Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees
Quote | Reply
Flying with a bike for the first time to 70.3 Boulder in August. I’m using a buddy’s scicon soft case for travel. On United there will be $400 in total bike fees. Looking at Bikeflights they’re quoting me $86 each way for 3 day shipping. Bike would arrive in Boulder 2 days before the race when I arrive. Never used bike flights. Reliable?
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are effectively FedEx Ground service - pretty rough when they load/unload between transit points. I would only do it with hard case. The last time I used a software case (Biknd Helium) they did a job on it and it's got some rips. Since then I switched to a hard Bike Box Alan case and never had issues. The box is no longer pretty, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What city do you live in?
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Little Rock, AR. There is no tri bike transport option in our state if that’s what you’re getting at.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t be opposed to buying a hardshell cardboard shipping box from bike flights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think bike flights is out and ship bikes is in based on recent threads on ST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bikeflights uses UPS now. I have used them 2 - 3 times for bikes that I have sold and purchased. Each time the bikes have been shipped in a manufacturer's cardboard box and packaged similar to when they are shipped new. I have not had any problems with them. You LBS may have a solid cardboard bike box you could get from them - may have to call and ask them to save you one - if you're not ready to buy a case. I have the Premier Tactical hard case and it works great as well; for the Tactical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Bike Flights has raised fees on the switch to UPS- if you fly American they have recently announced only $25 for normal checked baggage for bikes... so $50 total :-)

Something to consider perhaps.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never flown with a bike before. I've always used bikeflights and shipped to a relative's house, then assembled the bike at their house. I use a cardboard box. As long as you pack your bike carefully and use lots of cut up pool noodles and tape, you can pretty much ensure the bike will arrive safe and sound. Totally worth it over potentially losing a bike or the bike being damaged by tsa or airline baggage handlers.

However, now with AA charging $30 bucks each way, unless AA flights are way more expensive than southwest or spirit, I'll probably fly with my bike on AA. It was significantly cheaper to do bikeflights before but more of a hassle. Now the delta is much less, if anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I booked United a few weeks ago. I did purchase insurance so for $37 I can cancel my flights. Here’s my breakdown:

United: DIRECT flight both ways. $520.
-bike fees: $400 total.

AA: NOT DIRECT. $560.
-bike fees: $60 total.
-$37 I’ll have to pay to cancel my original United flights with the insurance.

If I fly with the bike I think 2 flights vs 4 would be ideal. But we will see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Southwest probably doesn't have a direct flight either, but it is $75 each way, and the gate people always seem to know what they're doing when you show up with a bike in a case. I've always been happy with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like bikeflights doubled their prices lately. I started using Shipbikes.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Flying with a bike for the first time to 70.3 Boulder in August. I’m using a buddy’s scicon soft case for travel. On United there will be $400 in total bike fees. Looking at Bikeflights they’re quoting me $86 each way for 3 day shipping. Bike would arrive in Boulder 2 days before the race when I arrive. Never used bike flights. Reliable?

American Airlines just made your decision for you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really. Less fees but worse flights that require connections.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [davetopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I researched flights for a while. Southwest (which I love) didn’t have very good options for me. Would have gotten back at like 11 PM and then be on call the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used BikeFlights to ship my bike from Detroit to Dallas. My bike was waiting in Dallas, as expected. I would use them again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used shipbikes.com from Tuscon to HIgh Point NC recently.
I was going to be gone from home for almost 2 weeks and my case weighed 68 then 71 pounds. It was $77 to ship in both directions.

The weird thing was in each direction I was told it would be delivered on X date. I checked 2d after shipping to see where the case was, still had an X date, in this case Friday delivery. Come home on Thursday afternoon from running errands and my case is by my carport door.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you have reservations about shipping via that method for a race? I’ll arrive in boulder on Thursday for the Saturday race.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In March I tried to use bikeflights to ship my bike from Tuscon to Detroit area and they wanted $130 one way. Wonder why mine was so much more.

Ironcase at 48 lbs
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a certain threshold on dimensions where it jumps up considerably. I'm not sure about weight. I've got a few bike boxes in the basement and the last bike I shipped I ended up using a Liv box bc it was a few inches smaller (I think width mostly). That 1 or 2 inches, whatever it was, ended up being about $80 less than a larger box. I think if you go to UPS.com they may have a guideline for total package dimensions. So you add L, W, and H and if that's below a certain number it is considered a "standard" package and is less $$.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [Bigbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand what you are saying and I know there may be a threshold for sizes but:

I have shipped that case all over the US before with BF when they used FedEx. I know it's a common case, I just see no reason to double the price.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just dropped mine of at bike shop.Shipped from Hurricane to Arlington. I'll let you know how it goes. Shipped to a friend, no idea of total yet.

Be Uncommon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Would you have reservations about shipping via that method for a race? I’ll arrive in boulder on Thursday for the Saturday race.

No reservations about shipping it for a race whatsoever. Have done it multiple times, this trip included.

For the most part I'd rather ship my bike domestically than fly with it. I probably ship it 5 to 1 vs flying with it. Use a premier tactical case. Throw all my race & training crap in the case.

Still waiting to see what happens with everyone on American as it's the airline I tend to fly the most. Maybe my thoughts will change.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, I know UPS is more $ vs FedEX but that's nuts.

Even when I've used bikeflights I've never paid >$70. Usually when I go back east I'm staying for 12d -5 mo and the case is loaded up with training & racing crap. I've shipped 2 bikes in standard cardboard bike boxes for only about $140.

Did you check to see if you transposed some #'s when you entered dimensions or weight?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Using Bikeflights as alternative to airline bike fees [ZimZam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZimZam wrote:
I just dropped mine of at bike shop.Shipped from Hurricane to Arlington. I'll let you know how it goes. Shipped to a friend, no idea of total yet.
In UT you dropped it off? I am over in Mesquite (well, I will be whenever I need my tri stuff), and just curious to where my options are for shipping from around there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next