Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Car parts - OEM necessary?
Quote | Reply
I clipped the passenger side mirror backing into the garage yesterday and need a new mirror assembly for my Toyota Tundra. Looks easy enough to install with help of youtube videos. In pricing the part, OEM from Toyota is about $150 more than on a site such as this...https://www.carparts.com/...tml?showfitment=true

I don't have much experience here, so is it necessary to go OEM on a part like this?
Quote Reply
Re: Car parts - OEM necessary? [Ga Dawgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ga Dawgs wrote:
I clipped the passenger side mirror backing into the garage yesterday and need a new mirror assembly for my Toyota Tundra. Looks easy enough to install with help of youtube videos. In pricing the part, OEM from Toyota is about $150 more than on a site such as this...https://www.carparts.com/...tml?showfitment=true

I don't have much experience here, so is it necessary to go OEM on a part like this?

Depends. Did you buy the car or lease it?

If you bought it, aftermarket is fine.

If you leased it they usually demand OEM.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Car parts - OEM necessary? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bought, not leased. Thanks for the input!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out rockauto.com
I've had good luck there on prices/parts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on the part itself.

My experience with body parts it that OEM stuff fits better and is more plug and play. Suspension parts like shocks and springs, I like aftermarket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*Used car dealer* (full disclosure)

I almost never use OEM parts as the differences in price between them and what you can buy online is often 50-75% - that said, always price shop, sometimes you get surprised and online isn't cheapest.

I don't just do this for cars I sell, but on my own (some pretty expensive) cars as well. In 10+ years I've been burned maybe 2-3 times (I bought some wheel bearings once that were bad straight from the box... but bought on ebay and they replaced them no charge other than having to wait)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carparts and jcwhitney are generally good places to go for aftermarket parts. I try to get OEM whenever possible for parts that are not generic replacement (consumables so to speak). I just replaced my daughter's driver side rear light assembly 2012 Altima), went OEM as I was able to get it though a local body shop $40 cheaper than the dealer, $150 out the door, about 10 minutes to swap out. I was concerned the coloring of the lenses wouldn't be quite right or the fit wouldn't be tight possible allowing water to seep into the truck space.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a Scotty Kilmer YouTube video. He is a lifelong mechanic and now a youtuber with a couple million subscribers. He did one on ONE vs aftermarket parts. As I recall, one thing he said was avoid made in Mexico parts. The China stuff? He said the quality these days is very good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going price on ebay seems to be about $75 shipped for used Tundra mirrors. I don't know your year, but folks part out wrecked cars and sell good used parts on ebay.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Car parts - OEM necessary? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Going price on ebay seems to be about $75 shipped for used Tundra mirrors. I don't know your year, but folks part out wrecked cars and sell good used parts on ebay.

Beat me to it. Check on ebay, you will likely be able to find the correct color as well, (if your mirrors are painted) which will save you even more money.

My wife has a habit of clipping the garage door frame with her Acura MDX. Was able to get the correct color mirror on ebay from a parted out car for 1/3 what it would have cost me otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Car parts - OEM necessary? [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll add that ebay policies are very protective of buyers. If you get something that is damaged (unless damage was disclosed) or something not as described, you can return it and get money back -- even if item was sold "no return."

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Car parts - OEM necessary? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

LKQ is also a good resource for OEM parts. They get a ton of insurance totaled cars and will post the parts on their website. I checked there first but out of the 20-30 wrecked MDXs they had, none of them were the correct color.
Quote Reply