Re: Most Famous person you have met [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Jansen. Super nice.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by coyote pelon [ In reply to ]
Re: Most Famous person you have met [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coyote pelon wrote:
Hmmmmmmm, tough ST crowd, that was suppose to be a joke.

And another 2 points for poor execution 2 for lack of originality and 5 for making a weak excuse
Quote Reply
Re: Most Famous person you have met [Brandon_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In HS I went with a group to DC for some kind of leadership conference thing. We met Jesse Helms in his office. The old crazy dude was a hoot in person, actually very personable. He was chairing some kind of report release on some of the pre-Sept 11th stuff to the press and other stuff and got us nice seats. "C'mon, let's get these kids some nice seats at my meeting!". Before the meeting he told us he had a special guest coming to the report release to read/testify and he wanted us to meet him. Colin Powell.

I lost it over the years, but the report they distributed to everyone at the meeting (public/press) basically detailed issues and clues of bad stuff leading up to the terrorist folks who did 911. Kind of eerie after the fact to have heard that stuff.

Same day we very briefly met that POS John Edwards. If I had an inkling what kind of trash he was I would have scrubbed my hand after shaking his. Even then, before all the affair stuff (while his wife had cancer) he had this douche aura about him. Shoot, I felt I liked Jesse better in the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several years ago I was at a bar and Steve Nash was pissing beside me. This was when he was maybe a year or two removed from his MVP seasons.

I waited until we were both out but chatted with him a bit. Nice guy. Definitely not 6'3".

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to a Falcons/Patriots game a couple years ago and was in the owners box. Jim Carrey was there but elusive so I didn't really meet him, but Jimmy Carter and I sat next to each other for the last 5 minutes of the game when the Patriots had turned it in to a route and everyone else was gone.

Lance Armstrong did a splash and dash and I swam on his toes for 500m or so. I hit his feet a few times and thought, man I hope he doesn't try to kick me.

If JJ Watt saw me in an airport in London he would know I am the guy who is always out running in the neighborhood. But if he stopped and said hello it would be the first time he has done anything but nod.

My cousin dated Rene Zellweger in the mid 90's when she was famous-ish but before Jerry McGuire.

Derek Jeter dated my college swim coach's daughter. He came to a practice on our winter training trip and made a fool of himself trying to win her back with flowers. He got called up to the Yankees 8 months later. Whoops.

Lastly there is a comedian named Matthew Broussard who has been on Conan and Fallon, and comedy Central on various shows. He was a Houston area triathlete. He isn't quite famous yet, but I really suspect he will be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never really met anyone that famous, but do have a bit of a funny story. I was a huge NBA fan in middle school. My family was in Atlanta visiting my grandfather, and we ended up going to 6 flags. My dad ended up in a snack line right behind Atlanta Hawks center John Konkak. My dad was about 6'2", and this guy was a full foot taller than him.

When he pointed it out, I said, "Are you sure?"

My dad responded, "Well, we're in Atlanta, he's over 7 feet tall, and he looks like John Konkak. I'm pretty sure its him," as if there was the off chance that there's another freakishly tall, young, athletic looking guy who looks like him and happens to be in Atlanta.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 30 years ago, I met Muhammed Ali at a business meeting I attended. Later, he taught me a magic trick.

Probably 12 years ago, I met A.J. Foyt at the Kentucky Derby. I took a selfie with him and got his autograph. He asked if I wanted anything to eat, and let me graze on the buffet he had set-up in his private box. A very friendly guy.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Re: Most Famous person you have met [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Dan Jansen. Super nice.

Believe it or not, but Danny Jansen (the speedskater, not the pro baseball player) was the shortstop on my Little League team in West Allis, WI. We were the "Watson's Brewers", sponsored by Watson's Bike Shop :-)

edit: Now, I know the OP said if you went to HS or college with them, that doesn't count...but, I knew him in grade school (also attended the same high school. He was 2 years younger, but his older brother Mike was in my class) :-P

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: May 21, 19 17:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Not just a handshake but at the minimum a conversation. Also excluding people you went to HS or college with.

I would have to say...RChung. I've even been over to his house for dinner ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Most Famous person you have met [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
windywave wrote:
Not just a handshake but at the minimum a conversation. Also excluding people you went to HS or college with.

I spent about 8 hours with Len Brownlee at UW wind tunnel. Super nice guy.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Most Famous person you have met [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
windywave wrote:

I spent about 8 hours with Len Brownlee at UW wind tunnel. Super nice guy.

Maurice

Also, Mark Cote introduced me to Chet Kyle at Interbike a few years back...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was at a small party, 30-ish guests with Kevin Costner and Bill Russell. Had a great conversation with Costner. Russell kept to himself by playing Bocce the whole time.

Met Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen several years ago at the Tour. Al Trautwig was there too, but not nearly as generous with his time as Phil & Paul.

I've met George Hincapie a few times and done a few small group rides with him. (I know. Other forum with this stuff)

I met Mario Andretti a few weeks ago at a dinner in Long Beach.

Roger Penske borrowed our golf cart at a race a few weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Famous person you have met [go so slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ridden with Mark Cavendish (he came to our ride, it wasn't me on a team promotional ride).

Ridden with Bill Walton. (huge bike)

Sat on a plane next to Tony Gwynn (coach!).
Quote Reply
Re: Most Famous person you have met [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atkid wrote:
You do realize he said "Brett" Lindros who played 2 seasons for the Islanders, i.e. not Eric!
I played just 51 games fewer than Brett in the NHL ;-p

@Kid

Back when they were both playing one of my friends was a big Islanders fan and I was an Eric Lindros fan. We both had Lindros jerseys. Anyway, we (in our jerseys) went to a bar to watch the Islanders play the Flyers and Carl Lindros (their father, somewhat famous at the time as he was their agent) was sitting at a table behind us. He came over and sat with us to watch the game as he was by himself and found us amusing.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kiefer Sutherland
Jane Seymour
Pamela Anderson
Tommy Lee
Billy Corgan
Bryan Clay (Olympic gold, and silver medal decathlete)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been following this thread for a couple of days and then came across this on another website. It's a pretty fascinating research abstract on "fame". It interviews a number of famous people and gives their take on fame.

My take, not for me...

https://www.researchgate.net/...henomenology_of_Fame
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I almost met Arnold Schwartzenegger once, but the security guard hauled me away after I drop-kicked him...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Most Famous person you have met [DTC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DTC wrote:
I've been following this thread for a couple of days and then came across this on another website. It's a pretty fascinating research abstract on "fame". It interviews a number of famous people and gives their take on fame.

My take, not for me...

Damn. That article takes all the fun out of being famous.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Most Famous person you have met [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Met George Hincapie and Jimmie Johnson at the Assault on Mount Mitchell last year. Hincapie even gave me and a few others a tow back to the front of the peleton after stopping for a quick bottle fill over Bill's Mountain. Both were really nice, down to Earth guys who like riding bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Played basketball with Mark Wahlberg and went to a cookout at Donnie Wahlberg's Moms house (he was present and Jordan Knight). It helped that my best friend in high school lived across the street from their Mom. This was back in the 90s.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Famous person you have met [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
DTC wrote:

My take, not for me...

Damn. That article takes all the fun out of being famous.

Not that I ever wanted to be famous, but yeah.
Quote Reply

Prev Next