Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubular gluing - has anyone tried this 'hybrid' method?
Quote | Reply
Hopefully this won't turn into a discussion on the merit of tubs vs clinchers, or that gluing is the only way ahead. So, I know that adhesion hysteresis is historically the reason that glue gives better Crr over tape i.e. it provides a more uniform & constant adhesion. So the theory goes. Now for Tri removing a well glued tyre can be a nightmare, so what to do. Historically I've used Jantex 76 ‘alloy’ tape on Zipp rims, and I’ve had good results in all weathers; it's certainly a lot thinner than the old white stuff.

I’m considering a ‘hybrid’ method. Get the tape on the rim, and really make sure it’s 100% adhered, heat it with a hair dryer, and then inflate a tub on it, leave for a day or two to 'cure' (backing tape on). Then apply a very thin layer or two of glue to the tyre (Mastic Pro) then mount, hoping the glue will have flex to conform & give that 100% uniform bond throughout to reduce adhesion hysteresis losses....but you still have the tape against the wheel if you need to get it off in a hurry.

What do you think?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular gluing - has anyone tried this 'hybrid' method? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clinchers

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular gluing - has anyone tried this 'hybrid' method? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably worse. You’re hoping the tape attaches to the glue stronger than the tape to the tire directly. At the end of the day you still have tape.

It’s not hard to change a tubular. Just carry a razor blade. But yes clinchers are where it’s at because you still have to carry a spare. You’re going to lose more in drag from the spare than what it’s worth.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular gluing - has anyone tried this 'hybrid' method? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spares are in a Draft Box, so that's not a factor.

I'm fully aware of how great carbon clinchers are, I have an Endurace SLX. What I'm not going to do is splash-out on a set of rim brake carbon clincher wheels, when longer term I'll get disc brake TT bike. Insert appropriate emoji.

Eric - I will kill you last.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think it’ll help as much as you think. I glue all my CX tubulars the “Belgian way”, which involves glue, tape and then glue again. Not the same method you’ve described... but when the glue and the tape combine they become incredibly strong and the glue seeps through and permeates the tape. Makes Tim cleaning even harder. Bonus - amazingly reliable connection of the tire, so rolling a tubular at 22psi on a cross bike doesn’t happen.

Re: Tubular gluing - has anyone tried this 'hybrid' method? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
I don’t think it’ll help as much as you think. I glue all my CX tubulars the “Belgian way”, which involves glue, tape and then glue again. Not the same method you’ve described... but when the glue and the tape combine they become incredibly strong and the glue seeps through and permeates the tape. Makes Tim cleaning even harder. Bonus - amazingly reliable connection of the tire, so rolling a tubular at 22psi on a cross bike doesn’t happen.

Was thinking the same thing. You're probably better off just glueing the tire as normal and maybe throw some orange seal in there. That will cover just about anything other than a huge puncture. I've saved some race tubulars by finding the leak then putting 15-20g of sealant in and rotating the tire to the spot and inflating. Sure beats the old thread and needle method.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular gluing - has anyone tried this 'hybrid' method? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
clinchers

If I had $2500 for wheels, sure. Hyperbole, but you get the idea.

Not everyone can afford hyper aero stuff in modern widths.

At least with a tub you can still get a 22, 21, 19 mm tire. Legit ones too, the more durable track tire in a Vittoria is essentially a narrower Corsa Speed with the "tread" on only the banked side of the tire.

Find me a modern good CRR clincher under 23mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Now for Tri removing a well glued tyre can be a nightmare, so what to do.

Just glue it properly. A tire with a proper glue job is not a nightmare to remove by any stretch.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular gluing - has anyone tried this 'hybrid' method? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An alternative to the razor blade that I have heard about, although never tried, is to leave a short section unglued, so you can start peeling the tire off at that point. Should be short enough to hold on while riding, while long enough to enable you to remove the tire.

salmon - not because I'm a fish
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular gluing - has anyone tried this 'hybrid' method? [salmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not gluing a small section of the tire makes it slower.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular gluing - has anyone tried this 'hybrid' method? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But ironically the spoke holes aren't glued anyway and that surface area adds up. Which is something that tape does do.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have glued a lot of cyclocross tires with a similar method. They stay on very well but can be quite challenging to remove and getting the rim back into a state to accept a new tire can be a lot of work because the tape stays adhered to the rim in random chunks. I think that would be the worst of both worlds for your proposed application.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular gluing - has anyone tried this 'hybrid' method? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

Find me a modern good CRR clincher under 23mm.

Can't say too much about the new wheel problem, but tires? They're out there:
https://m.probikekit.com/...BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular gluing - has anyone tried this 'hybrid' method? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if you just glue on and leave a space at the opposite of the stem (180 degrees away so you have an easy reference) just enough to put your finger in to rip off a flat??? or just tape it 180 degrees so its easier to grap and rip??
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular gluing - has anyone tried this 'hybrid' method? [Aloha53d1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glue it properly and carry a razor blade.
Quote Reply