Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination
Quote | Reply
No cashless society for you.

https://www.google.ca/...cbc.ca/amp/1.5139213

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For personal use I use cards or Apple Pay for gas, groceries and online purchases.

For everything else it’s cash.

Quote:
'An equity issue'

This idea of “equity” needs to be resisted with vigor.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: May 18, 19 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost never use cash. I almost never have cash to use.

Unless the place is offering a discount for cash, I’d rather collect cash back points on my card.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s cool.

I bought enough gas and groceries on my Alaska Air card I was able to get a free plane ticket, business class, to Cabo San Lucas.

I take off this coming Monday.

Surf forecast looks really good....

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is just a bunch of BS.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

You’re racist.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kind of like being a bit more anonymous with my cash instead of credit cards. Not too sure I want to tell the world how much I spend in bars, not buying enough vegetables at the grocery, or even being able to be tracked by gps with my phone. I really don't like my card to go out of my sight as I never trust what those little scamps in the back are up to. I have my card jacked a couple times. Never could prove who did it as I am sure they gave the digits and the numbers on the back to a friend. I know that is where my card info got out, but can't prove it.
Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
I kind of like being a bit more anonymous with my cash instead of credit cards. Not too sure I want to tell the world how much I spend in bars, not buying enough vegetables at the grocery, or even being able to be tracked by gps with my phone..

Does your mom pay your CC bill or something?
Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
G-man wrote:
I kind of like being a bit more anonymous with my cash instead of credit cards. Not too sure I want to tell the world how much I spend in bars, not buying enough vegetables at the grocery, or even being able to be tracked by gps with my phone..

No but the issuer knows and dumps that info in their algo
Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
SH wrote:
G-man wrote:

No but the issuer knows and dumps that info in their algo

Yeah. So?

Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mom died of old age a dozen years or so ago. But I do know everything you do and transaction you make in the cyber world can be tracked by anyone with the skills and/or interest do do so. A dozen years or so ago I had a riding friend that worked in an office building with no windows that read middle eastern news papers, watched TV shows and dropped in on social media accounts. Then gave a report to the pentagon for 0700 hours briefings. Then after work he would take off for a ride. I had 4 different routes I would ride and he managed to somehow meet up with me unannounced on a way too improbable percentage of times.
Then when I turned my non smart phone off in my pocket his average went down to about 25%. When I asked him if he was tracking my phone on cell towers, he smiled and said "Maybe, but that would be illegal". That is getting a bit personal.

There is a big brother out there, but I just don't want to play all the time. Like I mentioned my CC has been jacked twice in what I think are restaurant workers grabbing and sharing digits with friends. Of course the card covered the loss but I had to go thru the hassle of getting new cards.
I think he has stopped his pop up ads, but I sort of wondered how Filson got to be on my Slowtwitch screens a while back. I am thinking about less than 1% of Slowtwitch members own a Filson clothing item. But here they were front and center on my Slowtwitch screen. Call me old school but that just ain't right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the article, Canadia leads the world as the top cashless society. You racist bastards.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When we used to use AMEX I also didn't care for their profiling my purchases and telling me what and how much I bought.
On a side note we are using RFID credit card sleeve for protection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

You’re racist.

Admittedly but it's still BS.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Unless the place is offering a discount for cash, I’d rather collect cash back points on my card.
Exactly. If you're paying cash you are subsidizing everyone paying with card. We have gone card-less before just to budget, if you don't have the dough you don't buy it. I also agree about the anonymity but I'm not buying shady stuff so it's probably not a big deal. I could care less if someone knows I buy $50 of beer per week.
Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Exactly. If you're paying cash you are subsidizing everyone paying with card. We have gone card-less before just to budget, if you don't have the dough you don't buy it. I also agree about the anonymity but I'm not buying shady stuff so it's probably not a big deal. I could care less if someone knows I buy $50 of beer per week.

You life and health insurers
Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
According to the article, Canadia leads the world as the top cashless society. You racist bastards.

It's funny how cash has gone from being used for small transactions to only large ones (in my world). I've had potential clients offer to pay me in cash with a wink and a nudge for jobs of up to $50k.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
not buying enough vegetables at the grocery,

Using a card for groceries doesn’t actually track what items you purchase.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But if you use the Safeway card to get your $ discounts you bet your ass they know exactly what you bought. Word that my brother. Jewel T was doing that in the 70s to see what they would put on sale to bring more folks in the next week. I worked there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
But if you use the Safeway card to get your $ discounts you bet your ass they know exactly what you bought. Word that my brother. Jewel T was doing that in the 70s to see what they would put on sale to bring more folks in the next week. I worked there.

I don’t shop at Safeway.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
G-man wrote:

I don’t shop at Safeway.

Only the organic self sustaining vegan gluten free hippie farmer's market?
Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Duffy wrote:
G-man wrote:

I don’t shop at Safeway.

Only the organic self sustaining vegan gluten free hippie farmer's market?

Pretty much.

Farmers Market
Lazy Acres (a small store that was Whole Foods before Whole Foods existed)
Kanaloa market (for fish)
Fisherman’s market (for lingcod)
Steak, sausage, bacon, pork from Moink
Tri County Produce
And Trader Joe’s

It really depends on what we’re getting.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeez now how am I going to avoid paying taxes.

Debit is the lowest cost for businesses and safer than having a lot of cash on hand

Credit card cost them the most. Fewer and fewer offer discount for cash transaction makes me wonder if credit card companies make it a condition to not allow as condition of being able to use visa services.

I think we are lemmings who are quite willingly giving up our privacy for convenience.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Not accepting cash for payment is discrimination [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Jeez now how am I going to avoid paying taxes.

Debit is the lowest cost for businesses and safer than having a lot of cash on hand

Credit card cost them the most. Fewer and fewer offer discount for cash transaction makes me wonder if credit card companies make it a condition to not allow as condition of being able to use visa services.

I think we are lemmings who are quite willingly giving up our privacy for convenience.

Most just can't be bothered to switch back and forth with the cash discount. There are still quite a few vendors in the construction supply business that charge a service fee for credit cards, despite it (to my knowledge) being illegal to do so.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've started using cash for smaller day to day purchases.
Quote Reply

Prev Next