Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Building superbike on budget
Quote | Reply
I’m thinking ahead for a possible build. Wanting to build “superbike” but cheap. Alright with buying a lot of stuff used bc it’s worth it and can save a lot of $$. A lot of idea behind this is that windtunnel data have shown bikes like p2/p3 built with right stuff isn’t much “slower” than ur superbikes.

I did have a 2014 p3 w 10spd mechanical, quarq, Tri rig brakes, 3t breeze ltd base bar, 3t ski extensions, Flo 90/disc wheelset but unfortunately sold it bc I stepped away from Tri to do crit and road racing.

So want your thoughts: I’m not sold on 1x solely so that’s not a discussion due to where I live and terrain.

-2014+ Cervelo P2 or P3
-Etap or di2 (I have etap on my 2017 trek madone and could put etap on TT bike and put mechanical groupset on madone)
-Tri Rig Brakes
-alpha X or alpha one (I’m not sure which one bc I will be doing high hands, even full praying mantis position so have to consider base bars ability to tilt extensions and keep base bar flat). Thoughts or suggestions on this? Been seeing the revolver arm cups w the built up back end to help keep elbows from slipping.
-not sure on aero extensions
-Quarq
-I have Flo carbon 60’s so May stick w 60 for front and get a Flo disc.

Anything else to consider?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Building superbike on budget [cmsamp3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  • I would do Di2 (or mechanical if "cheap is the true priority). I have Di2 on my TT bike and eTap on my road bike. I love them both, but I prefer Di2 on TT, because it is easier to hide the install, and I love full synchro on the TT bike.
  • I would look beyond the P2/P3. That was a great bike in its day, but a lot of other very strong (and probably cheaper) alternatives have come out in the six years since the P2/P3 was born. The P2/P3 has dirty cable routing (can fix with mod) and the rear brake location that you cannot fix. Other frames (like the Felt IA, Argon, Speed Concept, etc.) may be faster than a P2/P3 frame and offer better integrated storage for better overall aero. For example, any frame with an integrated draft box for storage could be faster than a fully equipped P2/P3 with its legacy limitations.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever need to worry about UCI rules?

IMO a lot of bikes have "superbike" aero if you sort out the bars, brakes, and other parts. So a newer P2 or P3 is a good starting point, but others (and even older frames) might be a better value. I definitely wouldn't be going with electronic on a budget bike. It's ~$1k for slightly easier shifting. The Alpha Ones are probably a good choice since the bars are quite important.
Quote Reply
Re: Building superbike on budget [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not strained on $$ per se. I just feel like you can build a superbike and not spend $6k+. I like electronic and not worried about UCI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, if budget is important, I would not do Di2 or ETap. They are cool systems, but they do not make the bike faster. Get mechanical and save a bunch of money or spend it on something that will actually make you or your bike faster.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found this set-up this week from someone and I really like it: http://www.floataero.com/...-P3C-2019-set-up.pdf
Some smart choices in equipment, maybe you can do an identical build but switch the base bar to the Tririg Alpha One.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmsamp3 wrote:
I’m not strained on $$ per se. I just feel like you can build a superbike and not spend $6k+. I like electronic and not worried about UCI.

Well, I think you can build a superbike for <$2k and give up very little or nothing to the $10k+ bikes, and be better in some ways... ;)

One thing about the P2 or P3 is that the wide BB forces high Q. I guess you will have that anyway with the Quarq PM. And the used P2s and P3s are not cheap IME. Someone was selling a P2 (full bike) on here for $1100 or so not long ago, and that is cheapest I've seen by a good margin. Usually P2s are >$1500, which seems kinda high. P2s also have wider fork blades than the P3. If you get a P2 I'd put a P5-6 fork on it, and repaint both to match...;)
Quote Reply
Re: Building superbike on budget [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Rob's setup also! Although I would have filled in the fork-downtube area since he was getting it painted anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Building superbike on budget [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say fill in the fork down tube area

What does this mean exactly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to note on the old P2 at least (not sure about P3) is that you can only run 23mm tires in the older P2s.... as far as I understand the common best practice is to go for 25s....
Quote Reply
Re: Building superbike on budget [Stimps9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stimps9 wrote:
One thing to note on the old P2 at least (not sure about P3) is that you can only run 23mm tires in the older P2s.... as far as I understand the common best practice is to go for 25s....

What year? I have a 2013 P2 (not the new frame style) and can run 25mm tires without issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Building superbike on budget [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it’s 2012
Quote Reply
Re: Building superbike on budget [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not just buy an actual superbike? You don’t have to spend $10k. My co-worker just bought a brand new Speed Concept for less than $4k. I’ve seen late model used 7.5’s transact for $2k or less. No need to update brakes or cockpits on one of those; with a decent set of wheels that platform is at least as fast as anything out there. If you’re really budget conscious, throw an aerojacket on the stock 50mm rear wheel and run the front as-is, and your still in the ballpark.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 19, 19 16:34
Quote Reply
Re: Building superbike on budget [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
When you say fill in the fork down tube area

What does this mean exactly?

Like the P4, the new Cervelos, and most new bikes. Make a smooth transition from the fork crown to the downtube.
Last edited by: rruff: May 19, 19 16:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stimps9 wrote:
I think it’s 2012

Pretty sure all the P2Cs are the same. They have horizontal dropouts with adjusters. You can move the wheel back to gain more clearance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stimps9 wrote:

2008 P2 with FLO disc and 25 GP 4000
Quote Reply
Re: Building superbike on budget [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Why not just buy an actual superbike? You don’t have to spend $10k. My co-worker just bought a brand new Speed Concept for less than $4k. I’ve seen used 7.5’s transact for $2k or less. No need to update brakes or cockpits on one of those; with a decent set of wheels that platform is at least as fast as anything out there. If you’re really budget conscious, throw an aerojacket on the stock 50mm rear wheel and run the front as-is, and your still in the ballpark.

Can you get the same adjustability with integrated front end?
Quote Reply
Re: Building superbike on budget [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
gary p wrote:
Why not just buy an actual superbike? You don’t have to spend $10k. My co-worker just bought a brand new Speed Concept for less than $4k. I’ve seen used 7.5’s transact for $2k or less. No need to update brakes or cockpits on one of those; with a decent set of wheels that platform is at least as fast as anything out there. If you’re really budget conscious, throw an aerojacket on the stock 50mm rear wheel and run the front as-is, and your still in the ballpark.

Can you get the same adjustability with integrated front end?

Depends what you mean by "adjustability." There's a fairly broad range of fits you can achieve. But changes aren't easy, to say the least. It's probably not a bike to buy if you're still in the "fit experimentation phase." If you know your fit, though, and only need to set it up once, and want Superbike aero for a lower-mid-range bike price, it's a no brainer.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 19, 19 16:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
It's probably not a bike to buy if you're still in the "fit experimentation phase."

That never ends... at least not for me..;) Easy adjustability is super important.
Quote Reply
Re: Building superbike on budget [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run 25s on my 2014 NP3. Matter of fact I can go 28 in the rear - at least with the Conti 4000s 2nd gen. Inflated to about 82/87.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig is finalizing a universal cover currently. That along with...Alpha One, Omegas, Styx, Flo 60/disc, and GP5000s/latex and whatever newer frame should be pretty competitive (I scooped up a new QR PR3 frame for $700).
Quote Reply
Re: Building superbike on budget [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a used scott plasma 5 with 11S sram red for 2500$, if you want a superbike for a low price just buy one used :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main reason of thinking about Cervelo is I know my fit exactly due to riding one for 4 years and every year getting a retul fit to continue to refine my position. I know frame size and etc. some measurements will change a hair due to going towards a high hand position I’m sure but there will be little guessing on my limits on reach/stack and etc. I know there may be better bikes and etc. I guess it’s tunnel vision, I’ve road Cervelo for years and never had any issues and I know my fit measurements
Quote Reply