Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Highschool Swimmer - Chronic Fatigue [AEllswrt93] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AEllswrt93 wrote:

We already ruled out mono and Lyme disease.

mono is hard to diagnose so I'm not sure it can be ruled out. Both my sons had it for a year, with the tests coming back negative. Eventually the bloodwork detected the persistent antibodies so we knew they had in fact been sick, but none of the tests captured it in the first stages.
Last edited by: doug in co: Sep 29, 17 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: Highschool Swimmer - Chronic Fatigue [MI Unsalted] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI Unsalted wrote:
Hi. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. It's hard to watch such a decline and not be able to find a definitive answer.

A swimmer on my daughters' club team was diagnosed with Postural Orthostatic Tachechardia Syndrome (POTS). It falls under the Dysautonomia umbrella. Teenage girl with tons of energy and huge success in the pool went from barely able to make it though a day at school. It was disheartening to watch. Luckily, the diagnosis came quickly, but follow through at the Mayo clinic and the timeline for improvement was lengthy. She is now back to the pool and running cross country as well.

I wish her and your family the best in finding an answer.

This describes my daughter to a T (well, not the huge success in the pool). Mayo Clinic gave her life back to her and to us.

I had considered this for the OP, but a lot of the symptoms aren't there. The test is pretty simple, though:

1. Lie down for five minutes, then take heart rate
  2. Sit up quietly for five minutes, then take heart rate
  3. Stand quietly for five minutes, then take heart rate

Someone with POTS will show a marked increase in heart rate from the first to the second to the third reading.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Highschool Swimmer - Chronic Fatigue [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lyme was suggested several times in this thread and was tested for several times. As an engineer, I failed to understand the high incidence of false negatives for some of the simple tests.

We did not realize was that there are multiple test for Lyme and they all have issues. Eventually we had the Western Blot run and she showed some reaction to three of the bands. My wife found a Lyme doctor here in western PA that would treat a juvenile. She started treatment (mix of antibiotics and crazy amount of nutritional products) in February. From my perspective she has been on a slow recovery since then. She does not always agree.

I guess the biggest reason for sharing this info at this point in the game is to hopefully help anyone else in a similar problem.

In parallel, after about a year of trying, her Cleveland Clinic endocrinologist got her in to see their functional medicine group. After some detailed testing for heavy metals he agreed that Lyme was the best fit and recommended she stay "outside the system" with the Lyme doctor.

I just read an article about Angela Naeth's battle with Lyme and it reminded me I had not updated this thread.

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...OOSb3ZOB9m3G67ycQgPk

Thank you for all the council.

Best Regards, Alan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask her if she got herself a boy - could be why she is tired (not all sexually) but it is another fairly large time consuming thing to add to a schedule.

Happened to me when I did HS sports. Life was dived into 2's. School - sports. Then I got a girl and then it was 3's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a lyme disease sufferer myself a few years back, an anti-inflammatory diet also really helped my recovery which is quite long and had its ups and downs. But there is light at the end of the tunnel and hope she fully recovers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next