Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
PGA Championship
Quote | Reply
Good first day, Koepka is looking good.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: PGA Championship [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked him first in my golf pool. A guy like that shooting 63 in the first round is going to make it difficult for everyone else. You can shoot some big scores on that course so no lead is safe, particularly after the first round but he's in a good position right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that was a great start for Brooks. The guy is amazing--all he does is win majors. He's put himself in a great position by creating some distance over most of the field. He's proven that he can put four solid rounds together at a major and get it done.

If he can pull it off he would have 6 PGA tour wins with 4 majors. I'm pulling for him just because that would be so great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a hell of a first round. Koepka was my pick going in as I feel like Bethpage really suits his game.
Quote Reply
Re: PGA Championship [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks was an easy choice given his game, his current form, etc. With the length and the soft conditions, there are only about 10 guys that can win this week.
Quote Reply
Re: PGA Championship [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few guys are wetting the bed in today's round...Danny Lee is +5 so far today...falling from -6...
Quote Reply
Re: PGA Championship [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and just like that here comes one of the 10, DJ is up to 2nd.

will be interesting to see how Brooks responds if his pal/scuffle mate/gym bro Dustin posts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope he changed his cell password. That over-the-shoulder camera shared it with the world.
Quote Reply
Re: PGA Championship [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
Yeah, that was a great start for Brooks. The guy is amazing--all he does is win majors. He's put himself in a great position by creating some distance over most of the field. He's proven that he can put four solid rounds together at a major and get it done.

If he can pull it off he would have 6 PGA tour wins with 4 majors. I'm pulling for him just because that would be so great.

but at the same time a little sad. it is a shame the tour has been so devalued for the sake of the Majors and the WGC events. Nicklaus, for all the good he did for the game, is mostly to blame for the over emphasis of the Majors.

i wish they would consolidated the calendar to 30 events and do a better job of requiring players to play a variety of events. I realize as independent contractors it is not that easy, but the tour is partially at fault for giving all the power to the players.

I would love to see someone like Tiger give Colonial or Hilton Head a whirl. Those shorter, old school tight courses don't really align with his game, but would love to see him try and adjust to the unique layouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brooks was an easy choice given his game, his current form, etc. With the length and the soft conditions, there are only about 10 guys that can win this week.

Of the 15, 6 took Tiger, 3 picked DJ, 1 took Rahm, 2 picked Rory, 2 picked Rose. I was the only one who took Koepka.

It was an easy pick for me but with only 1 pick, it's not quite as easy.

Quote Reply
Re: PGA Championship [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thoughts on how the tourney has been moved up? Feels like the Masters just ended and we are already onto a second major. Not certain I care for it. Concurrent with NBA & NHL playoffs, plus baseball games still matter a bit this early.
DVR is getting full quickly
Quote Reply
Re: PGA Championship [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live 10 miles from the course and work 1 mile from the course. Traffic sucks, there is no place to eat without lines out the door, and there are 2500 volunteers trying to live on the cheap in various places.

I can't wait until this damn thing leave town.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
Thoughts on how the tourney has been moved up? Feels like the Masters just ended and we are already onto a second major. Not certain I care for it. Concurrent with NBA & NHL playoffs, plus baseball games still matter a bit this early.
DVR is getting full quickly

I am coming around to it. by mid august i am usually pretty fatigued from the golf season, so i think it has a bit more allure in May. May has always been a weird month for golf (texas swing, etc), and early april to mid june is a long wait for the 2nd major. I think if anything, they should now push the british back, maybe the last full week in july..

now you have a major in april/may/jun/july then playoffs in august.. sould have the tour championships labor day. and then we can all move on to football
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thoughts on how the tourney has been moved up? Feels like the Masters just ended and we are already onto a second major. Not certain I care for it.

I like it particularly since they came up with the FedEx playoffs which is more for money than for the prestige of a major.

If you add the President's and Ryder Cups, there's just too much golf in the fall. Having a major in April, May, June and July is something I prefer and then in the fall having the team events is a good balance.

Quote Reply
Re: PGA Championship [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Thoughts on how the tourney has been moved up? Feels like the Masters just ended and we are already onto a second major. Not certain I care for it.

I like it particularly since they came up with the FedEx playoffs which is more for money than for the prestige of a major.

If you add the President's and Ryder Cups, there's just too much golf in the fall. Having a major in April, May, June and July is something I prefer and then in the fall having the team events is a good balance.

I also like the new season schedule. You mentioned the FedEx playoffs, and I think that's what's behind the change. They don't want the FedEx playoffs to compete against college and pro football. They were probably getting crushed in the ratings against football.

Tournament update--Koepka has stretched his lead to 5 strokes after 9 and -3 for the day. He might run away with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:

There are 33 guys within six strokes of each other right now, from E to two tied at -5. Exciting battle for second. No one within six strokes of the leader (-12).

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: PGA Championship [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koepka. Phone it in. When he's on, on a tough course playing long (see: US Open) he is very tough to beat. He is Lee Janzen with length. No time for rinky dink birdie fests on the grind, just take the toughest tests, toughest fields, and have no mercy. Career grand slam by 2022.. book it.
Quote Reply
Re: PGA Championship [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Koepka. Phone it in. When he's on, on a tough course playing long (see: US Open) he is very tough to beat. He is Lee Janzen with length. No time for rinky dink birdie fests on the grind, just take the toughest tests, toughest fields, and have no mercy. Career grand slam by 2022.. book it.

It's definitely interesting to watch. I'd probably take that bet that Koepka won't complete the grand slam by 2022. He hasn't come close at the Masters and Open, so we'll see. I'd probably bet that he wins more US Opens and PGA Championships.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He hasn't come close at the Masters and Open, so we'll see. I'd probably bet that he wins more US Opens and PGA Championships.

I'd say finishing 2nd, one shot behind Tiger (after hitting it into the water on the 12th hole) qualifies as coming close at the Master's. I'd say Augusta is exactly his type of course and would expect him to win a few there.

As for the Open, that can take some time to win. Mickelson did it after struggling for years, but I certainly wouldn't county anyone out who hits as straight and long as him and is a very good putter.
Last edited by: Sanuk: May 18, 19 3:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
ripple wrote:

It's definitely interesting to watch. I'd probably take that bet that Koepka won't complete the grand slam by 2022. He hasn't come close at the Masters and Open, so we'll see. I'd probably bet that he wins more US Opens and PGA Championships.

minus 20 pts for clearly having no clue what your talking about.. he finished 2nd in this years Masters.
In the 5 opens he has been in he has a 10th and 6th place finish.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: May 18, 19 7:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most boring Saturday in the history of Major's...Brooks still leads by 6 with average play (by his standards)...I'm bored.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
ripple wrote:

I'm just going to pile on because.. I can.

Masters 2019 T2
Open 2017 T6

Huh?
Quote Reply
Re: PGA Championship [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
Most boring Saturday in the history of Major's...Brooks still leads by 6 with average play (by his standards)...I'm bored.

Well there making interesting? by keeping his lead at 7... Wow what a dominating performance.. Still don't get why there is no media hype around this guy..

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still don't get why there is no media hype around this guy.

The media wants either a controversial figure who makes outlandish comments (not common in golf) or does something either on or off the filed that will grab headlines. They also like animated athletes who hit their chest or fist pump to get the crowds going. They want athletes that excite the crowd.

A great athlete that goes about his business with a coolness, some say aloofness, without beating himself up or being overly animated when he hits a good shot just isn't going to grab the attention of most of the fans. A lot of "fans" and the media aren't as interested in golf as they are in the personalities. It's the same in every sport.

If Koepka wins his 4th major, it's one of the most dominant stretches of majors golf in a long time and I believe, he will become the #1 golfer in the world. But, his name isn't Tiger or Spieth or Rory so not many will pay attention. At some point he's going to force people to recognize his talent just because he's winning all the time.

Last edited by: Sanuk: May 18, 19 17:16
Quote Reply

Prev Next