Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered an 820 from Clever Training for $260; super happy with the new announcements! Perfect timing as my 510 has decided to start fucking with me (when powered on it went to this weird screen with all sorts of tests and then went to some sort of screen test with bands of different colors; I powered it on and off half a dozen times and tried all kinds of resets; later I went to show my wife I needed a new cycling computer and it powered on just fine, you could hear it laughing, I swear).

Quote | Reply
Just picked up mine at REI yesterday. Surprised they had them in stock!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just received mine from BTD. Its first ride will be tomorrow morning.

Imagine that . . . a bike-related product with less than 8 months between "intro date" and first availability! Shimano should observe closely and learn!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will say that my 510 is still working like a charm with no issues. However, the issues with touchscreen for me are when it gets dirty while riding. Having it change pages or getting it to stop, or lost in a menut trying to get back to my ride screen--after I try cleaning that screen off. Sometimes in a race, I have sugary mix or gel on it, or snot in the winter, then you try cleaning it off & you're many clicks away from the screen you were on. I don't know all the menus that well & just use pretty much one screen with 10 data boxes on it.

I have others set up with less boxes, but like all the data. The 510 is all I need...until it dies I'll be using it.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far I am loving the new 530. The screen is like a zillion times better than my old 520 screen. And, the UI seems a little more streamlined. Still takes a couple hours worth of clicks for initial setup, but that is once every few years, so I can live with it. I cannot wait to ride with it now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First impressions of the 830: I have set up my 830 and have taken it for a training ride using a 1-hour Training Peaks-generated interval workout. Here are my impressions compared to the 820 . . .
  • The 830 is slightly bigger with a bigger screen. For graphic screens, that's great! For data screens, I'm not sure it makes any difference. The numerals inside the cells don't look meaningfully bigger . . . but there's now even MORE wasted space on both sides of those readouts! Garmin, how about, for big horizontal cells, putting the legend on the left hand side and letting the numerals take up the entire height of the cell?
  • The 830 is much more refined. The materials and design make it look and feel much more upscale than the 820.
  • The 830's lap and start buttons, while still on the bottom edge of the unit, are now much closer to the screen. While the bigger size of the device makes the bottom edge just a tad closer to your handlebar (on an out front mount), the fact that the buttons are near the top means they are easier to reach and push than the old buttons.
  • The 830's charge port is now on the bottom edge where it is more accessible. No longer do you have to balance the computer on its side or place it upside down when charging. (I also like that you don't have to use the mini-USB for auxiliary batteries. I'm looking forward to my first ultra-endurance race with the hard connected auxiliary battery.)
  • The setup process for the 830 is different. In some aspects, I like it better than for previous Edge computers. In other aspects, I think it will be easy to grow accustomed to. There are a LOT more options with this computer -- more choices to make. The array of features is mind-boggling. (I hope I can remember where I found the features I want to use.)
  • This is my first use of a Training Peaks-generated workout on an Edge workout page. I'm not sure there's anything new about it. But for an interval workout, I liked it. It displays time remaining on your interval, a graphical display for the range of power designated for the interval, a continuous "pointer" that shows where you are within or without that range, and a graph that shows how you've been doing relative to the power range (above or below or where within). I'm not sure I will use it for lengthy steady state workouts, but for intervals, it does all the time tracking for you. Easy to use. Nice.
  • "Reaction time" of the 830 is much, much faster than for the 820. The faster processor works. It changes the user experience. Satellite acquisition is instantaneous. Power meter calibration is much faster. It's a better experience all the way around.
  • And let's get back to power meter calibration. With the 820, calibration of a Garmin Vector was always quick and easy. But if your power meter happened to be made by somebody else, Garmin punished you for it. It took one swipe and SIX button pushes to calibrate a Stages power meter and six button pushes to get back out after you were done. With the 830, life is good . . . even for owners of non-Garmin power meters! With the 830, you awaken your power meter, swipe down, and voila! The power meter calibration button is RIGHT THERE! One swipe. One button push. And. You're. Done! Thanks, Garmin! This improvement is much appreciated. And it impacts every ride I take.

Well, those are my impressions after day one. When you open the box on your new 830, allocate a couple hours for map and software updates. But once the unit is up and ready, it's a great experience. In my opinion, it's a big improvement over the 820. (Anyone want to buy a used Edge 820 in excellent condition?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just git my 830 today. Having hard time with getting trainingpeaks... Is it not preloaded on it like the 520+?? I have gone to the I apps and typed in training peaks but doesn't show up? Any help or suggestions?

David

H & A Racing
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [dbro1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the training peaks CIQ is gone now that Garmin has the new training api function. I noticed a small Garmin badge in a TP workout saying my workout was synced through Garmin Connect. I believe if you do this you can just go into the workouts section on the 830 and find your workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [Headstart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see that badge also but when u go to workouts in the 830 there are no workouts. Also nothing under training plan.

David

H & A Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
So far I am loving the new 530. The screen is like a zillion times better than my old 520 screen. And, the UI seems a little more streamlined. Still takes a couple hours worth of clicks for initial setup, but that is once every few years, so I can live with it. I cannot wait to ride with it now.

The reviews on REI are reporting issues with the back button. Does your unit have any issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issues on mine, so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven’t noticed anything. What is the described problem?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [dbro1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a workout to sync from TP to my 530. I added a workout from my workout library via my iPad and the TR app and after 4-5 minutes and syncing again via GCM it showed up under Training Plans on the 530 not in Workouts sectionand it’s also on the GCM calendar. I then deleted the workout on TP and it did delete from GCM but took a few minutes. However it still has not deleted from the 530.

What I did notice is a structured workout I did on Monday does show in Workout section on the 530.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I haven’t noticed anything. What is the described problem?

They're complaining that the back button can be unresponsive or require an excessive amount of pressure to engage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
They're complaining that the back button can be unresponsive or require an excessive amount of pressure to engage.
I have not noticed anything like that. Works like a charm.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how are people getting on with the 530's and 830's now that they've been out a few months?

I've never seen such a pushback from reviewers and online media in terms of criticism of these devices when they launched; I think we all know that's par-for-the-course with Garmin and maybe it just represents a lot of pent-up frustration from over the years of expectation/marketing hype vs reality.

Has the recent firmware update fixed most of the issues?

Are they usable (and reliable!) on a day-to-day basis now?

And are they a tangible upgrade over the 520 and 820 respectively?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies for the double-post, but I wanted to ask you specifically about the 830.

Firstly, you can calibrate a PM with an 820 using exactly the procedure you describe for the 830; swipe from top, click on the "Power Meter Connected" banner and it should take you straight to the calibration page! That's what I do with my Quarq DZero every time, swipe and two button presses, not six!

Anyway, would you say that the 830 is a tangible upgrade over the 820? Is the touchscreen any better than the 820, can you actually use it in wet-weather?!

I have the 820 and wondering whether to upgrade (or downgrade) to either of these; I like the idea of the longer (and expandable) battery life and larger screen, but not sure that's really enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pre-ordered my 530 at launch. I love it. It is a huge upgrade from the 520 if you use the mapping. Plus, the little features are sweet. ClimbPro is fantastic on major climbs. Its only fault is that you need to have preloaded the route. So, I probably will not be using it in the Nice WC course, though it would be a nice-to-have.

I have not observed any glitches or issues with mine at all. It just works. The UI is better than the 520 for initial setup and starting a ride. The slightly larger screen size of the 530 is very nice.

The 820 was a total disaster of a product. I had one briefly and wanted to crush it on the side of the road. The touch screen was unusable with sweaty hands, and its battery could not cover a century ride-- it consistently died at around 80 miles.I have not used the 830, but I do have a 1030. If the 830's touch screen is improved to the 1030's standard, then the 830 would be fantastic. And, I think they improved the 830 battery life too. The overall touch screen UI is way better than the 530's button-based UI. I debated the two, and went with the 530 because I like the hard-button simplicity, and it is dedicated to my TT bike. I use the 1030 on my road bike, where I use the mapping features more often. (And, there is no room to mount the 1030 between my TT extensions.)
Quote Reply

Prev Next