Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro seems to have had a revelation.
Quote | Reply
 It took a few years but there you go...
Jimmy- “Without question our data tells us our fans do not want us to cover politics.”

Tell us Jimmy why the flip? Was it...

"You needed to convene something to do a tabulation that deliver some data?
Was it the 15 million lost subscribers? Was that the “data?”
How about the endless complaints across social media, the editorials…?
Maybe the layoffs? Those massive layoffs — were the layoffs the data, Jimmy?
Perhaps it was the ratings crash?
Consumer sentiment?

What ESPN preached 2017:
"So many of you write in every time we say something that you disagree with politically, even though we don’t talk politics around here. We talk race, we talk about cultural issues — we don’t talk politics. So many of you write in, ‘That’s why ESPN is losing subscribers, because of its liberal leanings.’ It’s just a basic misunderstanding of what is happening with ESPN that confirms to your biases. That is not why ESPN is losing subscribers at all. ESPN is losing subscribers because in 2017, all of the technology has changed and 99 million of you have been paying for something that 98 million of you may not be using at any given time. It’s not about the politics of the company. The company doesn’t have politics."

https://www.breitbart.com/...s-to-cover-politics/
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro seems to have had a revelation. [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
“Without question our data tells us our fans do not want us to cover politics.”

Fucking sky is blue and grass is green
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro seems to have had a revelation. [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good read. If they could also get rid of the crime blogger that would be nice of just keep it on espn news.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ESPN has other problems too. Obviously their political BS is a major issue, but their "talent" are a bunch of self-absorbed, self-impressed hacks. They aren't comedians, even though they think they are. I watch live sports on that channel, and that's it. And I used to really enjoy ESPN, now I can't get through SC, college game day, any of it. I remember Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann (love him or hate him) and their show was good. It was unique, they are both incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable, and it was the only crew like it on the channel. Then everyone tried to follow suit, and it has shown to be an abject failure.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro seems to have had a revelation. [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but their "talent" are a bunch of self-absorbed, self-impressed hacks. They aren't comedians, even though they think they are.

I've been trying to articulate why I don't like watching sports the majority of the time. Most announcers fit the bill you described.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember when ESPN was also the place to watch sports other than the big four (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL). Back in the 80's I learned more about popular sports in other countries than the last 30 years combined.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro seems to have had a revelation. [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
but their "talent" are a bunch of self-absorbed, self-impressed hacks. They aren't comedians, even though they think they are.

I've been trying to articulate why I don't like watching sports the majority of the time. Most announcers fit the bill you described.

Drives me positively batty when they miss plays or make it a tiny PIP, so they can cut away to the announcers chatting about some random subject.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are synergies between the motivations people are discussing here. I think many people in ESPN's primary demographic watched way too much meaningless sports coverage. Sometimes it takes clumsy political propaganda, spoon fed to you like you're an idiot, to help bring the idea home. (Not in all cases, but sometimes.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We use to watch sports with our friends and family, whom have different political views. We can't watch sports in a friendly gathering because ESPN spout out politics. Instead of it being a communal social events - it becomes bitter, so we no longer have social gatherings to watch sports.

Know your audience!~
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro seems to have had a revelation. [BreadPudding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BreadPudding wrote:
We use to watch sports with our friends and family, whom have different political views. We can't watch sports in a friendly gathering because ESPN spout out politics. Instead of it being a communal social events - it becomes bitter, so we no longer have social gatherings to watch sports.

Know your audience!~

Can you share an instance when this happened?

I'm curious what ESPN spouted out that triggered your communal social event?

Hold on, you're not a Commie, are you?
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro seems to have had a revelation. [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to assume there were arguments in some households about standing for the flag by people sitting on their couch in their living rooms eating chips while the national anthem played.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro seems to have had a revelation. [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm centered left. Some are very left leaning and my relatives are very right leaning. We tend not to talk about politics during holiday gatherings because of the wide opinions on views on guns, immigration, and the president. But when we have espn on - commentators (though very rarely) and athletes interviewers would disparagement talk about the president - which would ignite my right leaning relatives, which would ignite my left leaning relatives. Being that they stay over - we would have First Take on and Max Kellerman would, sometimes, make a comment about the president's policy. Which would ignite my left leaning relatives and then ignite my right leaning cousins.
Last edited by: BreadPudding: May 22, 19 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro seems to have had a revelation. [BreadPudding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BreadPudding wrote:
I'm centered left. Some are very left leaning and my relatives are very right leaning. We tend not to talk about politics during holiday gatherings because of the wide opinions on views on guns, immigration, and the president. But when we have espn on - commentators (though very rarely) and athletes interviewers would disparagement talk about the president - which would ignite my right leaning relatives, which would ignite my left leaning relatives. Being that they stay over - we would have First Take on and Max Kellerman would, sometimes, make a comment about the president's policy. Which would ignite my left leaning relatives and then ignite my right leaning cousins.

Got it. Thought you were talking about actual sports, not sports talk.

The President inserted himself into the sports discussion, not sure that's ESPN's fault.

ESPN certainly waded heavily into the social commentary by their own volition, but the President's dumb ass comments related to sports were sort of hard to ignore.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro seems to have had a revelation. [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dead on bro! Well put!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They rolled out SC6 to get what demographic I don't know...but it was the worst version I've ever seen of Sportscenter. Jemele and Michael were both great writers, but as they got greater roles they both went wayyyyyy off the rails and it just tanks their ratings.

The vast majority of people who watch 6 o'clock sportscenter are working class Americans of many races that just want the damned highlights, not bullshit, whether that is on the treadmill at the gym or on the couch with a beer.

And then, Jon Skipper either fired or layed off all of the people that had differing political opinions. See Curt Schilling...but Jemele Hill went after the POTUS and was kept around.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: May 22, 19 18:41
Quote Reply