Prev Next
Re: The most useless letter in the alphabet [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BLeP wrote:
JSA wrote:
BLeP wrote:
JSA wrote:
U. Elimination of the letter would stop the Canadian overuse of same.

Why do you hate superfluous u’s?

What kills me is that you overuse it, but, you really never need it. Just spell the words the way you say them. For example: "Let's go oot and aboot!" See, no "u" needed.

You stupid Americans can’t even mock our accent correctly.

We don’t say oot and aboot

We say oat and aboat

Nope. My Canadian buddies from Hamilton live right next to your dumb ass and they say "oot and aboot."

I met a lovely family from Wisconsin last month. You folks have absolutely no leg to stand on when it comes to making fun of people's accents.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Last edited by: BCtriguy1: May 20, 19 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: The most useless letter in the alphabet [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Fck Yo

See that just doesn't work.
Quote Reply
Re: The most useless letter in the alphabet [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
JSA wrote:

Fck Yo

See that just doesn't work.

Fook yoo!

Sure it does.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: The most useless letter in the alphabet [VagueRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VagueRunner wrote:
BLeP wrote:
wimsey wrote:
C can also sound like ‘ch’ - e.g., cello. No other letter on its own can do the ‘ch’ sound. And would you really want a word like “chew” spelled “khew”? I don’t think C is the useless letter winner of this useless discussion.

Damn you. I damn you to hell.

If we are picking between C an K, how do you not go for the letter that is silent 90% of the time?

But C is used to make an S sound too so we could also eliminate that confusion.
Quote Reply
Re: The most useless letter in the alphabet [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
The power of Krist compels you.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The most useless letter in the alphabet [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Can the LR sort this out once and for all?

I nominate C and Q. But I am willing to hear other nominations with arguments.

C: it’s copies K and S. it doesn’t even have a sound of its own. Pathetic.

Q: it’s dependant on the letter u to do it’s dirty work and can easily be replaced by kw.

So you're saying that C does the job of two other letters, plus does the "ch" sound as well? It's a multi-tasker. Sounds like you could get rid of S and K before getting rid of C.

The language of my people did away with the K and uses C instead.
We also don't have Q, V, X or Z but somehow still ended up with 29 'letters'.

Wales is a lovely part of the world and I don’t mean to be rude, but if you folks think Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is a reasonable name for anything, you aren’t very persuasive in conversations about simplifying language.

Btw, this guy is a linguistic hero:

https://youtu.be/fHxO0UdpoxM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

I prefer the Naomi Watts version..

Quote Reply
Re: The most useless letter in the alphabet [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
C can also sound like ‘ch’ - e.g., cello. No other letter on its own can do the ‘ch’ sound. And would you really want a word like “chew” spelled “khew”? I don’t think C is the useless letter winner of this useless discussion.

You replace "ch" with J. For example, our trade war with Jina.
Quote Reply
Re: The most useless letter in the alphabet [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not X? It's either Z - zylophone, or CKS - bocks. Put your socks in that bocks. The focks ran over the rocks.
Quote Reply
Re: The most useless letter in the alphabet [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, we could do away with x as well.

Ekshibishun

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: The most useless letter in the alphabet [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always thought this one was quite funny:

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German (which was the other possibility). As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English."

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be> replaced with "f." This will make words like fotograf 20 per cent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, alwil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the fourth yer peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no> mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem vil finali kum tru.

Zen ve vil rul ze world!!
Quote Reply
Re: The most useless letter in the alphabet [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
wimsey wrote:

You replace "ch" with J. For example, our trade war with Jina.

Jucky Jeese has a nice ring. Jewing gum not so much.
Quote Reply

Prev Next