistently) since the hard case weighs around 65lbs with bike and shit inside. I have MileagePlus Silver status which gives me a fee buffer for the weight between 50lbs and 70lbs. That means I only pay the "over sized" fee of $100 instead of over sized + overweight. Once I've had to pay $135 - cost of a checked bag + over size fee, but most of the time I've found if you pay the $100 ahead of time online when you check in online on United website, and the agent sees that you payed an over sized or over weight charge, they just push it through.

Again, every United agent interprets their rules different. But I've found that on every airline. The only exception has been Southwest, but even had a ton of issues with one agent when going to Texas in April - tried charging us $150 for each bike. So, no airline is clear enough apparently. Be prepared for a fight - always.

What I started doing is saving my United baggage receipts and have presented these in future arguments. With United, and other airlines, I've won "the fight" by being able to prove what I've paid for bike shipping in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
ZimZam wrote:
I just dropped mine of at bike shop.Shipped from Hurricane to Arlington. I'll let you know how it goes. Shipped to a friend, no idea of total yet.
In UT you dropped it off? I am over in Mesquite (well, I will be whenever I need my tri stuff), and just curious to where my options are for shipping from around there.
I used Over the Edgd in Hurrakin, not sure what's available in Mesquite.

Be Uncommon
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please change airlines. A few years back, I flew United to Boulder. On the way to Boulder they broke my wheel. I raced with patch up work. On the return flight they broke my frame plus a ton of components (separate thread on ST). I opened up the case at the airport and made an immediate complaint. United took responsibility and said they don’t pay jack for any bikes. They meant it and told me to take a hike. Livid and appalled, I complained to anyone I could with United. They don’t care. My insurance company, with a heart of gold, sued United for my bike and the bike (cracked frame) belonging to a Navy Seal. I will never put my bike on another United flight. I know people want to argue the baggage handlers are the same but I have had zero issues flying my bike several times (with TSA checks) on SWA and KLM. I am loving this new American Airlines fee change ... they are making a statement that they care about cyclists.

triguy86 wrote:
Yea I booked United a few weeks ago. I did purchase insurance so for $37 I can cancel my flights. Here’s my breakdown:

United: DIRECT flight both ways. $520.
-bike fees: $400 total.

AA: NOT DIRECT. $560.
-bike fees: $60 total.
-$37 I’ll have to pay to cancel my original United flights with the insurance.

If I fly with the bike I think 2 flights vs 4 would be ideal. But we will see.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: May 27, 19 1:23
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [desimis1877] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you getting around the bike fee on United?
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did a quote from 85701 to 48185
Trico Iron Case from their drop down menu, 48 lbs

$116 one way
If I enter the same dimensions manually 47,11,31 I get $96.95
$20 difference entering the same dimensions. Something not right there.

Shipbikes.com with same case 48 lbs
$67.61
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that for just the shipping only. Do you buy the insurance?
Quote Reply

Prev Next