Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Spare tubular tire to carry during a race
Quote | Reply
I'm currently using tubular Bontrager Aeolus 5 wheels, tubular version, on my Speed Concept.

Honestly, the relation I have with these wheels is the "love-hate" type. I absolutely love riding with them, they are confortable, feels very light, are decently aero. But… They are tubular.

I had a flat during a GranFondo, and fortunately, I was carrying a spare used tubular tire with me. I certainly prefer to change the tube in a clincher wheel, but changing a tubular can be done...

But… Can you suggest a model of tubular tire that would be light, and easy enough to fold to carry in my draft box, and this tire must also be easy to install (I do not have a spare wheel to pre-stretch the tire…)

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tubular tire to carry during a race [madmax231] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
madmax231 wrote:
I'm currently using tubular Bontrager Aeolus 5 wheels, tubular version, on my Speed Concept.

Honestly, the relation I have with these wheels is the "love-hate" type. I absolutely love riding with them, they are confortable, feels very light, are decently aero. But… They are tubular.

I had a flat during a GranFondo, and fortunately, I was carrying a spare used tubular tire with me. I certainly prefer to change the tube in a clincher wheel, but changing a tubular can be done...

But… Can you suggest a model of tubular tire that would be light, and easy enough to fold to carry in my draft box, and this tire must also be easy to install (I do not have a spare wheel to pre-stretch the tire…)

Thank you!

What tyres are you using?

You must be the only person riding tubulars that actually prefers to change a clincher! That's one of the main reasons I ride tubular, because of the ease of changing a flat. I flatted twice last season and changed them in 2 minutes. I also did a video at home of me changing a tubular and did it in 46s. If you're having problems removing them because of the glue, carry a razor blade. If you are having a nightmare getting one on (like I do with my Conti Comps) then use something like a Corsa Speed, only as a spare though. They will go on very easily. But I wouldn't recommend these for long course racing, unless the roads are spotless.

I used to race Corsa Speeds, but I flatted a few times on those. They are lightweight and supple so I now carry one as a spare, they easily fold up into a small storage bottle, unlike most other tubs which are a PITA. Some people use Tufo track tyres as spares, they're ultra light.
Last edited by: zedzded: May 22, 19 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could use any tire, but for something compact these track tubulars are a nice spare. Glue it on a spare rim with a light coat of cement and inflate it, then remove it the next day and fold it up. It will be nicely stretched and have some glue residue.

https://worldclasscycles.com/...ct/tufo-elite-track/

Tubulars are fast to change, just don't glue the crap out of them. When you mount the tire, put the valve at 12 o clock and set the rim on the ground, when you have it mounted as far as 3 and 9, grab it and give it a good hard stretch downward, then it will go right on. I train on tubulars, they are easy to swap out on the road. You might want to run liquid sealant in your tires too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tubular tire to carry during a race [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer riding with tubulars… But I'm just more comfortable fixing a clincher!

I bought the wheels used, with brand new Corsa CX tires. Flatted the rear during a training session, but the sealant did its job. Replaced it with a GP4000, flatted during an event, but neither the sealant already in the tire, nor the sealant I was carrying, fixed the problem. I had such a hard time removing the tire… (I will carry a razor blade from now on, thank you for the tip). I'm now riding a Gatorskin in the back (don't like it, but it's durable)….

I'm using tubular tape. When I removed the tire during my mishap, most of the tape remained on the wheel, so the spare tire was securely held in place.

Thank you for the tire suggestions!

Thomas, I'm unable to open the link you provided.
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tubular tire to carry during a race [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A tubular tire needs to be glued very well or they will be slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
, grab it and give it a good hard stretch downward, then it will go right on. .

You don't even need to do that with Corsa Speeds, you could pull it on with one finger.
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tubular tire to carry during a race [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't find the tufo elite jet 120 only the 160. Do they still make the 120?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
madmax231 wrote:
I prefer riding with tubulars… But I'm just more comfortable fixing a clincher!

I bought the wheels used, with brand new Corsa CX tires. Flatted the rear during a training session, but the sealant did its job. Replaced it with a GP4000, flatted during an event, but neither the sealant already in the tire, nor the sealant I was carrying, fixed the problem. I had such a hard time removing the tire… (I will carry a razor blade from now on, thank you for the tip). I'm now riding a Gatorskin in the back (don't like it, but it's durable)….

I'm using tubular tape. When I removed the tire during my mishap, most of the tape remained on the wheel, so the spare tire was securely held in place.

Thank you for the tire suggestions!

Thomas, I'm unable to open the link you provided.

I used to use tape, now use glue. I use Mastik Pro, so you can glue it in 1 hour as opposed to 3 days. To be honest I haven't noticed any performance difference between tape and glue, I'd be happy using either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatorskins are slow.

Glue tape is slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get yourself a track tubular if you want light and folds up small. If you have to use it they have low puncture resistance but it is better than nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see Corsa Speed G+, Corsa Speed G2.0... Are they all as easy to install and as easy to carry/fold?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used tape for a while but had the same issue. You are better off with a couple of thin coats of decent glue on the rim and a coat on the basetape, just thin is fine for the road, Let it dry before assembly. Clean those carbon rims with acetone and sandpaper the first time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
madmax231 wrote:
I see Corsa Speed G+, Corsa Speed G2.0... Are they all as easy to install and as easy to carry/fold?

Yup.

This is me putting on a Corsa Speed G+. You can see how easily it goes on. Excuse the outfit!

Last edited by: zedzded: May 22, 19 19:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Corsa Speed G+
Very easy on and off, and fold up into less than a third the space of either my shwalbe or conti tubs.

I have also found Conti's to be a prick to mount and unmount on rims. Either make sure you have a blade to cut them off when racing, or swap to something in between the speed/toughness equation (The Shwalbe One's are good, but no latex does slow them a little, but they are still significantly faster than your gatorskin).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also use a Tufo track tubular as a spare (the Elite 135 model). It folds up small enough to fit between the saddle rails of my Dash Stage, and I've just taped it in place with a bit of electrical insulating tape. Thankfully never had to use during a race, but it worked fine when out on a training ride once to get me home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an old Tufo S3 Lite; it fits in a Gen 1 draft box with inflator & 2 CO2 cartridges, plus a spare extender and valve wrench.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
madmax231 wrote:

Yup.

This is me putting on a Corsa Speed G+. You can see how easily it goes on. Excuse the outfit!

Whoa.
Is that safe to ride on? I come from a bike racing perspective, and with hard cornering I always wanted my tires much more tight to the rim.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tubular tire to carry during a race [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
madmax231 wrote:

Yup.

Whoa.
Is that safe to ride on? I come from a bike racing perspective, and with hard cornering I always wanted my tires much more tight to the rim.

The air pressure keeps in on ok, you have to ease up on turns to avoid rolling it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure your spare has a butyl tube. The Tufo Jet was my preferred as TG said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
madmax231 wrote:

Yup.

Whoa.

The air pressure keeps in on ok, you have to ease up on turns to avoid rolling it

Sorry to not be clear - I meant the tire even before you changed it.

I'm used to being careful in turns after changing a tire (trained on tubulars way back in the day) but the tire you removed seemed not well-attached at all to me. Could you corner hard on that one?

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question, I don't see a lot of tri riders turning like GP moto on those TT bikes, so maybe a little glue gets the job done, plus many are riding 10 jillion PSI.

I do a real slipshod job on the tires I train on, they seem to hold fine but I no longer race crits, if I did I would do a better job.

For cyclocross, I have rolled all sorts of tubulars over the years.

I never understand the idea of using a razor to remove a nice tire. My tubular tire tree in the back yard only produces Giros, maybe it needs pruning. I send the good ones to Tirealert for repair
Last edited by: jroden: May 23, 19 4:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
jroden wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
madmax231 wrote:

Yup.

Whoa.

Sorry to not be clear - I meant the tire even before you changed it.

I'm used to being careful in turns after changing a tire (trained on tubulars way back in the day) but the tire you removed seemed not well-attached at all to me. Could you corner hard on that one?

Yeah that was a taped tyre. I use glue now, but never had any issues with taped tyres. That said none of my triathlons have involved high speed, aggressive cornering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a razor to remove tires because they are glued on really well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found a 19mm Continental Competition folds up rather nicely.
Quote Reply

Prev Next