Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? May 20 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 20 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik, I hope your healthy coping has continued and things are going well for you.

I was on the road last week but swam twice, biked five times, and ran four times and took a really love yoga class.Everything was by feel. I wanted to swim in the ocean but it's been raining here so the ocean is closed. The highlight of my week was a long trail run on one of my favorite trails -- it was so nice to get out in the mountains and just go.

I'm traveling again this week but then heading home to Upstate New York for a few days to see my family. I expect it to be more of the same -- I've really been enjoying the flexibility of my workouts and am starting to feel more recharged.

On Thursday night, I'm going to return to rock climbing -- then things will really be 100% normal post-accident.

I hope everyone has a great week, happy training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 20 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great week SoCal! Dr TC - hope your week went well and you were less frustrated by the end.

My plans were:
M: swim + women's ride
T: strength + vo2 run intervals
W: swim + over-unders on the trainer
Th: run + easy bike (might ditch the bike depending on how I'm recovering)
F: swim + bike/run brick
S: run + strength
BUT we all know what they say about plans. It wasn't terrible and I'm pleased with how I've learnt to go with the flow.

Monday was ok. Tuesday was a complete washout due to an overnight call out which meant I was watching the sunrise from a field. Wednesday started with more middle of the night shenanigans and was a late finish as well so on Thursday I ditched my easy bike in favour of a two hour nap. I did some schedule shuffling on Friday and Saturday so I could do my long run before I went on call and did my brick run by running round and round my block just in case I got called out.

In other news, I am ready for Dan to come back now. The last few days have been a struggle.

This week: swim x 3, bike x 4, run x 4, strength x 2. Check my dress uniform still fits!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
never got around to setting goals; had a reasonably good week. I am proud of myself for (a) taking some lower mileage days at the end of the week and (b) taking a day off that involved NO unhealthy coping mechanisms.

I was supposed to race on Sunday but I felt nauseous and headachy all of Saturday. I took half a tylenol PM at 6 pm - it did not knock me out like it usually does - so I took the other half at 8 pm. Then when it was time to get up to race I still felt really drugged. My parents started driving to the race with me and we got about 15 minutes down the road and I asked to turn around. I just wasn't waking up. I could see myself running about a mile and then either walking the rest or just laying down in the road and going back to sleep... and while there's nothing wrong with walking a race, that wasn't really what I wanted to do (or felt like doing, or even really felt up to). So we went home and I slept until 11:30 am. I think that was the right choice - it is a choice I feel okay (if not good) about. I also didn't force myself to work out later, because I didn't feel like it. As I suspected would happen, I felt GREAT today. I ran/swam/ran and would have taken my bike out if I didn't have to get on a plane :P

M: 6 mi run + 1375 yd swim
T: 4.2 mi run + 1350 yd swim + 5 mi run
W: 9 mi run
T: 3.1 mi run + 1625 yd swim
F: 5 mi run + 1275 yd swim
S: 3.4 mi run + 1825 yd swim
S: off

totals 7450 yd swim + 35.7 mi run

I've never really actually managed to taper for a race, so I'm pleased with Th/F/S of that week... I did a good job.

Another week highlight - got to be in the room when the governor of Maine signed the bill that bans schools from using "Indian" mascots. I've been working on getting that bill passed, and met a lot of great people in the process, and it's important because the indigenous people in our area have been treated very badly - and the mascots play into that. (My former district had finally voted to remove our "Indian" mascot in March, but we need the legislation so some new school board can't change it back).

This week - I'm running a conference Tues through Fri and am not sure yet what I'll have for workout access. Goal: no unhealthy coping mechanisms. I had one or two rougher days this past week.

I really appreciate this group and the all-around support.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well-done on all the workouts during a travel week! Happy climbing.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 20 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
naps are the best. Nice job going with the flow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you had a good week Dr TC! And congrats on your legislation success in Maine. Those are hard to come by up there.

I wish I had good news to report this week. I'm fine. Exhausted but fine. A female cyclist in my club was run off the road/struck (still not clear) by a menacing driver on Saturday morning. She is in critical condition in the hospital and it's not looking good. I have been running all of the behind the scenes club stuff with this crisis, everything from trying to track down other riders with onboard cameras to see if they caught a vehicle that matches the description to an official press release to a message to our club members. I called the victim's husband this morning to offer support and assure him that our community stands behind her and her family. And then I hung up the phone and had a massive breakdown. I am so sick over this. I am angry, scared to ride those roads, and exhausted of beating the same drum day in day out with reckless and just plain evil motor vehicle drivers. And this was after I spent both Friday and Saturday at our region's largest cycling events promoting our club. Just, ugh.

Anyways, the best way I can focus and do some healthy coping is through working out. Which, I get to do more of this week!

Goals for the week: enjoy foot freedom

M- 10min recumbent bike warmup, 45min of heavy lifting, 1.75 walk (in TWO hiking boots!)
Tu- 45min pool running and core
W- 40min elliptical, 35min strength and core
Th- 2400yd swim and core
F- Either rest day or the same as Monday
Sa- This was supposed to be an OWS festival, but there is too much running and embankment climbing to complete the second two races for me to complete safely (The swim course is 750m, and the 1500 and 2250 are 2/3 loops where you have to get out and run down a beach and a dock and get back in). If I decide to bail, I'll do a hard hike near home for the same amount of time.
Su- Rest or same as Monday

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 20 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sucks Dr_C. Hope the rest of the week improves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I wish I had good news to report this week. I'm fine. Exhausted but fine. A female cyclist in my club was run off the road/struck (still not clear) by a menacing driver on Saturday morning. She is in critical condition in the hospital and it's not looking good. I have been running all of the behind the scenes club stuff with this crisis, everything from trying to track down other riders with onboard cameras to see if they caught a vehicle that matches the description to an official press release to a message to our club members. I called the victim's husband this morning to offer support and assure him that our community stands behind her and her family. And then I hung up the phone and had a massive breakdown. I am so sick over this. I am angry, scared to ride those roads, and exhausted of beating the same drum day in day out with reckless and just plain evil motor vehicle drivers. And this was after I spent both Friday and Saturday at our region's largest cycling events promoting our club. Just, ugh.

I hope your friend pulls through. I'm so sorry. I hope you all can catch the driver who did it :-(
your anger and feeling sick over it are so, so valid.

I'm glad you can work out a bit more. Thinking of you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. C, I'm so sorry to hear about the accident. I'll be thinking of you, the woman who was hit/run off, and your community.

TC-congrats on the healthy coping skills, and good luck with the conference.

SoCal--Enjoy the traveling to upstate! I think I've told you before that I live in upstate NY and my family lives in SoCal, so we're opposites.

Sheherezade--great job navigating what sounds like a crazy week last week. I agree with TC-naps are the best.

I hit all my goals last week. Additionally, I went on a long ride with the clipless pedals and didn't fall off. Lost my balance twice and almost fell, but didn't. So, it counts. I didn't do it with the local bike club like I said would, but I brought my hubby along to pick me up off the pavement if need be. We had a lovely time--it's one thing he loves and I'm glad we get to do that together.

This week I start a Mike Ricci plan for the Lake Placid 70.3, so I'm now at his mercy. It includes three bikes, four runs, three swims, and two strengths.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry Dr_Cupcake, thinking of your friend, you, and your club.

GiantNewb, I remember! Hoping to get up to Adirondack SP or Minnewaska to run trails while I'm home. Also, hoping I remember how to train in the humidity. Keep up the great work!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. C - that's a tough week. Make sure you take care of yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, womens!

Glad to hear you are getting back to it, SoCal. Sometimes you need to unplug and just go. Sounds like it was rejuvenating for you.

Scheherazade, hope you are recovering from being on call! A two-hour nap sounds glorious. Good on you for being flexible and still getting (most of) it done.

Dr. T., I wonder if you didn't have a migraine on Saturday? Sometimes I get nauseous and dizzy and the only thing that helps is sleep. Hope you are feeling better and I'm glad you didn't try to push yourself to the point you were really sick. Also, good on you for your work with the mascot legislation.

Dr._C., what an awful situation. Here's hoping she pulls through and that you catch the driver.

GiantNewb, hooray for successful clipless pedal riding!

I work in higher ed and you can imagine that the last two weeks have been jam packed. I am thrilled that the bulk of it is behind me now. I have been doing catch up work this week and am taking some time off Thursday and Friday ahead of the long weekend (Memorial Day here in the U.S.) to go visit my husband's best friend. We won't be gone that long and we are driving so I am trying not to stress about the pre-vacation errands... if dishes are done, nothing is rotting in the sink/garbage/fridge, and the dogs make it to my parents, we will be fine.

I did OK with workouts these last two weeks, considering. I have maintained my 3 x weekly Trainer Road workouts for more than two months now! And I was cleared to gently start running again. I've only done two runs of 4 x 2 minutes with walk breaks, and the first one still hurt in the hamstring a bit, but the second one felt a lot better. (I'm bringing my run clothes with me on our mini-vacation.) I neglected weights last week but it was a busy week and something had to give. Hopefully I will get back on a regular schedule soon, keep building up the running, and get to take my bike outside. This has been the winter that will not end!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 20 Edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice job on the pedal adjustment!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 20 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rejuvenating for sure -- so nice not to look at a watch or a power meter.

And lesson learned: racing three 70.3 in less than three months was not my best idea.

Quote Reply