Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel choice, asking for a friend
Quote | Reply
NO, really I am asking for a friend. My mother in law qualified for 70.3 WC in Nice. She has decided she is going to get race wheels now that she has qualified. She is a small lady around 5'1 115lbs. She will also use these in other races, obviously. That being said what depth should she go with on her bike? 40 up front 60 on rear? 60 on front in rear? Other thoughts and reasonings for choices?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel choice, asking for a friend [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My partner is about the same height and weighs even less. She rides a rear disc in every weather. Up front, she rides a 50mm which is fine in basically every situation. There are many situations where we feel she could get away with a deeper wheel (she would like to steal my 75mm front...) but given our one-racewheel-per-person limitation, the 50 is good in practically every situation for her.

If we had an unlimited budget, the new Bontrager XXX 4 looks amazing. At a more limited budget, look at the likes of FLO's 45mm, Bontrager's Aeolus Comp 5, etc.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel choice, asking for a friend [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. She has an in with HED. So she will be getting HEDs. I forgot to mention that in my original post. Her biggest concern is stability. I have told her that wheels have come a long ways and they are more stable for sure. Would the trispoke be an option too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would PM Andy Tetmeyer through the forum. He is HED’s digital liaison and very knowledgeable. Dropping the “in with HED” and Nice jquakification might tease him enough to respond. He is very helpful.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...name=andy%20tetmeyer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc on the rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lonniecdams wrote:
NO, really I am asking for a friend. My mother in law qualified for 70.3 WC in Nice. She has decided she is going to get race wheels now that she has qualified. She is a small lady around 5'1 115lbs. She will also use these in other races, obviously. That being said what depth should she go with on her bike? 40 up front 60 on rear? 60 on front in rear? Other thoughts and reasonings for choices?

HED Jet Blacks will be perfect for Nice. Braking may be more a concern than wind. Especially if it is wet. 6f 9r prolly fine. A disc in back is prolly fine too. But the course has a significant, sustained climb in it - over an hour long, even for stronger riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of discount does she get with HED?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel choice, asking for a friend [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Disc on the rear.

Yes.

A big misconception about discs is wind. I didn't believe it until I trained on one in the wind for a while. It somehow helps keep you going straighter in the wind than other stuff out back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea what discount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m slightly taller (I never get to say that) and lighter and am very comfortable with HED 60s front and rear - wouldn’t bother with 40s.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mother in law ... friend?!?!? I'm confused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was asking about the discount because there are several sales throughout the year that might be better priced than getting a deal directly from HED.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel choice, asking for a friend [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poor attempt at being funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know I will find out.
Quote Reply