Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a credit card for everything I can.

I very rarely use cash. I carry some with me for situations that either don't have card capabilities (like farmers markets, street vendors, etc....).

I also use Venmo quite a lot (with my daughters and all my younger friends), to split meals, share costs, swap $ for whatever reasons. None of my older (my age) friends use Venmo though, so I have to use cash to split costs at times with those geezers.

But basically I use a credit card for 99.9% of all my transactions.

Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But basically I use a credit card for 99.9% of all my transactions.

Same. I just got the Amazon prime cc which gives you 5% back on Amazon purchases. About the only thing I pay cash for is restaurant tips and any place that doesn't take cc.

Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
len wrote:
Jeez now how am I going to avoid paying taxes.

Debit is the lowest cost for businesses and safer than having a lot of cash on hand

Credit card cost them the most. Fewer and fewer offer discount for cash transaction makes me wonder if credit card companies make it a condition to not allow as condition of being able to use visa services.

I think we are lemmings who are quite willingly giving up our privacy for convenience.

Most just can't be bothered to switch back and forth with the cash discount. There are still quite a few vendors in the construction supply business that charge a service fee for credit cards, despite it (to my knowledge) being illegal to do so.

Not the case. My understanding was not that it was a legal issue so much as a contractual issue. Regardless, the merchant service vendors no longer enforce this rule.
Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this point, all cc fees are baked into merchants prices. If you pay cash, good on you, but you ain't getting a discount.

There's a few mom and pop shops out there that still have a cash vs credit price...i see it a lot with construction/landscape contractors and such. However most normal retailers, you're paying those fees already in your prices.

What really gets me, is places charging you a "convenience fee" for paying a bill on-line or automated telephone.

You send them a manual check in the mail or go down to the office, you don't get the fee. I see this a lot with government/municipal entities. I have to feel is it cheaper for them to have everyone pay by credit card, saving them from staffing up to handle a bunch of in-person payments or the hassles and cash flows associated with processing manual checks. But they still call it a "convenience fee" and charge you extra anyway.

Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not racism, it's based on class.

Either way, it's absolute bull shit that you can't pay with whatever you want to pay with so long as it's nothing ludicrous like having a place count pennies or nickels for a large purchase.

There's a level of reasonableness to be expected to run a business.

Time wise, I don't think the math works out anyway. Any food truck or place I've ever been that would seemingly benefit from cashless transactions seems to be slower with all the swipe, wait, confirm, push this tip button, rotate the Clover/Square back.......etc..

I think it's that they can't hire people who can fucking count and rapidly make change anymore. Because they can't count and do basic finger math.

Sorry, I don't think it's racist at all. Nor is it usually intentionally classist. It's just an unfortunate and crappy consequence of how a place decides to do business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The word "discrimination" is thrown around these days, just like racism etc. It gets attention and creates outrage, gets clicks and likes. It has nothing to do with discrimination. Cash is a legal way of paying for things and it should be illegal not to accept it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
No cashless society for you.

https://www.google.ca/...cbc.ca/amp/1.5139213

I was at the National Restaurant Association trade show in Chicago on Saturday and pretty much everyone was talking about the legal impediment to going cashless. Just two years ago the entire industry was racing toward a cashless model. Now... that's busted. I really don't have a dog in the fight but I could tell most of the attendees were pretty... deflated? I'm struggling to find the right word.

(Edit: "deflated" about not being able to go ahead with a cashless model. I regular a number of trade shows throughout the year and NRA Chicago is, by far, the largest, most vibrant, and most upbeat. The restaurant industry is a beautiful beast.)
Last edited by: GreenPlease: May 20, 19 21:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Straight cash homey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07G23zMGa4g

I pay with a lot of stuff with credit cards, but not accepting cash just isn't right. Likewise, I never pay for nickel and dime stuff (like a coke) or something from a food cart with a credit card. Wth all the fraud out there, why put yourself at risk? And maybe it's just me, but I never pay for lap dances with a credit card.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I went to China for the first time

The singld lost shocking aspect was the lack of cash used and how phones are used to pay for everything

To the point where because I did not have money on we chat I'd get to the checkout in a restaurant and someone else would have to pay for me, sometimes staff, sometimes locals and I'd give them cash
Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that currency must be an acceptable form of payment for debt legally but the merchant is effectively refusing to enter into the transaction with you if you don't agree to pay them the way they want to be paid so you have not established a debt with them. I haven't run across any cashless business where I live... still a few cash only though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cash is issued by the United States Government and it is generally accepted form of payment. End of story.

Credit cards are an option the merchant can choose to use. I agree that cash should not be excluded for the resin above. However, if a business is created with the sole purpose of saving its customers money and it’s exclusive to only credit cards for a streamlined business (think about Uber)- I get that cash doesn’t have a place in the business.

A brick and mortar store- yeah, I think cash should be accepted.
Quote Reply

Prev Next