Prev Next
Jorgensen has surgery out for 3 months minimum
Quote | Reply
No weight bearing for circa 6 weeks.

Possibly out for 3 - 4 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Jorgensen has surgery out for 3 months minimum [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope this helps her in long run. Not trying to be a critic here, but she doesn’t look healthy since she’s starting training again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stumps wrote:

I predicted long ago in some ST thread that she wouldn't even make the US team let alone medal. I had already forgotten about her until I saw your post, and this pretty much puts the nail in the coffin except for perhaps die hard Gwen fans. She simply transitioned from world class (indeed, world best) triathlete to a national class runner; and proved that triathlon and marathon are two completely different sports. I do wish her a speedy recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Jorgensen has surgery out for 3 months minimum [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Stumps wrote:

I predicted long ago in some ST thread that she wouldn't even make the US team let alone medal. I had already forgotten about her until I saw your post, and this pretty much puts the nail in the coffin except for perhaps die hard Gwen fans. She simply transitioned from world class (indeed, world best) triathlete to a national class runner; and proved that triathlon and marathon are two completely different sports. I do wish her a speedy recovery.

+1 not that anyone wished her ill, it just looked like waayyy too much of a stretch to be the best in one sport and then the best in another sport.

PS edit I'd like to see her return to ITU as I'm more interested in seeing if she could make a complete comeback there vs being a national class runner.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Last edited by: IT: May 21, 19 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: Jorgensen has surgery out for 3 months minimum [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the injury? She is just too malnourished to handle the marathon
Quote Reply
Re: Jorgensen has surgery out for 3 months minimum [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty wild statement considering all marathoners are rail thin.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Haglund's deformity.

Why the malnourished comment? I don't see many other elite marathoners looking like triathletes.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Jorgensen has surgery out for 3 months minimum [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getting my popcorn for this one....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Stumps wrote:

Agreed. Unless one is Bo Jackson, tough to double up and be a world beater or even competitive on a big scale. She also should have done a 3 year plan instead of the rapid ramp up. Best to her, but I never understood the run obsession after such a stellar ITU career.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Letsrun has to be heartbroken.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another notch on Jerry’s belt!

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Jorgensen has surgery out for 3 months minimum [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Agreed. Unless one is Bo Jackson, tough to double up and be a world beater or even competitive on a big scale. She also should have done a 3 year plan instead of the rapid ramp up. Best to her, but I never understood the run obsession after such a stellar ITU career.

Or Primoz Roglic, apparently

I understood, she wanted to be happy. She wasn't happy cycling (or swimming?) so stick with the part she loves, plenty of us AGers do it (and not after winning our AGs in Kona or ITU worlds...), she just needs to realize that she can't make the same living nor enjoy the same sponsorship much longer. I never had much hope for her winning any marathons but I sure was supportive of her move.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this just makes me sad.

I think one of the things that earned her so many fans is the fact she wanted to try to be the best in two different sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Or Primoz Roglic, apparently

I understood, she wanted to be happy. She wasn't happy cycling (or swimming?) so stick with the part she loves, plenty of us AGers do it (and not after winning our AGs in Kona or ITU worlds...), she just needs to realize that she can't make the same living nor enjoy the same sponsorship much longer. I never had much hope for her winning any marathons but I sure was supportive of her move.

Oh, I get the being happy part completely. The timeline was my issue. Too short of a build up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least go to 6:40 to see the post op drugged up Gwen. It's worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/...P5XeQnPAEJAasUKuhL00

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Jorgensen has surgery out for 3 months minimum [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her run obsession gave her one more “sponsored” Olympic cycle but on her terms. Itu Gypsy lifestyle is hard af and she already attempted the non “all in” itu early in her career to moderate success. It wasn’t til she quit everything and moved out of US that she became the stellar GJ. She knew more than anything what it took to win gold. It wasn’t a sacrifics it was an “investment”.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Haglund's deformity.

Why the malnourished comment? I don't see many other elite marathoners looking like triathletes.

They all look Whippet-thin; but I have to agree that Gwen often looks very malnourished in comparison. I think this is because she is much taller than the typical women world class marathoner. She is also taller than the typical MALE world class marathoner. That doesn't mean that tall runners cannot be world class, but there is no doubt that it is not the optimal body type. 126-130 lbs is exceptionally thin at her height of 5' 10". From T&F News in 2005: the top 10 women marathoners average just under 5' 4" and 104.2 lbs.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: May 21, 19 11:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said and she said, her injury is Haglunds Deformity. Which really has nothing to do with how much one weighs.

Now if an STer posted that they had Haglunds Deformity and needed surgery the overwhelming response would be support.

So she can't run for awhile. Which means she could probably swim and bike sooner than run. Can we hope that this will be a reason to return to ITU?

She seems as coherent and nice as ever on the video. Hopefully we will see her back to triathlons by next year. If she could make the Olympics again (just qualifying not winning) as a triathlete, that would be a great human interest story for her/sponsors/fans.

My marathon weight was 130-135lbs at 6'. Lydiard was coaching me at camps and through mail and said that one needs to look like they've just come out of a concentration camp with bulging eyes. Africans look that thin and no one frets about them.

Good luck Gwen. Would like to see you back at ITU.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
hadukla wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Haglund's deformity.

They all look Whippet-thin; but I have to agree that Gwen often looks very malnourished in comparison. I think this is because she is much taller than the typical women world class marathoner. She is also taller than the typical MALE world class marathoner. That doesn't mean that tall runners cannot be world class, but there is no doubt that it is not the optimal body type. 126-130 lbs is exceptionally thin at her height of 5' 10". From T&F News in 2005: the top 10 women marathoners average just under 5' 4" and 104.2 lbs.

This
Quote Reply
Re: Jorgensen has surgery out for 3 months minimum [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i like the comment on YT that drugged up Gwen should have her own channel. She's so nice. No potty mouth......but does confess to stealing Netflix
Quote Reply
Re: Jorgensen has surgery out for 3 months minimum [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She’s not coming back to triathlon ever.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Jorgensen has surgery out for 3 months minimum [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
She’s not coming back to triathlon ever.
This. She'll go back to being a tax accountant before she races ITU again.
Quote Reply
Re: Jorgensen has surgery out for 3 months minimum [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an interesting question to ask yourself: If you have accomplished the highest step in the sport, what is the draw in continuing? Clearly most athletes do want to continue and want more, as in multiple medals/rings/championships over years, but what does that really prove? What's wrong with saying "okay, proved that, now let's do something different."

In a way I think it says some really good things about the athlete; that they have a diverse enough life that they also want things outside the sport. I always felt that way about Chrissie. And they're probably more interesting people as well. Not saying that this wasn't a pipe dream for Gwen (I think it is), but good on her for doing what she wants and not feeling like she "owes" anybody anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Jorgensen has surgery out for 3 months minimum [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree, she had nothing left to prove. We're just selfish in that we weren't ready to see her quit triathlon, given how dominant she was. But hey, I'm still liking a US female's chances in Tokyo. ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next