Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sore hip flexors when running
Quote | Reply
I start to have pain in my hip flexors once I get to about mile 7. It's not enough to make me stop but it gets a little annoying. The only theory I can come up with is that I once I cross that mark, I start to fatigue and run more upright, which will stretch them more. This usually only happens on flat or downhill runs, therefore I'm thinking a little more bend in my waist may help (like when running hills). Unfortunately I have put core training aside but think I will probably have to do some more to help support my upper body bending more. Has anyone had any issues with this or can anyone give me a little insight to what else it could be if that isn't true? Thanks!

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Sore hip flexors when running [jeepguy2358] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm dealing with the same issue on my right side though mine was crippling there for two weeks. I went to the chiro who said my glute medius is so tight it is pulling my hips out of place and wrecking my whole pelvic girdle. It even looks like I am pronating on my right side but it is actually due to my tight hips/glute. The solution is to stretch the heck out of your glutes, low back and hips and use a lacrosse ball to get the knots out of your hips/glute. Once you have loosened up strengthening is key with clamshells and crab walks. Good luck, hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i currently have the exact same problem with a 30 km race this weekend. my hip flexor started aching after my last long run. usually when it happens its because i've been slacking on my core. one good trick is to do a plank and lift the opposite leg of the sore hip flexor. so if my left hip flexor is sore, I lift my right foot up so all my body weight is on my left side

a visit to the chiro and some ART helped out a lot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a trigger point ball and release the muscle. Works wonders. Do its a few times a day for a week and you are most likely will feel 100% better. There are demonstrations online. I sometimes get tight hip flexors when I overstride.
Last edited by: Etexag: Mar 25, 17 18:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fatigue and more upright? Upright isn't ideal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the above rolling comments. In addition, aggressively roll your quads and ITB. Remember that one of the four quad muscles crosses the hip, effectively acting as a hip flexor. If the quads are loaded with adhesions your hip and / or knee will eventually feel the effects from it. The small Orb ball, a softball and the rumble roller are my preferred quad rollers. Re: stretching, the couch stretch is the best for the hip and upper quads. Place the affected side knee into the corner of a chair or couch, with the unaffected side foot on the floor. Then make yourself tall from the knee to rib cage and feel the length through the whole front area. Then just fine tune with a little rotation away from the affected side. This stretch is great for identifying length / tightness imbalances from one side to the other as well. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies! My doc said basically to roll and stretch more (entire hip area including quads) and also add glute strengthening and activating. Read a good article about deactivating your hip flexors which should get your glutes to fire as well.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm currently having the same issue on my right side. I've been doing a lot more stretching and rolling. Rolling my glutes and rear hip I've noticed crazy soreness. As well I've noticed my quads are tight as a drum. I'm thinking weak glutes and hammys. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of stretching moving forward.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore hip flexors when running [Johnny21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnny21 wrote:
Agree with the above rolling comments. In addition, aggressively roll your quads and ITB. Remember that one of the four quad muscles crosses the hip, effectively acting as a hip flexor. If the quads are loaded with adhesions your hip and / or knee will eventually feel the effects from it. The small Orb ball, a softball and the rumble roller are my preferred quad rollers. Re: stretching, the couch stretch is the best for the hip and upper quads. Place the affected side knee into the corner of a chair or couch, with the unaffected side foot on the floor. Then make yourself tall from the knee to rib cage and feel the length through the whole front area. Then just fine tune with a little rotation away from the affected side. This stretch is great for identifying length / tightness imbalances from one side to the other as well. Good luck.

Thanks for the insights, very helpful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strengthen your hips and glutes.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply