Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Confusing drainage sump question
Quote | Reply
So four yards conver at a point (think four corners of the US). At that point is a storm drain. Said storm drain has a pipe connected to my drain tile (if someone can explain a drain tile better than the internet I'm all ears since it seems to be a pipe with holes buried in rocks). It appears then this water flows from my drain tile to the city storm system (I have a sump pump, does that mean my sump is doing all the work or is it just kinda flowing directly). Evidently the storm drain pipe that connects to my tile backed up the last few big rains causing some standing water before finally flowing through. My neighbors have offered to pay to rod the pipe that leads to my tile which they with the former owners. Should I let them?
Quote Reply
Re: Confusing drainage sump question [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not?

I would make sure whoever did it has a newer rig that has a camera that can show a blockage. We have a similar setup in our backyard, water converges from the neighborhood in my yard and the neighbors yards at the bottom where there are a few storm drains that take the water through creeks/pipes to a larger pond then into the Dupage river. When we get a lot of rain all that backs up and I can end up with several feet of water in my backyard that usually subsides about an hour after it stops raining. It's more of a situation that the water has no place to go, so it goes where it can, than a blockage in the pipes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check with the White House, they are in the middle of a big swamp draining project right now. Probably get some good advice.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Confusing drainage sump question [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ECE wrote:
Why not?

I would make sure whoever did it has a newer rig that has a camera that can show a blockage. We have a similar setup in our backyard, water converges from the neighborhood in my yard and the neighbors yards at the bottom where there are a few storm drains that take the water through creeks/pipes to a larger pond then into the Dupage river. When we get a lot of rain all that backs up and I can end up with several feet of water in my backyard that usually subsides about an hour after it stops raining. It's more of a situation that the water has no place to go, so it goes where it can, than a blockage in the pipes.

I'm worried it will overtax my drainage system and if it gets broken somehow, I'll have to pay to replace it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have your system scoped. That does not tax the system and will show any problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it will overtax anything. The broken part is why you want the guy with the camera rig instead of just the older school guy that just starts rodding out the drain with nothing in there except clean pipe.
Quote Reply
Re: Confusing drainage sump question [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Have your system scoped. That does not tax the system and will show any problems.

I meant cleaning it out so water flows freely into my drain tile. I don't want my fucking basement wet so yards are dry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
;)

I just meant they can run a camera through the whole thing to see what the issue is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water flows down hill.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your sump really only produces enough pressure head to get water back up to grade/into your drain tile. Gravity works from there. The storm drain your tile connects to is effectively another sump, that gravity drains to the storm sewer system.

It sounds like the concern should be the drainage out of the storm drain, not your tile.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Confusing drainage sump question [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

This. Without a scope, you're just guessing as to what the problem is.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Confusing drainage sump question [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Water flows down hill.
Do you know the only 2 things you have to know to be a plumber?

Shit flows downhill a0nd payday is on Friday.
Quote Reply
Re: Confusing drainage sump question [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you all don't think this will swamp my tile drain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

What you're describing sounds like a French drain-pipe with holes and buried in gravel.

Are you uphill or downhill from the storm sewer tie in?
Quote Reply
Re: Confusing drainage sump question [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
windywave wrote:

What you're describing sounds like a French drain-pipe with holes and buried in gravel.

Are you uphill or downhill from the storm sewer tie in?

Definetly not a French drain. It has a manhole cover like a storm sewer. The pipes and gravel i mentioned is what the internets told me a drain tile is. Not on a hill no elevation to speak of but I'd have to say the house seems higher than the yard.
Quote Reply
Re: Confusing drainage sump question [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Water flows down hill.
Do you know the only 2 things you have to know to be a plumber?

Shit flows downhill a0nd payday is on Friday.

No, 3 things to know (as told by my plumber friend).

The two above and don't lick your fingers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

I'm not sure how running a tiny camera through the drain system could cause any problems at all.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any idea how far the run is from the sump to the tile? If the tile surrounds your house, then I would have concerns. If it's a distance away then likely not a problem.

Our sump pipe leads to a culvert 50 feet from our foundation. But we also have a tile system surrounding our basement. We had a leak several years ago because the sump and tile couldn't keep up with the heavy spring rainfall and snow melting.

Unless the tile is downhill or there's a decent buffer between the tile and your house, I'd be worried the neighbours' yard drainage could overwhelm your tile and end up with a flooded basement.
Quote Reply
Re: Confusing drainage sump question [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:

I'm not sure how running a tiny camera through the drain system could cause any problems at all.

Yes, and if any polyps are found they can be cauterized immediately and you'll never know the difference.
Quote Reply