Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kudos to Maine
Quote | Reply
"Maine's Governor has signed a bill making the state the first to prohibit public school, colleges and universities from using Native American symbols as mascots"

https://www.cnn.com/...ve-american-mascots/

a much longer shot but wouldn't mind Washington to follow.

The team originated as the Boston Braves, based in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1932, under the ownership of George Preston Marshall.[8] At the time the team played in Braves Field, home of the Boston Braves baseball team in the National League. The following year, the club moved to Fenway Park, home of the American League's Boston Red Sox, whereupon owners changed the team's name to "Boston Redskins." To round out the change, Marshall hired William "Lone Star" Dietz, who was thought to be part Sioux, as the team's head coach.[9] However, Boston wasn't much of a football town at the time and the team had difficulty drawing fans.
The Redskins relocated south from New England after five years to the national capital of Washington, D.C...
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
"Maine's Governor has signed a bill making the state the first to prohibit public school, colleges and universities from using Native American symbols as mascots"

The team originated as the Boston Braves, based in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1932, under the ownership of George Preston Marshall.[8] At the time the team played in Braves Field, home of the Boston Braves baseball team in the National League. The following year, the club moved to Fenway Park, home of the American League's Boston Red Sox, whereupon owners changed the team's name to "Boston Redskins." To round out the change, Marshall hired William "Lone Star" Dietz, who was thought to be part Sioux, as the team's head coach.[9] However, Boston wasn't much of a football town at the time and the team had difficulty drawing fans.
The Redskins relocated south from New England after five years to the national capital of Washington, D.C...

Sad... My daughter goes to Central Michigan Univ. The Chippewas.. named after a local tribe. The tribe is very involved with the university, they hold events throughout the school year. The kids are educated about appropriate and inappropriate face painting, and hand gestures. Its a great relationship and gets more people to learn about the first residents of those lands.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next will be the important ban on using animals as mascots.
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

The San Francisco Soy Boys

Minnesota Vegans

LA Gluten Frees

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
b4itwascold wrote:

Sad... My daughter goes to Central Michigan Univ. The Chippewas.. named after a local tribe. The tribe is very involved with the university, they hold events throughout the school year. The kids are educated about appropriate and inappropriate face painting, and hand gestures. Its a great relationship and gets more people to learn about the first residents of those lands.

This. My schools mascot was named after the local Seneca tribe. Very much the same way, involved and it the name was to honor them. They even had the medicine man paint the basketball court logo to make sure the headdress was correct. Few years later NCAA cracked down on the names.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

Na id say mythical creatures is next. Like the st. Louis Billiken.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

This.

BTW, I travel to Mount Pleasant at least 2-3 times per year for one of my clients. I really enjoy Central Michigan University. Also, I love the "new" hotel that overlooks the football field.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you're going to discriminate against schools and tribes that have working relationships?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: May 18, 19 19:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both my son and daughter are Central alum.

Me, I'm a Bulldog and a Bronco (Ferris State & Western).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder how long the UMass Minutemen have - their mascot has a gun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully, the criminals won’t get banned. Yuma Union HS Criminals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
b4itwascold wrote:

Its a Maine business.
from the article:
"While Indian mascots were often originally chosen to recognize and honor a school's unique connection to Native American communities in Maine, we have heard clearly and unequivocally from Maine tribes that they are a source of pain and anguish,"

"Ambassador Maulian Dana of the Penobscot Nation said she has been fighting to change Native American mascots since she was a teenager."

Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So you're going to discriminate against schools and tribes that have working relationships?

see my reply to Dave. I am not arguing that Central MI should do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then if it's a State issue, which it is. Why make a sweeping ignorant statement at the top?

Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Wonder how long the UMass Minutemen have - their mascot has a gun.

apparently there were discussions to change it. Not just the gun. This Mascot thing is a whole world by itself.

http://scua.library.umass.edu/...oku.php?id=m:mascots
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Fighting Whities

Be Uncommon
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [ZimZam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZimZam wrote:
The Fighting Whities

I prefer The Amazon Shorties
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

we should all used Mascots that reference flowers, veggies, fruits (passion) health products. anything that will get us closer to nature and better people.....
How about: The UMass Artichokes
Quote Reply
Re: Kudos to Maine [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why not reading the damn article first? but I get your point/

what do you think about the Redskins, a pro sport franchise. There were talk on that for quite sometime. I say it boils down to money. Same way that public schools rely on funding from the state.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this juncture I don't see the Redskins changing their moniker. And I really really don't care about it. I don't get mad at SDSU having the Aztecs as a mascot...even though there were no Aztecs in Southern California...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
the anteaters

Be Uncommon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UC Irvine. The Anteaters. (Zots!). Blasphemy.

#animallivesmatter
Last edited by: JD21: May 18, 19 21:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
...they are a source of pain and anguish...

Oh fuck off with that bullshit.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZimZam wrote:
The Fighting Whities

Nicely played.

The Fighting Whites were an intramural basketball team formed at the University of Northern Colorado in 2002 and named in response to the Native American mascot controversy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZimZam wrote:
The Fighting Whities

The Mighty Arabs

Coachella Valley High School officially changed its school mascot to "the Mighty Arabs,"

I am into this.
Quote Reply

Prev Next