Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another ex-pro cyclist has a crack at triathlon
Quote | Reply
Nicolas Dougall (Dimension Data) made today his debut in IM 70.3. He finished 6th with the following splits:
- Swim: 00:25:46
- Bike: 2:19:49
- Run: 01:23:50
Total: 04:13:23
At 26 years old, do you think he has a big future in the sport?
Quote Reply
Re: Another ex-pro cyclist has a crack at triathlon [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Define "big"
Quote Reply
Post deleted by RowToTri [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: RowToTri: May 19, 19 11:26
Re: Another ex-pro cyclist has a crack at triathlon [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Not a strong bike split for a pro tour cyclist....

edit, and for the AG swim, which was what, 1300 yards and downstream.... For an AG'er he had a good bike/run. Does he plan to be pro?

it's a solid split for that course, which is neither flat nor fast. quickest split by a couple of minutes, anyway.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

edit, and for the AG swim, which was what, 1300 yards and downstream.... For an AG'er he had a good bike/run. Does he plan to be pro?

It was IM 70.3 Barcelona. He raced in the pro category. Turns out he won the 2009 16-19 age group Sprint ITU Worlds. Bart Aernouts won with 00:27:22/02:21:34/01:12:29 (04:05:07) and David McNamee came in second 00:23:19/02:25:22/01:14:28 (04:06:36). He rode his last World Tour race in October and it looks like he only started swimming and running again after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

For both your points, he had the fastest bike split of the day, a couple minutes faster than Bart Aernouts, so the conditions may not have been fast. And Aernouts is also a former pro cyclist and no slouch on the bike.

Only on slowtwitch is the fastest time of the day in a 70.3 "not a strong bike split." :)

He finished 6th out of 30 pro men.

That's not a bad introduction to pro triathlon.
Last edited by: trail: May 19, 19 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Another ex-pro cyclist has a crack at triathlon [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

For both your points, he had the fastest bike split of the day, a couple minutes faster than Bart Aernouts, so the conditions may not have been fast. And Aernouts is also a former pro cyclist and no slouch on the bike. mostly).

My bad... I assumed we were talking about Chattanooga.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Another ex-pro cyclist has a crack at triathlon [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my mistake... I thought we were talking about Chattanooga.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
while reading the headline I thought this was about Ruben Zepuntke who gave his pro-70.3 debut at Challenge Heilbronn this weekend, also 26 years old.

3. Ruben Zepuntke (GER) 3:50:55 S 25:11 T1 3:58 B 2:00:49 T2 2L 2:22 R 1:18:34

funny enough another ex-cannondale pro following Wurf and Talansky.

Do Nicolas and Ruben have a big future? Well, I think in both cases too early to tell, but as a cycling fan alway interesting to follow the progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

For both your points, he had the fastest bike split of the day, a couple minutes faster than Bart Aernouts, so the conditions may not have been fast. And Aernouts is also a former pro cyclist and no slouch on the bike.

Only on slowtwitch is the fastest time of the day in a 70.3 "not a strong bike split." :)

And he 'Only' finished 8 min back of one of the guys who went sub 8 at Kona. I'd say he's got the potential to be a really good long course pro given that bike split on that course.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 19, 19 16:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cxrider wrote:
Nicolas Dougall (Dimension Data) made today his debut in IM 70.3. He finished 6th with the following splits:
- Swim: 00:25:46
- Bike: 2:19:49
- Run: 01:23:50
Total: 04:13:23
At 26 years old, do you think he has a big future in the sport?

Nic was doing triathlons well before he switched to cycling and he was quite good then.
Quote Reply
Re: Another ex-pro cyclist has a crack at triathlon [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim was solid, great bike to be expected. If he can work on that run he should be right up there.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Like all of your points, especially "only on slowtwitch..."

Given the info supplied by the OP and what we can look up, it's rather unfair to the person to be making judgements about how "big" they will be. The opinions say more about us rather than the athlete and their performance.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Another ex-pro cyclist has a crack at triathlon [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Swim was solid, great bike to be expected. If he can work on that run he should be right up there.
Agreed... all but the run he was in the mix for the podium. The question is what sort of run capability does he have?
Quote Reply
Re: Another ex-pro cyclist has a crack at triathlon [BummTschack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BummTschack wrote:
funny enough another ex-cannondale pro following Wurf and Talansky.

Given EF's commitment to "alternative races" this year...maybe they should start a tri-team. It would give TJ more races to explode in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Bart Aernouts (the former pro cyclist) is a different person than Bart Aernouts (the triathlete). The triathlete was never a pro cyclist as far as I know.
Quote Reply
Re: Another ex-pro cyclist has a crack at triathlon [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:

Bart Aernouts (the former pro cyclist) is a different person than Bart Aernouts (the triathlete). The triathlete was never a pro cyclist as far as I know.

Doh! That's what I get for being a cyclist in a tri forum. Thanks for the correction.
Last edited by: trail: May 20, 19 7:15
Quote Reply
Re: Another ex-pro cyclist has a crack at triathlon [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

Agreed... all but the run he was in the mix for the podium. The question is what sort of run capability does he have?

I would say without even seeing what he looks like, his run potential is unlimited at this point. Being an ex pro cyclist, probably doesnt look like Starky, and 1;23 is a solid effort so early his career. He has a Talansky type swim, so potential to make the lead group there too, with some time and pool work. And nice to see that bike split, a lot of these guys that move over, end up slowing way down on the bike to survive the other two events.

I would say best debut of a pro cyclist since he who shall not be mentioned. And that was not a debut, but a return.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And if he had biked any harder, no doubt everyone would call him out for overbiking!!
Quote Reply
Re: Another ex-pro cyclist has a crack at triathlon [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
And if he had biked any harder, no doubt everyone would call him out for overbiking!!

Man we're slipping on ST. Not only did he overbike (beat Bart Aernouts), but he also over swam (also beating Bart). As former ITU junior, I assume this guy can run once he gets the pacing dialed in on race day on the first 2 sports and gets more miles under his legs with the running shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Another ex-pro cyclist has a crack at triathlon [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dougall confirmed he’ll race a Ventum One; a bicycle which, according to data collected and analyzed by IRONMAN in 2016-2017 “saw athletes finish the cycling component of the race an average of 18 minutes faster than competitors.â€

18 free minutes ...wheee!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Another ex-pro cyclist has a crack at triathlon [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh dear...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply