Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Alabama - derp! - bans abortion... [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I was going to say that you can't win a debate by simply repeatedly mocking something, but then realized who our President is. So, good for you. Good for Blep.

People get pregnant.
They cry.
That trumps facts, science, reality, etc.
Especially if you mock it.

I’m not really sure why you’re saying this to me. I’m ok with infanticide being legal in some cases.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Alabama - derp! - bans abortion... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was your mocking of the “clump of cells”

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
It was your mocking of the “clump of cells”

Oh, sorry. I won’t joke around with BLeP anymore.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The beautiful thing about the abortion debate is that you get to be passive aggressive with both sides. Its like the best of both worlds for you.

Quote Reply
Re: Alabama - derp! - bans abortion... [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
Duffy wrote:
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Not exactly the same point, but kinda close...

Have you ever tried to adopt through the foster care system?

We have. Of all the horrible shit that has happened in our l lives this was far and away the worst experience either of us have ever had. The idea of emotionally recovering form what we went through is utterly absurd.

This meme was clearly made by someone who doesn’t have the slightest clue.

There are millions of people waiting to adopt right now.

The lack of kids being adopted through the foster system has nothing to do whatsoever with a lack of demand for adoption.

That MEME is again a typical BS stereotype talking point of the pro-abortion crowd. My sister is ardently pro-life and has adopted 2 kids from the foster care system and fostered 4 others, along with her own kids.

Sorry about your experience with the foster care system. The children she adopted were given up immediately after birth by their crack head parents so she has had them since they were born. Those kids won the lottery.

Stop being fucking stupid.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
The beautiful thing about the abortion debate is that you get to be passive aggressive with both sides. Its like the best of both worlds for you.

I think you’re misinterpreting my posts here. All I’m trying to do is see where people stand and how they arrive at that position.

I don’t have an answer and I’m not really passing judgement on the answers being put forth.

I’m the cases where I’m poking people a bit the purpose isn’t passive aggression it’s to get a better understanding of that persons position and how they come to think how they think.

What’s really good about this subject for me is that I get to make jokes about abortion.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I don’t have an answer and I’m not really passing judgement on the answers being put forth.

yeah. you were. your "clumps of cells" jokes were sneering, particular toward someone who did have this procedure. this is your typical schtick. act boorishly toward women, say your wife read what you wrote and agrees with you, so you're absolved from how you treat others.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Alabama - derp! - bans abortion... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Duffy wrote:

yeah. you were. your "clumps of cells" jokes were sneering, particular toward someone who did have this procedure. this is your typical schtick. act boorishly toward women, say your wife read what you wrote and agrees with you, so you're absolved from how you treat others.

I’m actually intrigued with the idea that if a pregnancy is wanted then that clump of cells is considered a baby and if it isn’t wanted it’s just a clump of cells. I don’t know if that’s right or wrong, it’s just an interesting thought problem.

As far the jokes go, I was joking with BLeP.

Also, I don’t believe that asking tough questions of someone who happens to be a woman is any more or less “boorish” then asking tough questions to a man.

I live under the assumption that women can handle themselves just fine.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I’m actually intrigued with the idea that if a pregnancy is wanted then that clump of cells is considered a baby and if it isn’t wanted it’s just a clump of cells. I don’t know if that’s right or wrong, it’s just an interesting thought problem.

Also, I don’t believe that asking tough questions of someone who happens to be a woman is any more or less “boorish” then asking tough questions to a man.

Either way it's a clump of cells. A woman stating "I'm going to have a baby" is not the same as "this clump of cells is a baby."

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Alabama - derp! - bans abortion... [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Either way it's a clump of cells. A woman stating "I'm going to have a baby" is not the same as "this clump of cells is a baby."

Well the reason this came up for me was ironclm post to BLeP’s comment about the miscarriage of “a clump of cells” and how bad it felt, the implication that it was akin to losing a baby.

Ironclm’s response focused on the issue of want, which to me implied that if this clump of cells is “wanted” then it is a life, a human life.

If it’s not wanted it’s just a clump of cells.

I asked ironclm to clarify (or as slowman says, I “acted boorishly”) but ironclm has not yes responded.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Alabama - derp! - bans abortion... [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

True. And to add on:

If they THINK its a baby, it doesn't make it a baby.
If they have a strong emotional attachment to it, that doesn't change what it is.

And I also want to add, just because it is clump of cells, it doesn't trivialize a person's feelings about their pregnancy. When I say, "Its a clump pf cells," I'm stating an objective fact. I'm not saying that someone is stupid for being distraught about a lost pregnancy.

And MOST importantly, we can't shift the dialogue. Just because someone is sad about losing THEIR zygote or fetus, doesn't mean that it justifies legislating someone else's zygote or fetus because of feelings you had about your own pregnancy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Duffy wrote:

what i might recommend is that if you're going to joke with BLeP at someone else's expense, you do it via PM, and not in front of the person at who's expense the joke is made.

no problem asking tough questions. the problem is when it's not asking, but sneering. also, it's a little different when you aren't the affected cohort. it's theoretical for you. it's academic. if you're an affected party, it's not academic. and no, you're not "affected" in any way close to the way a woman is affected. so your "tough" questions should be asked with the acknowledgement that you're mostly a spectator in this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

True. And to add on:

If they have a strong emotional attachment to it, that doesn't change what it is.

And I also want to add, just because it is clump of cells, it doesn't trivialize a person's feelings about their pregnancy. When I say, "Its a clump pf cells," I'm stating an objective fact. I'm not saying that someone is stupid for being distraught about a lost pregnancy.

And MOST importantly, we can't shift the dialogue. Just because someone is sad about losing THEIR zygote or fetus, doesn't mean that it justifies legislating someone else's zygote or fetus because of feelings you had about your own pregnancy.

So your view on this is mainly a clinical/scientific view (which I already knew and largely agree with) but unfortunately that opens up the $64 question...

At what point does that clump of cells become human?

Is it somewhere along a continuum?

Is it a specific point during pregnancy?

Is it at birth?

Is at some point after birth?

Again, I only ask because I’m interested in what people think.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

True. And to add on:

So your view on this is mainly a clinical/scientific view (which I already knew and largely agree with) but unfortunately that opens up the $64 question...

At what point does that clump of cells become human?

Is it somewhere along a continuum?

Is it a specific point during pregnancy?

Is it at birth?

Is at some point after birth?

Hey this post seems similar to me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Duffy wrote:

what i might recommend is that if you're going to joke with BLeP at someone else's expense, you do it via PM, and not in front of the person at who's expense the joke is made.

no problem asking tough questions. the problem is when it's not asking, but sneering. also, it's a little different when you aren't the affected cohort. it's theoretical for you. it's academic. if you're an affected party, it's not academic. and no, you're not "affected" in any way close to the way a woman is affected. so your "tough" questions should be asked with the acknowledgement that you're mostly a spectator in this.

Oh, so women are exempt from being asked to clarify things?

And again my joking with BLeP was in response to WHAT BLEP SAID. There’s no woman (I assume you’re talking about ironclm) that was the butt of that.

As for being “affected” o can assure you that I have been profoundly affected by this issue. I’ve been there in the clinic on three occasions, once with my girlfriend and twice with my sister.

Also, my very own son survived an attempted abortion.

Is that different than what women deal with? Of course.

But it’s rather ignorant and callous of you to trivialize it.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Oh, so women are exempt from being asked to clarify things?

And again my joking with BLeP was in response to WHAT BLEP SAID. There’s no woman (I assume you’re talking about ironclm) that was the butt of that.

As for being “affected” o can assure you that I have been profoundly affected by this issue. I’ve been there in the clinic on three occasions, once with my girlfriend and twice with my sister.

Also, my very own son survived an attempted abortion.

Is that different than what women deal with? Of course.

But it’s rather ignorant and callous of you to trivialize it.

i agree with you. you shouldn't trivialize it. joke about it. esp at others' expense. esp when they're reading two guys joking about it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re really appearing to be of the mind that the poor little dames are too fragile to stick up for themselves and need a man like you to white knight on their behalf.

It’s a bad look.

Most of the women I know can take care of themselves and for the ones who do need help it’s not because of their gender.

But hey good on you, cowboy, for always coming to the defense of (what you apparently consider to be) the weaker sex.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
You’re really appearing to be of the mind that the poor little dames are too fragile to stick up for themselves and need a man like you to white knight on their behalf.

It’s a bad look.

Most of the women I know can take care of themselves and for the ones who do need help it’s not because of their gender.

But hey good on you, cowboy, for always coming to the defense of (what you apparently consider to be) the weaker sex.

you've been told a number of times your jokes were in very poor form. now you're trying to turn it around, avoid responsibility, make yourself the victim. if past is prologue we'll start hearing about the women in your life who agree with you, who give you permission to write whatever you want, damn the consequences. i don't care. you can fail to learn, fail to identify a blind spot, fail to grow, remain in place.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Duffy wrote:

It’s a bad look.

you've been told a number of times your jokes were in very poor form. now you're trying to turn it around, avoid responsibility, make yourself the victim. if past is prologue we'll start hearing about the women in your life who agree with you, who give you permission to write whatever you want, damn the consequences. i don't care. you can fail to learn, fail to identify a blind spot, fail to grow, remain in place.

Now you’re just making stuff up.

Keep fighting the good fight, Sir Lancealot...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

It’s a bad look.

Weak, Duffy, and transparent to eveybody here. Everybody except you, I suspect. In your own words from a previous unprovoked and pointless personal attack you made earlier in this thread (#201) "Thanks for sharing. This post gives great insight into your psyche. "
Last edited by: oldandslow: May 17, 19 12:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

It a sin if it is done without a very good reason, but the severity of the sin increases the longer you wait. At 120 days the fetus becomes a person per classical Islamic jurists (based on Hadith and Quran), and all classic jurists agree at that point abortion is not allowed. Up until then as it goes through different stages, different schools either allow or do not. My independent thoughts align pretty well with that....it is deplorable at any time but the earlier the better.

I'm very curious, if there are any pro-life atheists, or even any that feel the law should set a timeline on abortion, how they ground this position?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Duffy wrote:

It’s a bad look.

Well done Duffy. You’ve gone full

What’s next? Call him a cuck?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Alabama - derp! - bans abortion... [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Thanks for sharing. This post gives great insight into your psyche. "

Read those words out loud to yourself without a bit of sarcasm.

Say like you’d say thanks to someone who just made you a sandwich.

It wasn’t a personal attack.

Unbelievable how many people here are reading into shit that’s just not there.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Alabama - derp! - bans abortion... [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
Quote:

It a sin if it is done without a very good reason, but the severity of the sin increases the longer you wait. At 120 days the fetus becomes a person per classical Islamic jurists (based on Hadith and Quran), and all classic jurists agree at that point abortion is not allowed. Up until then as it goes through different stages, different schools either allow or do not. My independent thoughts align pretty well with that....it is deplorable at any time but the earlier the better.

I'm very curious, if there are any pro-life atheists, or even any that feel the law should set a timeline on abortion, how they ground this position?

Thanks for stating a religious perspective. I was asking Barry his thoughts from the scientific perspective.

As for atheist pro-lifers I know of at least two.

My wife is atheist and is against abortion. She wasn’t always but in recent years changed her mind.

I disagree with her on this and we’re able to discuss our disagreements, sometimes heated, and she doesn’t need slowman to stick up for her.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Alabama - derp! - bans abortion... [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Duffy wrote:

It’s a bad look.

Well done Duffy. You’ve gone full

What’s next? Call him a cuck?

Quite the opposite. Slowman is a real man. He’s not some sissy soy boi (like you). He comes on here to save all the poor little dames when they get all faint or hysterical. He’s no cuck. He’s a mans man.

Not like me. I have the pussy weak man idea that women are equally equipped to handle things and don’t need those masculine men for protection. I know I know, not very manly of me.

Slowman should change his name Marlboro Man.

PS: I could insult you and “make jokes at your expense” all day long and slowman wouldn’t say shit.

Because you’re a man. That’s a pretty good indicator of how he thinks about women. He sees them as weak.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: May 17, 19 13:48
Quote Reply

Prev Next