Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
Is that for the "normal" or "lightweight" variant?

As I understand from the website, the lightweight, or "S" variant is ONLY intended for spare use...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got two Tubolito tubes in the 650b wheels for my gravel bike. So far no flats but... that doesn't really mean anything. No crr data either, sorry.

I also have two of the "tubo road" tubes for a spare for my TT bike and they are TINY and weigh nothing. That is, honestly probably the best use for it. Two tubes, a multi-tool, two CO2s, and inflator fit in the draft box of my Speed Concept with tons of room to spare. Thinking about making a foam cutout of some sort to organize all of it. Right now I just stuff a pair of socks in there to keep it all from rattling.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just looked at the website and it now says "disc brake only"
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, the S-version at 23gr is denoted "disc brake only"
the normal one (38 gr) is ok for rim brakes. i am using the latter since a year now and no issues so far. no flat yet. seems to hold air better then a light butyl
cannot comment on RR but does not "feel" different then a thin butyl.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From real world riding experience, they provide no better or worse puncture protection than normal butyl tubes. I don't use them personally, but guys in my riding / training group have punctured them on a few occasions. Both the small wire / glass type punctures and a pinch flat. Given their cost, no way I would buy them for their puncture resistance claims and regarding the rolling res. data that has come out which shows they are only marginally faster than butyl.

The only benefit I see in them, as others have said, is to have it in a flat kit due to their size. Race with latex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I'm seeing, the S-tubo is very comparable to latex tubes, unless I'm missing something?
https://www.tubolito.com/...-resistance-Road.jpg

Thinking about ordering one myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [Terrordact] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 2 on my gravel bike. No complaints here and the room they save in my bag is great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, someone mentioned the cores are removable, but on their website it says cores are glued in place and non removable. I have Zipp extenders, so I need to remove cores with them. Any one have further insight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the first data I've seen. Kind of what I expected to be honest: rolling resistance similar to or slightly less than light butyl (when you compare apples to apples, the S-tubo is really only meant to be a spare)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
That's the first data I've seen. Kind of what I expected to be honest: rolling resistance similar to or slightly less than light butyl (when you compare apples to apples, the S-tubo is really only meant to be a spare)

I also did eventually test a regular Tubo Road myself a while back, and it had terrible CRR - an increase of about 0.001 over latex (~10 watts for 2 tires at 25mph). I can't really see a use for them myself, but I suppose they do let you carry two tubes in the space of one, so if you want to be able to change two flats and don't want to make more room then maybe? They *look* pretty fragile though, so not sure there's a real use case for them. They're also ridiculously expensive and AFAIK can't be patched.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a tubolito-specific patch kit that they sell. Honestly, the material itself seems pretty damn tough IMO. As you and others have said, the best application is saving space and weight in your flat kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I emailed them about the S-tubo being a spare only. This is what I got back, "thanks for approaching us and your interest in our tubes.
Basically you can also use S-Tubo-Road as your daily tube. While Tubo-Road is twice as robust against punctures as standard tubes, S-Tubo-Road is still as robust as standard tubes. To see how we test that you can watch following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5YuWHzVxSI

I hope that answer helps.

Please do not hesitate to come back to me with any questions."

So seeing as the S-tubo can be used as an every day tube, and the rolling resistance, particularly at lower pressures, is in line with latex, does that change your opinion? From what I'm seeing, the cost is the only downside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see that puncture test with latex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you come across that data, if you don't mind me asking?

Seriously, don't take me too seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edit: I went ahead an ordered a couple to use as backups.

Any updated thoughts on these tubes? They look pretty good for space savings in a draft box. Looks like I could put 3 of these in the box.
I've read that the 80mm stem can leak at the extension. Any feedback is helpful.
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Jun 1, 20 12:47
Quote Reply

Prev Next