Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weird headstone question
Quote | Reply
We are trying to figure out a headstone for my parents but just ran into a weird regulation.

My parents bought 6 plots when my mom’s parents passed. My mom picked a rock from their yard and had her parent’s last name inscribed on it and put at their graves.

We buried my dad there per his request and my mom is soon to follow.

Well- we just found out the cemetery only allows one upright marker per lot. So we can’t get my parents an upright marker since my grandparents already have one.

We can add their name to the Boulder that has my grandparents last name on it. Or we can get a flat ground marker. Or I think both.

The Boulder is just a big rock with a last name carved into it. But my mother picked it out with lots of love (was a bit of a family controversy)

Just curious what other people would do in this situation?
Quote Reply
Re: Weird headstone question [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd do a flat one. But I'm also a "path of least resistance" kind of person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote here for a flat marker. We did that for my dad where he is buried with my mom in her family's plot (six spots - her parents and two siblings who all pre-deceased her, and she and my dad wanted to buried together). Since my mom's maiden name is the larger last name on the stone, we did a flat WW2 veteran's marker for my dad at the foot of the plot separate from the stone.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the rock has just the last name on it, maybe add flat markers with each person's full name and dates? Let the rock be the family marker? Added cost, but if it works with the current rock placement it might be nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t get it. You said they have 6 plots and allow 1 headstone per plot. If there’s only 1 stone there now, you’ve got 5 more to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird headstone question [North] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
North wrote:
I don’t get it. You said they have 6 plots and allow 1 headstone per plot. If there’s only 1 stone there now, you’ve got 5 more to go.

They bought 1 lot with six plots on it (six people can be buried on the one lot) but it can only have one headstone.

The one headstone has my grandparents last name which is my mother’s maiden name- so unless we add my parents last name it doesn't really act as a family marker for them.

I think we are just going with a flat marker for them. Just wasn’t expecting this and figured someone else had dealt with it at some point.
Quote Reply