Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bontrager Speed Concept water bottle cage
Quote | Reply
Does anybody seen or used one of these? The description says that an SRM adapter is included. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out if a wired SRM head unit (Powercontrol V) would fit on this.

http://store.trekbikes.com/...water+bottle+cage.do

Thanks.

Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Speed Concept water bottle cage [rkling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just guessing, but it looks to me like that bean shaped piece is a bit of rubber that fits to make a handlebar tube sized section, so that you can mount your accessory the same way you would mount it to a handlebar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, a wired SRM would fit as it is just as above described. Standard sized round piece of plastic you could fit any mount to. BTW my LBS told me not to buy it as they felt t was not well designed. We used a Glen Alden tt BTA mount instead.

Primum Non Nocere, except to Kempy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe it's what Matt Lieto runs on his SC. Herbert just posted some photos today: http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._SC_9_Team_4231.html

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Speed Concept water bottle cage [Jeff B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did your LBS mention any specific concerns about the design?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Speed Concept water bottle cage [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl, sorry but store manager said there were complaints and to use my Glen Alden mount instead. I wish I had asked specifics. Next time I see her I will ask.

Primum Non Nocere, except to Kempy!
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Speed Concept water bottle cage [Jeff B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zero problems to report with mine. Other than the price, I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the cage+mount but have no plans on using the cage. I prefer the Speedfil Z4 cage.

So if you don't need the mount, I'm willing to sell the cage.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Speed Concept water bottle cage [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but I was looking for a better way for mounting the Power Control than I currently have. The cage isn't my concern.
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Speed Concept water bottle cage [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That's where I saw it. However, looks like he is running a Garmin head unit (or something similarly shaped), and the SRM fits quite a bit differently
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rkling wrote:
Thanks, but I was looking for a better way for mounting the Power Control than I currently have. The cage isn't my concern.

I also have this:

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Speed Concept water bottle cage [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is unlikely that will fit the wired Power Control head unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wired power control unit doesn't fit on 31.8 diameter bars?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't have to do with fitting onto the handlebar. It's the clamp into which the Power Control plugs. It is pretty bulky, so the mounts like the X-lab torpedo (and likely the one shown above) don't work, because the Power Control clamp won't fit between the arms of the mount. The other part of the problem is that the wire attaches on the backside of the unit, so it needs some clearance behind it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The clamp section of our mount is 25mm wide between the support arms...the older SRM bands do look pretty wide (PC5 example here), but that's an easy measurement to check on yours. I can't find one here at the moment.

As for wiring interference, I'm looking at that example I linked to above and thinking if anyone would have an interference issue it'd be that guy...not on our mount where the entire back of the PC unit would be out in space. Still, that was a PC5...so here's a pic of a PC4 which appears to confirm my suspicion: once you've got it mounted, the wiring port is unlikely to be obstructed because it looks like it's well forward of the mount receiver on the head unit.

Arm interference caused by the offset nature of their clamp-to-head design...that might be a real concern. Our mount sits low enough that your arms will hide most computers from a side view.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My original question was asked because I do have a PowerControl 5. Yes, the clamp is large (I measured it out to be 23 mm wide) and the wiring port is in a different location than the 4; it is just forward of the attachment point.

I was hoping to determine whether it was worth trying to get this cage and computer mount without requiring my LBS to order one in just to find out if it would fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the band wouldn't be a problem, and the attachment point is going to be out in space. The arm clearance is what still makes we wonder, since our mount is centered on the extension and SRM designed their PC units to be mounted offset from the center.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a question Carl. I just bought the Speed Concept Water Bottle Cage from Trek´s online store (http://store.trekbikes.com/...Picks&refType=4#). Question: is the monoextension mount (see picture) already included with the cage?

Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Speed Concept water bottle cage [aariasz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Includes everything you see in the picture @ the link you provided plus the spacers for the rail (not pictured).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for your fast response. Outstanding service!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl. I tried to buy just the mount today but it is sold out... do you happen to know when they are supposed to be back in stock?

thanks much!

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Speed Concept water bottle cage [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're always sold out, lol. Village Cycle never has them (see you're in Chicago). I got mine from Element Multisport. Also check ebay. Love mine, solid as a rock.
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Speed Concept water bottle cage [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Estimate I'm seeing for domestic warehouses is a little over a month from now.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl!

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Speed Concept water bottle cage [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a picture of how to mount the garmin on this? The rounded surface has me wondering how to mount it in a stable positon that won't move around over bumps, etc. Probably just need to see what it actually looks like and Trek doesn't have those images on the website.

Thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next